Search

McDonald's is building an epic restaurant with all-you-can-eat fries

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 3:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Herb687
In-N-Out's fries are terrible.
^ The first time I had In-N-Out was back in 2008 and I was completely underwhelmed. I never have understood the huge following.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:41 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
^ The first time I had In-N-Out was back in 2008 and I was completely underwhelmed. I never have understood the huge following.
just like the burgers themselves, you gotta get em animal style. it fuses nicely with the ketchup/mayo/relish sause, cheese, and carmelized onions

on their own they're a little starchy, which is how i like em
Old May 4, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
And ketchup goes on the fries, period.
A very good mayonnaise is still king.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I love McDonalds fries!

This will be my table:

Old May 5, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Before 1990, they cooked them in a beef tallow/cottonseed oil blend. They now use a canola/soybean oil blend.
Man, those were the days. Fries were awesome then.

I am sure much healthier now, but I still miss the old ones.
Old May 5, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cur
$15 minimum wage

i guarantee they'll further automate the fry cooking, if they can find a way to do it cheaper than $15/hr+benefits

At what level do you believe the minimum wage needs to be kept in order for McDonald's to eschew further automation?

$7/hr, $8/hr, what?

McDonald's has already implemented significant automation with a ~$7/hr minimum wage. But then McDonald's has been automating their restaurants globally, so that kind of puts paid to the 'minimum wage kills jobs at McDonald's' argument, doesn't it?

McDonald's would be pursing automation 1:1 with technological innovation regardless of what the minimum wage was, even if there was no minimum wage, as machines and software will almost always be cheaper than human beings in performing less complex tasks. Machines don't need meal breaks, don't take vacations, can work more than 40, 50, or 60-hours/week, don't get injured, don't file worker's comp claims, don't get sick, don't have children...

Last edited by anrkitec; May 5, 2016 at 4:20 pm
Old May 5, 2016, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I must be the only one who thinks In-N-Out fries are decent. Sure they're not as crisp as McDonald's fries (unless ordered "well done") but freshness goes a long way.

Speaking of fries, didn't Burger King try some sort of special coating on theirs at one point? I thought that was meh.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by annerj
Oh for my reply to the OP...while I LOVE mcdonalds fries (best in the business IMO) and would love to eat an unlimited amount I can imagine eating more than a medium.

*and even a medium is turning into a rare treat for us
Oh my God!

In Belgium right now and the only country on the planet where they have REAL fries, Quebec poutine comes second, but MacDo fries .

In Belgium we eat fries without hamburgers, just fries with mayo.
Old May 5, 2016, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by tartempion
In Belgium right now and the only country on the planet where they have REAL fries, Quebec poutine comes second, but MacDo fries .

In Belgium we eat fries without hamburgers, just fries with mayo.
I can't believe it took 83 posts for someone to mention Belgium!

I lost interest in McD's fries* years ago, and In-N-Out Burger fries are limp and nasty. Just about any sidewalk frites stand in Belgium outdoes them, and there are a couple awesome frites places in Amsterdam as well. The sauces on offer also put ketchup to shame.

As for all the snide cracks above in this thread about fat Americans and no willpower when it comes to free food, the only person I know who truly indulges in fries is my extremely fit teenager. Something about playing two sports regularly stimulates the appetite...

*As for McD's fries being too salty, in this area they no longer salt the fries at all. You have to ask for salt. WTH is up with that?
Old May 6, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I can't believe it took 83 posts for someone to mention Belgium!
indeed. They really know their craft in turning potatoes into golden sticks of deliciousness.

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
*As for McD's fries being too salty, in this area they no longer salt the fries at all. You have to ask for salt. WTH is up with that?
Easy. if you salt fries too much, some people are going to bring them back and demand new fries with less or no salt. If you hand out fries without salt, people come back and ask for salt.
Old May 6, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by anrkitec

At what level do you believe the minimum wage needs to be kept in order for McDonald's to eschew further automation?

$7/hr, $8/hr, what?

McDonald's has already implemented significant automation with a ~$7/hr minimum wage. But then McDonald's has been automating their restaurants globally, so that kind of puts paid to the 'minimum wage kills jobs at McDonald's' argument, doesn't it?

McDonald's would be pursing automation 1:1 with technological innovation regardless of what the minimum wage was, even if there was no minimum wage, as machines and software will almost always be cheaper than human beings in performing less complex tasks. Machines don't need meal breaks, don't take vacations, can work more than 40, 50, or 60-hours/week, don't get injured, don't file worker's comp claims, don't get sick, don't have children...
When I worked at McD's 25 years ago and made $4 an hour, we kept a few bags of frozen fries in the kitchen (with lots and lots in the 10 degree freezer). When we needed to make a basket of fries, we would open a bag, dump them in the basket, and put the basket in the fryer.

Now, they dump a huge amount of fries into an automatic dispenser which automatically fills a basket. There are about 6 or 7 baskets I think. A worker takes a basket of fries and puts it in the fryer. Because the fry dispenser is a queue of first-in, first-out (or last in, last out, same thing), the fries are not frozen when they hit the fryer. They're just cold. That, plus the crummy grease they use (instead of the unhealthy but much better tasting solid fat at room temperature), plus the ridiculous amount of salt they put on the product, makes McD's fries taste horrible.

It used to be the case that if there was a long line in the drive-thru but few inside, you could go inside and get your stuff quicker. Now, the inside orders get put in the same queue as the drive through, so the time savings are gone. In addition, they make the counter employee help the drive-thru employee put together orders, so if you go inside, you end up spending even more time. I've seen two people inside and had to wait 5 minutes for a stinkin' cup of coffee. Never again! I could pour my own coffee at a convenience store in less time with better quality control -- how much creamer and what type, taste it first (occasionally I have to throw it out because it's old).

Also, when I worked there, I could work 40 hours a week. No more. Part-time only!

Point is -- increasing the minimum wage INCREASES prices, REDUCES employment, and REDUCES quality for the customer. Great idea!
Old May 6, 2016, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
When I worked at McD's 25 years ago and made $4 an hour, we kept a few bags of frozen fries in the kitchen (with lots and lots in the 10 degree freezer). When we needed to make a basket of fries, we would open a bag, dump them in the basket, and put the basket in the fryer.

Now, they dump a huge amount of fries into an automatic dispenser which automatically fills a basket. There are about 6 or 7 baskets I think. A worker takes a basket of fries and puts it in the fryer. Because the fry dispenser is a queue of first-in, first-out (or last in, last out, same thing), the fries are not frozen when they hit the fryer. They're just cold. That, plus the crummy grease they use (instead of the unhealthy but much better tasting solid fat at room temperature), plus the ridiculous amount of salt they put on the product, makes McD's fries taste horrible.
Uhh, OK.

It used to be the case that if there was a long line in the drive-thru but few inside, you could go inside and get your stuff quicker. Now, the inside orders get put in the same queue as the drive through, so the time savings are gone. In addition, they make the counter employee help the drive-thru employee put together orders, so if you go inside, you end up spending even more time. I've seen two people inside and had to wait 5 minutes for a stinkin' cup of coffee. Never again! I could pour my own coffee at a convenience store in less time with better quality control -- how much creamer and what type, taste it first (occasionally I have to throw it out because it's old).
Then don't go to McDonald's.

I doubt they will miss your business.

Also, when I worked there, I could work 40 hours a week. No more. Part-time only!
McDonald's has literally hundreds of thousands of full-time employees.

Point is -- increasing the minimum wage INCREASES prices, REDUCES employment, and REDUCES quality for the customer. Great idea!
Your "point" is nothing more than an example of a post hoc ergo propter hoc logical fallacy.

Absolutely nothing in any part of your post provides any evidence of correlation, let alone causation, for your claim that raising the minimum wage increases prices and reduces the workforce.
Old May 8, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
How many fries can you actually eat in one sitting?
Sadly, I have to admit I can down quite a few. I only allow myself to eat them once a month or so.
Old May 10, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
So far no one's pointed out that the news story, as widely shared, is based on a misunderstanding. McD's is not selling AYCE fries at the new Kansas store to test a new business model, it's offering them as a limited time promotion to drive attention for the new store. The store is the new business model being tested, the fries are just a publicity stunt.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
So far no one's pointed out that the news story, as widely shared, is based on a misunderstanding.
Actually, it was pointed out a week ago:

Originally Posted by anrkitec

"McDonald's Corp. is quashing reports that a coming Missouri restaurant will test all-you-can-eat fries, saying the endless spuds will be available for a limited time only to promote the site's scheduled July grand opening.

The buzz is around a reported "test" of unlimited fries for customers at the pending location in St. Joseph, north of Kansas. But McDonald's spokeswoman Lisa McComb says no such test is in the works." nola.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.