Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:04 pm

deleted

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 17, 2012 at 9:10 pm
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:08 pm

I know this is a ridiculously old qoute but it needs to be said...

Originally Posted by number_6
Talisker is one of the (few) must drink whiskies. Definitely a benchmark, whether you like it or not. The other "must" is Lagavulin (particularly the 16 yo). Also interesting to try is Laphroaig (very iodine-tasting!) and Ardberg. Really superb. My other favourite is Macallan, particularly the older ones (e.g. 25 yo). For these it is best to use a brandy snifter or a burgundy wine glass (big bowl to let you swirl it and concentrate the aroma). Some of the whiskies -- but not all -- benefit from adding a drop of water ... literally a drop, it seems to break the surface tension rather than dilute the whisky. The better ones cannot be drunk with ice, without destroying half their impact.
Around 2006 (coincidence?) I visited my sister in Aberdeen. Me not knowing anything about whiskey decided it would be a good idea to buy something for my then boyfriend. I can't remember which store it was, but I picked up a bottle of 16 year old Lagavulin for about $50. The thinking was that we'll open it on my husband's (then boyfriend) 50th birthday in 2010.

Neither one of us are really whiskey drinkers, so we still have the majority of the open bottle sitting at home. Probably a bad idea to let it sit open that long, I don't know. A sip here and there is enough for me.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CBear
Around 2006 (coincidence?) I visited my sister in Aberdeen. Me not knowing anything about whiskey decided it would be a good idea to buy something for my then boyfriend. I can't remember which store it was, but I picked up a bottle of 16 year old Lagavulin for about $50. The thinking was that we'll open it on my husband's (then boyfriend) 50th birthday in 2010.

Neither one of us are really whiskey drinkers, so we still have the majority of the open bottle sitting at home. Probably a bad idea to let it sit open that long, I don't know. A sip here and there is enough for me.
1. Scotch is whisky, not whiskey.

2. Nothing wrong with having a bottle open that long. 43% alcohol doesn't go bad.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
1. Scotch is whisky, not whiskey.

2. Nothing wrong with having a bottle open that long. 43% alcohol doesn't go bad.
See how much I know?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold

I've heard that after lengthy exposure to air inside an open bottle (particularly as the % of air to scotch increases) the flavors in the whisky will change. Can't really vouch for that personally.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
...Can't really vouch for that personally.
+1. A bottle of single malt Scotch would not last long enough for me to be able to render an opinion on that either.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Wanted to chime in again with a short anecdote. My wife, brother and father and I went to dinner at a very good local place. We had reservations, which they were unable to honor at the designated time (or anything close to it). To his credit, after about 20 minutes of waiting in a crowded foyer, the host asked if he could get us drinks. I said "sure - three scotches and a vodka". Granted, these were on the house, so I won't complain too much, but they served us J&B. I choked it down and made a mental note to never drink that particular brand again. Not to mention that the bartender handed me the bill (which the host quickly took back) and when I peeked inside, each drink was about $10. For J&B?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:54 pm

The Glenrothes 1994 - about $75 at any decent liquor store

Costco's house brand, Kirkland Signature - $50-80ish for 12-18 yr if you can find it. It's generally available only in small quantities, and around this time of year. It's made by Macallan.

Old Pulteney 21 - about $110 online. Recently rated the best scotch around by some critic on PRI
I may check out the Old Pulteney 21. Might have to wait a bit as I did some damage on my CC with a few orders lately.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Highland Park 18, Oban 18, Talisker 18, Glengoyne 17, Glenfarclas 17, Glenmorangie 'Snow Phoenix' and any Balvenie 17. They've got many different barrel treatments these days. wj
Someone gave me a HP 18 as a gift. Heard great things about it but haven't cracked it open yet.

Got a shipment earlier this week....

Ardbeg Uigeadail
Singleton 12yr
Yamakazi 12yr
Hakushu 12yr
Glengoyne 17yr

Waiting for one more box to arrive next week.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
As a Scot, I've been reading the last couple of pages in horror!

Please do not, under any circumstances, put ice in your whisky - it only disguises the taste.

Tap water is perfectly fine, and to be encouraged to taste. Personally, I find there are some which I like better with a touch of water - all Laphroigs, for example; and others which I prefer without water - Talisker 10, Highland Park 18, for example.

And of course, if you are drinking cask strength whisky (typically up to 60%), water is a necessity.

Indeed, for those of you wanting to try something different, I would suggest exploring single-cask, cask-strength bottlings. Because they are single-cask, they are not the bog-standard which you would expect, and you can find some real gems.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Someone gave me a HP 18 as a gift. Heard great things about it but haven't cracked it open yet.

Ardbeg Uigeadail
Singleton 12yr
Yamakazi 12yr
Hakushu 12yr
Glengoyne 17yr

I love Glengoyne 17 - hope you enjoy it! HP18 used to be a big favourite of mine, but perhaps stuck too much with it, and ended up getting a bit tired of it!

Would be interested to hear how you get on with the Japanese bottles - I've heard good things.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 2:04 pm

Lot's of scotch experts here..Thought I would toss out a general question: What is the best value scotch?
Old Dec 10, 2011, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member

Ardbeg Uigeadail
Singleton 12yr
Yamakazi 12yr
Hakushu 12yr
Glengoyne 17yr

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
I love Glengoyne 17 - hope you enjoy it! HP18 used to be a big favourite of mine, but perhaps stuck too much with it, and ended up getting a bit tired of it!

Would be interested to hear how you get on with the Japanese bottles - I've heard good things.
I like the Yamazaki a lot. It is very interesting. There is also a French bottled version of a scotch whisky, the name of which I forget, that is very nice. I like Highland Park 12 and Singleton 12 quite a bit as well. I actually prefer the Highland Park 12 to the Highland Park 18 which I found a bit disappointing given how much I like the 12.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bpo26c
Lot's of scotch experts here..Thought I would toss out a general question: What is the best value scotch?

I think Chivas is a perfectly respectable blend, about $20/bottle.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
As a Scot, I've been reading the last couple of pages in horror!

Please do not, under any circumstances, put ice in your whisky - it only disguises the taste.

Tap water is perfectly fine, and to be encouraged to taste. Personally, I find there are some which I like better with a touch of water - all Laphroigs, for example; and others which I prefer without water - Talisker 10, Highland Park 18, for example.

And of course, if you are drinking cask strength whisky (typically up to 60%), water is a necessity.

Indeed, for those of you wanting to try something different, I would suggest exploring single-cask, cask-strength bottlings. Because they are single-cask, they are not the bog-standard which you would expect, and you can find some real gems.
Err, umm. Isn't ice made from water? So what's the difference?

I personally prefer ice in my Macallan 12 yr but prefer my Macallan 25 neat. Usually by the time I drink it, most of the ice in my glass is still there. So the only water mixed in with my Macallan is the small amount that melts while I drink my scotch. I have added water to Cask Strength Macallan. That does seem better with water. If I'm trying a scotch for the first time (Jura, Talisker etc) I will try it neat before I decide whether to add ice or water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.