Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best City in the world for Food?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Maybe I've been in the wrong part of the UK!

I must admit the only time I've really spent in London was working as an on-the-road transport controller, usually eating at odd hours of the night and morning, when options are rather limited. Much of this time was also spent in some pretty ratty areas of town.
Yikes, no wonder you think the food is bad then!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by bibbju
Apparently he missed the places where all the GOOD fish and chips are served...

OTOH, the fact we talk about fish and chips proves the point, lol...
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Well, yes! Night shifts in ratty parts of London and the West Midlands, grabbing soggy hamburgers and greasy kebabs in-between frog-marching pissheads off night buses, tends to give a person a pretty jaundiced view!

By the way, it was those shifts that earned me the nickname that now forms my FT handle!

Originally Posted by nk15
Apparently he missed the places where all the GOOD fish and chips are served...

OTOH, the fact we talk about fish and chips proves the point, lol...
Fish and chips can be ok if it's fresh. Ullapool in Western Scotland was good. Unfortunately, I did miss the good places most of the time.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 22, 2016 at 11:49 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:08 am

For fish and chips, The Rose in Stapleford, near Cambridge, was always excellent when I lived there. Been awhile though
Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:00 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by nk15
They are there preemptively and for balance/context.

Rotisserie animal heads and brains with fries (these were big in the pre-mad cow disease era, lol), pig feet soup, animal entrails, fishhead soup, snails, frog legs, quails, you know, the usual...
I think you may be underestimating what Americans eat!

Sure, the dishes you describe are not mainstream US food,
but they all have their place. But brains with fries? Everyone
knows that brains go with roast potatoes.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by violist
But brains with fries? Everyone
knows that brains go with roast potatoes.
This is actually correct, the traditional recipe is oven roasted with roast potatoes, but rotisseries don't have ovens and just do fries, lol...
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Well, yes! Night shifts in ratty parts of London and the West Midlands, grabbing soggy hamburgers and greasy kebabs in-between frog-marching pissheads off night buses, tends to give a person a pretty jaundiced view!

By the way, it was those shifts that earned me the nickname that now forms my FT handle!
Brilliant, I love it!!

Wish I could help you with Midlands food venues but I'm always just passing through by car or train and haven't actually stopped off for almost a decade. Might be worth a look at some of these guys if they're still trading. This is pretty typical of what's been happening over the last couple of years:

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/life...e-whos-7607752
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Brilliant, I love it!!

Wish I could help you with Midlands food venues but I'm always just passing through by car or train and haven't actually stopped off for almost a decade. Might be worth a look at some of these guys if they're still trading. This is pretty typical of what's been happening over the last couple of years:

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/life...e-whos-7607752
Good god I am out of touch! This stuff actually looks - well - good! Totally different from my experiences of eating out in Birmingham. I might just have to try out that Texas barbecue place.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Curious, where in Chicago? if the Loop or downtown area, you haven't at all experienced what Chicago has to offer.
I've spent time in the Loop and its environs, and in pretty much all the suburbs, with an emphasis on west (Downers Grove and Naperville). Just not my favorite place. I suspect Skokie and parts north probably would float my boat a little better.

I will say I love the transit system.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: EBD , FBG
Originally Posted by cur
as i said my standard of dining is different than most of yall. when i go somewhere to eat for fun i'm gunning for rich delicious incredible unique food. ribs, pork, chili cheese fries, tostadas, burritos, trinchado, peri peri prawns prawns prawns

if you want to go off the michelin metric (which is certainly a respectable metric) then tokyo should be mentioned yet this seems to have been omitted in the thread. london, like most global cities, have fabulous fine dining (that i have had the pleasure of being dined at) but are not what i would recommend for a food trip. of all my top 10 best culinary experiences, i can only recall 3 that were not on buckets or plastic chairs or its equivalent

op asked for places of eating worthy of acclaim and something to make a trip out of, and the quality of small town bbq joints makes tx (particularly around austin) worthy of a food trip, not to mention that if you have the misfortune of being in houston, you can get any cuisine you want and done right. however i wouldn't reccomend houston solely for a trip (you think i'm that insane?), i'd reccomend mozambique or peru first. however a particular double standard exists if one views taquerias in cali, nev, nm, az, tx with derision yet praises hawker centers in kl or sin.

yes london does bistros and fine dining well, but beyond donairs or fish and chips it's casual/pub dining scene is obnoxious and horrible. gb can't do burgers right... seriously it's just 70/30 meat smashed and with salt+pepper and high quality agricultural produce that gb must have

i was raised poor so "slow fried" chikin, bbq, and taquerias have a resonance. i have been fortunate to done get educated and then live around the world. when these friends/family visit my home i'm proud to share said "cuisine" (quotations others) with them (including the bomb a-- peking duck in houston i'd be happy to send yall to). either they're patronizing me or they really liked eating a loaded pulled pork stuff baked potato with an ice cream scoop of butter in it. or maybe both. i'm just giving my 2 cents.

but seriously london pub food is awful. even toronto is better.

btw i'd love to hear (in good faith) peking duck suggestions, i've had it in pek for weeks, i've had it in hkg and tpe. off us59 in the filthy h was the best i've had yet.

maybe i've been in africa too long
Hi,

Where on 59 is this place with the duck located?
Do you have the name of the restaurant?

I'd like to try it, and am currently in Houston.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:54 am

So many????? Great. I'm not that much of food lover but yes I love to try different kind of foods.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:00 pm

Ah , Birmingham ! Curry capital of the world - decent beer too As for fish and chips - well the best ever was the Golden Galleon in Aldeburgh in Suffolk , but my retrospective memories may have been helped by a nice pint of Adnams in the Ship next door If you want some recommendations for Birmingham , get in touch ..

Cheers , Steve
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
In the U.S., you have to go to New York City. You can find cheap eats to extremely high-end dining across all sorts of cuisines. Probably one of the reasons I love living in the city ^

SF is good, but TBH I don't think it has the same kind of breadth and depth that NYC does. That said, their Asian food (particularly SE Asia and Chinese - not Japanese) is on par, if not better, than NYC IMO. For whatever reason, Japanese cuisine on the West Coast pales in comparison to what you find here.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:39 pm

Tokyo gets my vote. I've heard people say it's impossible to have a bad meal there and I agree.

- Singapore is also excellent but they don't do 'foreign' food as well as Tokyo, and its quite a dull place in general.
- Naples is an outside bet if you like Italian & seafood.
- London is good if you know where to go, as there is a lot of rubbish.
- Paris is overrated - French food is outstanding but the service is horrible and if you ask for anything other than French its death by 1000 stares.
- HK is good for high end food or very local establishments. There are a million and one mediocre cut and paste restaurants in between.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by phol
Tokyo gets my vote. I've heard people say it's impossible to have a bad meal there and I agree.
I disagree, as I've had one. It was a pre-packaged bento box bought at a train station, when I was getting in late and had an early morning meeting the next day I needed to prepare for, and knew I wouldn't have time for a restaurant meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.