Best Pizza Places in the USA [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Pizza Places in the USA [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:05 am
Suspended

Pequods Pizza in Chicago is the best pizza in the country, hands down.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I often eat at the original Round Table in Menlo Park, and it's consistently a fantastic medium crust pizza.

I prefer the thinner Neapolitan style but you can't really compare the two, in the same way you can't compare In n Out to a hand crafted pub-style burger.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I will be joining former colleagues for lunch today at Lou Malnati's, IMHO, the best deep dish pizza to be found (spare us the comments about deep dish not being pizza - it's been heard before).
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I will be joining former colleagues for lunch today at Lou Malnati's, IMHO, the best deep dish pizza to be found (spare us the comments about deep dish not being pizza - it's been heard before).
Miss Swede is still diagnosed as having a dairy allergy. However, in addition to being able to eat baked goods containing dairy, she was tested and passed being able to eat baked, melted cheese. Basically, she cannot drink a glass of milk or eat yogurt.

We are celebrating by going to Mellow Mushroom tomorrow, but now Lou Malnati's is definitely on the radar when we visit Chicago.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Originally Posted by jeremylives
round table
Originally Posted by braslvr
I have had very few pizzas in my lifetime that were better than Round Table. Chain or not.
Originally Posted by dgreen12
+1
You nailed it. California style it is, followed by slightly thinner crusted wood fired oven types.
Originally Posted by Madone59
Really? I live right near many here in San Diego and have never been. I'll have to try it out!
Originally Posted by rwoman
Round Table was always my favorite growing up!

Round Table is pretty good. Best for a quick lunch when they have the buffet and you can get in and out fast but still get fresh pizza. Definitely try their BBQ chicken pizza, my favorite.

I live close to the original store and go there once or twice a month.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:19 am

I have had very few pizzas in my lifetime that were better than Round Table. Chain or not.
I've always subscribed to the Pizza Cognition Theory, which is basically that whatever style pizza you first learned to enjoy, is what you really consider pizza.

It's actually an amazing foodstuff in that I've had many, many pizza styles over the years. Some of which I really enjoy (New Haven, for example[1], or the classic New York slice, a good thin crust woodfired pizza). Some of which I have to be in the right mood for (Chicago deep dish). And a few of which I don't really get that much excitement (St Louis Provel pizza, for example). But hey, they all have their place.

So I'm rarely surprised when someone proclaims a pizza to be one of the best, even if doesn't jibe with my experience; they're just evaluating it on a different, but equally valid, set of criteria.

And for the sort of style of pizza that Round Table is? They do a rather good job at it. I can see why people are fans.

[1] The pizza I was brought up on.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:37 am

I disagree. This is the pizza I grew up on, with ground beef:

Later, I had bad frozen pizza. I eat neither now.

I started getting decent pizza when I went to college. I never had deep dish pizza until I moved to Chicago as a young adult. I quickly grew to love it. But, I also love good thin crust pizza, as well as Chicago bar pizza cut in squares. I could probably eat one or the other every day of the week.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I also disagree as I grew up on my elementary's schools Sicilian style pizza. It took until I was 26 to have a Sicilian pizza I could stomach.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Later, I had bad frozen pizza. I eat neither now.
I grew up on this, and I still occasionally buy it. Love the square pepperoni.

Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I grew up on this, and I still occasionally buy it. Love the square pepperoni.
I pictured you as the Mama Celeste type.

Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Pequods Pizza in Chicago is the best pizza in the country, hands down.
Is Pequod's still around?

I lived around the corner from that place for a couple years, late 90's. Always liked their stuff.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: SPG preferred, AA, United
Originally Posted by nerd
Is Pequod's still around?

I lived around the corner from that place for a couple years, late 90's. Always liked their stuff.
I think it is. I went there about a year ago I believe. Honestly the best deep dish I have ever had. I ordered a pie to go for my flight back. The pizza never reached.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by daprophecy
Hey guys, just temporarily relocated to Fort Myers for work. Anyone know any good places around the area? I checked and saw a Grimaldi's but anything besides that? Any help will be appreciated!
I originally lived in Ct. and Tony's pizza is by far the best pizza n the world! brick oven I have lived in South Florida for thirty-five years now and have NEVER found a good pizza place! Northern Florida, there is a place called Stavro's that is pretty good but nothing compared to Connecticut. I drive over to Fort Myers often so if you find one over there
on the west coast, I'd love to hear!
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
John's of Bleecker Street - New York, NY:

Excellent spot. Fun atmosphere, good staff, decent beers on tap (including Goose Island Autumn Ale) and of course delicious pizza. They also got it out really fast despite being packed.

We got a half cheese and a half meatball and ricotta cheese.
Been to the one by times square (43rd ?) It was an old church. It was John's Pizza and it was really good
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by traveler4ever
Been to the one by times square (43rd ?) It was an old church. It was John's Pizza and it was really good
Sure did, my Dad used to work at 4 Times Square so we'd go. We had this running joke about the no slices that to this day amuses us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.