Lingering After You Finish Dining

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lingering After You Finish Dining

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K (Pure AS)
First off, I totally agree with BamaVol's three rules - I think it sums it up nicely.

Additionally, though, there can be a variety of definitions of lingering. I grew up in a family where lingering meant more than about 90 seconds after the bill was paid. I married into a family where relaxing and talking and enjoying after-meal beverages for a half hour or 45 minutes post-bill-payment is normal and not considered lingering. (Though I think both sets of families would agree that three hours is more malingering than lingering...)

Sometimes, it's not just geography that determines culture when it comes to dining!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:07 am

I work in the industry as well and I don't mind you lingering as long as there is no waiting for tables. I'd hope that any guest doing so would tip extra to help make up for any lost turns and potential income for said server.

I'd also hope that anyone lingering when there is a long wait would not get offended if the server or management politely asked them to move along due to people waiting.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jabbered
I work in the industry as well and I don't mind you lingering as long as there is no waiting for tables. I'd hope that any guest doing so would tip extra to help make up for any lost turns and potential income for said server.

I'd also hope that anyone lingering when there is a long wait would not get offended if the server or management politely asked them to move along due to people waiting.
Assuming that there aren't people waiting for tables, should one tip more for lingering, even if the server doesn't continue to bring drinks and such?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by kipper
Assuming that there aren't people waiting for tables, should one tip more for lingering, even if the server doesn't continue to bring drinks and such?
Personally, I'd probably add a few bucks cash when I left, especially if the server still came by to check on everything and see if anything was needed, but having worked in the industry, I normally tip pretty well even for average service including stacking of dishes to encourage pre-bussing and keeping the table neat.

I can see not adding any tip though.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
There are obviously cultural differences - and it is part and parcel of travel.

When I first moved to the USA, I was horrified (! - much younger then and less well traveled, clearly very protected - HA) that waiters would remove plates from some in the party while others were still eating. Wow, in my country that would be incredibly rude. OK, learnt that.

A few years later, one of my bosses is passing through Copenhagen and is asking travel advice (smart guy, he specifically asked how to blend in a little bit better, and what to see/do). He came back and told about a marvelous dinner at a small place where they sat down at 5 pm and just stayed all night. They had three courses, drinks, coffee and the staff just stayed happy. He was as shocked as I had been at the rush.

Now, when I am in the USA, I am usually by myself - I love how if it is busy or I want to get going, this is very easy, just ask for the bill early and they'll help you out the door quick. Or if it quiet, many places (road side diners, mostly) are happy for me to sit there with my guide book or their wifi for another 20 min.

And then comes the assumptions: Last month was my first trip to Canada. I had not even considered that the wait-style would be different from the USA (sorry, but that is the truth), and yet we found in Québec Province that it was much like Europe. Which was awesome, as my colleague and I got to sit and relax after a busy day with the students.

BTW, although in my country you do not have to tip, when abroad I do tip. And until I remember to look up what I'm supposed to tip, I probably tip high. But invariably, eating out is still cheaper than at home, so ok.

The other things on the original list as just rude.

DanishFlyer
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by jabbered
Personally, I'd probably add a few bucks cash when I left, especially if the server still came by to check on everything and see if anything was needed, but having worked in the industry, I normally tip pretty well even for average service including stacking of dishes to encourage pre-bussing and keeping the table neat.

I can see not adding any tip though.
In the situation I'm picturing, the server picks up the paid check, never to return to the table, but does allow you to sit there for as long as you wanted. Add anything to the tip or not?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
This thread takes me back to Mumbai India. In restaurants ( not " fine" dining ambience but excellent food, we just had to congregate by the door. Eyeing all the tables and watch who is nearing the end of their meals ! If they dawdled around on the table we would go to the table and stand behind their chairs, non verbally encourage them to vacate
Most times it worked to be shameless ^
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by HMPS
This thread takes me back to Mumbai India. In restaurants ( not " fine" dining ambience but excellent food, we just had to congregate by the door. Eyeing all the tables and watch who is nearing the end of their meals ! If they dawdled around on the table we would go to the table and stand behind their chairs, non verbally encourage them to vacate
Most times it worked to be shameless ^
If you did that to me, I might " accidentally" push my chair back and hit you in the nuts. Oops.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

In the situation I'm picturing, the server picks up the paid check, never to return to the table, but does allow you to sit there for as long as you wanted. Add anything to the tip or not?
How empty is the restaurant? Does it seem like the server might miss out on other parties if you monopolize the table? If so, add some extra to the tip.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by BamaVol
If you did that to me, I might " accidentally" push my chair back and hit you in the nuts. Oops.
We have fine reflexes. ^ One presumes you were not talking about cocnuts !
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
How empty is the restaurant? Does it seem like the server might miss out on other parties if you monopolize the table? If so, add some extra to the tip.
Pretty empty, no one waiting for tables, etc.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Pretty empty, no one waiting for tables, etc.
Meh, as long as the original tip was good....
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me all of these questions revolve around whether there is a wait for a table or not. If no wait, who cares.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:13 pm

I used to work in a restaurant in the US. It is all about tips. Waiters/Waitresses usually have assigned tables. If you sit at their table for too long, that means they could not get the tip for the next customers for that table. I have never heard of anyone would hang out for 3 extra hours after meal! I think even 1 hour is pushing the edge in the US. But then I know that in Italy, our friends would have 3 or 4 hours dinner at a restaurant. But then they don't tip 20% either, so the waiters would probably like it that you sit there and they don't have to do work and get paid.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMK10
So I work in a restaurant and have a lot of server/waitstaff friends. One posted this link:

25 Most Disrespectful Things You Can Do To Your Server

The only one I disagreed with is:

The way I see it, as long as there aren't a lot of other people waiting on tables, if I'm paying for my meal I get to eat it at the pace I want and leave when I'm ready. Especially as I am a good tipper.

Thoughts?
Even at nice places, people don't linger for 3 hours. Do you really think that people sit there for 1.5 times the time it took to have dinner?

The real answer is it depends on the type of place you're in. If the place isn't full, it doesn't matter. If it's full and low end then why would you even want to linger. At a higher end establishment, you can linger as long as you want. You're dining. Of course, not many people sit around a restaurant for 3 hours eating and drinking nothing.

You should be complaining to whoever wrote that article instead of discussing things here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.