Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by zitsky
Err, umm. Isn't ice made from water? So what's the difference?
It's not frozen! Coldness dials down the taste IMHO.

If I'm trying a scotch for the first time (Jura, Talisker etc) I will try it neat before I decide whether to add ice or water
I agree - save for the ice bit, of course
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by littlesheep
What are the best single malts that sell for around 50$ in the US?
I like:

Ardbeg
Laphroaig
Lagavulin

in that order

i don't think there's a best though...

i thought teacher's was ok for an inexpensive blend

i like this guy ralfy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VFn5gA_Rs0
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
I like:

Ardbeg
Laphroaig
Lagavulin

in that order

i don't think there's a best though...

i thought teacher's was ok for an inexpensive blend

i like this guy ralfy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VFn5gA_Rs0
Yeah, I've watched quite a few of his reviews...and particularly enjoyed his series of videos for beginners about nosing, tasting, etc. Very informative.

He also has a website ralfy.com
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:03 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I usually have an Oban around the house for when introducing friends to single malt. It's light and smooth and usually gets them hooked. I save the Laphoaig for when they are ready to move on to smokier and heavier ones.

I'm also a fan of McCallans 18 & 21 because they are easier to get, but I mostly get the Kirkland version (which is 15) when I can, to be more economical since I got my SO hooked on single malt. While he is now much more supportive of me schlepping bottles back from my travels, he also drinks them way too quickly
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I think Chivas is a perfectly respectable blend, about $20/bottle.
I am a huge fan of Chivas but, I have never seen it that cheap for a 12, usually 28 on sale. or 32 normally.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by davef139
I am a huge fan of Chivas but, I have never seen it that cheap for a 12, usually 28 on sale. or 32 normally.
I actually picked up a bottle for a friend last year and I think it was $30.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:53 pm

Surely there must be something better to drink than Chivas Regal? I'll even take Johnny Walker Black over Chivas most of the time. I'll admit that I used to drink it on United flights when it was available, but it was never my first choice.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:58 pm

deleted

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 17, 2012 at 9:22 pm
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
As a Scot, I've been reading the last couple of pages in horror!

Please do not, under any circumstances, put ice in your whisky - it only disguises the taste.

Tap water is perfectly fine, and to be encouraged to taste. Personally, I find there are some which I like better with a touch of water - all Laphroigs, for example; and others which I prefer without water - Talisker 10, Highland Park 18, for example.

And of course, if you are drinking cask strength whisky (typically up to 60%), water is a necessity.

Indeed, for those of you wanting to try something different, I would suggest exploring single-cask, cask-strength bottlings. Because they are single-cask, they are not the bog-standard which you would expect, and you can find some real gems.
Timely advice, I suppose. I noticed that my local kitchen supply store advertised these in a recent mailing:

http://www.chefcentral.com/product/w...ey-stones.html

I was thinking of buying them as Christmas gifts for a couple of friends, but I'm struggling with the idea of putting "stones" in scotch.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't looked for it here in NYC but the last time I bought some, in Chicago at Binny's, it was about $22 I think.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:33 pm

Surely there must be something better to drink than Chivas Regal? I'll even take Johnny Walker Black over Chivas most of the time. I'll admit that I used to drink it on United flights when it was available, but it was never my first choice.
Personally I'm not a fan of the 12yr...but the 18yr is actually a pretty decent blend imo.

Got my other shipment in the mail yesterday.

Glenkinchie 12yr (my current bottle is nearly done)
Laphroaig 18yr
Oban 18yr Limited Edition (7,700 bottles)
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:42 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Timely advice, I suppose. I noticed that my local kitchen supply store advertised these in a recent mailing:

http://www.chefcentral.com/product/w...ey-stones.html

I was thinking of buying them as Christmas gifts for a couple of friends, but I'm struggling with the idea of putting "stones" in scotch.
I was worried about scratching and chipping my glasses with them actually. Woot! had an insane sale on them a month ago. Based on how they are actually selling in stores, there might be another sale in the next few months.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by tcl
I was worried about scratching and chipping my glasses with them actually. Woot! had an insane sale on them a month ago. Based on how they are actually selling in stores, there might be another sale in the next few months.
I considered buying those, but forget about the glasses, I'm worried about chipping my teeth.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:05 pm

Gift suggestions

Hello lads,

I am traveling to parts of Asia later this week, and would like to buy some fine spirits to gift family members and business associates.

I can either buy them here in HOUSTON and check them in my luggage, or buy them in the Duty free shop at the airport in DUBAI.

I am looking for some wonderful, UNIQUE WHISKY (SINGLE MALT OR BLENDED) that I can gift to my business clients and friends.

As you know, Johnnie Walker Black Label is the MOST COMMONLY CONSUMED SCOTCH and VERY VERY POPULAR....but I want something that makes a statement.

I can spend for quality.

Also any suggestions on great unique wines & champagne or any other spirits is welcome.

Thanks so much,
Andrew
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
This thread reminded me of a still extant (at least partially) bottle of Laphroig 18. Sublime one. I need to tend to it. I may search for more Ardbeg tomorrow. It's been cold here.

Ah, that hit the spot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.