Consolidated "Copper River Salmon" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Copper River Salmon" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2013, 2:44 pm

Costco

I love it when Costco get CRS in. I am in Canada so we get it later than in the US if at all if there is a low production season (even though it must literally fly right over us to get to the US). Not in the store yet but I keep watching. This is one of the reasons I renew my Costco membership each year.
Old May 26, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Copper River Salmon Costco, Indianapolis $14.95 pound..
Old May 28, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Boston area sockeye CRS, $24.99/lb from whole foods. Ate it last night, wasn't blown away.
Old May 28, 2013, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Boston area sockeye CRS, $24.99/lb from whole foods. Ate it last night, wasn't blown away.
Me neither. doesn't taste much different vs king salmon
Old May 28, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
yes, The small retail shop I speak of was opened by the largest processor of salmon & whitefish in the Midwest, this guy goes through the VOLUME assuring me of fresh seafood.
Everything you said was true except the freshest fish still comes from distributors local to the area and then sent by air. And not frozen.

Your huge Midwest guy probably is trucking it in with full reefers at a lower cost since he does volume. Since the trip is long and over very hot climates with reefers are coldest at the front I'd bet it's frozen before shipment. (I once unloaded a reefer full of eggs that only went 300 miles and there was a huge difference in temps from rear to front)

The large grocers are also trucking stuff, most likely frozen as it also has to go through links in their distribution network.

That doesn't compare to fresh fish packed in ice shipped via air.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Try a fresh seafood store that gets it shipped on ice rather than frozen. Boston is loaded with them. Fresh seafood/shellfish gets shipped in from everywhere. Lobsters, tuna and swordfish primarily go out of Boston everyday and a whole lot of other goodies fly in.

to previously frozen "fresh" seafood.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:21 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Don't get me wrong, it's good fish, but the Copper River salmon craze is first and foremost a triumph of marketing. All the TV stations here in Seattle (and I assume in ANC) fall over themselves when the first Alaska Airlines plane full of Copper River salmon lands - example.

The oil content is somewhat higher than fish caught in other drainages, but not that much higher; by overcooking it just a wee bit you can neutralize the advantage over other Pacific salmon.

Later in the summer, fish from the Yukon River run will be available - I defy anyone to tell the difference in a blind test. The folk working the Yukon product are trying to market it in similar manner to the Cordova people, but obviously they're playing from behind.

Would I spend thirty bucks a pound for Copper River salmon? No, I'd buy "everyday" Alaska wild King or Red (or fish from Washington or BC, pretty comparable) and be happy with the $10 - $20 savings per pound.

Costco has good prices, to be sure. However, they also market Russian King Crab (harvested with fewer controls and conservation measures) and let the consumer assume it's from Alaska.

Others may disagree, of course.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

copper river salmon

the salmon arrived a month ago. i have always had trouble finding a wine match.
now: cedar plank grilled coho salmon and sauterne. !!! middle grade, sweet french sauterne.

if you do not like it, feed the fish to the dog, and the sauterne to the wife..........
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
For good Salmon (copper river or otherwise) it is critical that you cook to temperature (135) and not time. If you overcook it you might as well be serving frozen farmed atlantic salmon.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:50 pm

It is copper river season again
Old May 21, 2017, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Copper River King Salmon now at Santa Monica Seafood for $59.99 a pound. Just arrived yesterday.`
Old May 21, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Copper River King Salmon now at Santa Monica Seafood for $59.99 a pound. Just arrived yesterday.`
The run isn't very good this year (half of last year). Here in Seattle it is $35 a pound. Last year it started at $20 and ended up at $10. I think the best we can hope for is $20 this year.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
$14.99/lb in ANC
Old May 22, 2017, 11:47 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I have a 10% discount on any purchase good through Memorial Day. I will not have an opportunity to use it. You are welcome to it; just check in using my mobile number.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by TWA884
I have a 10% discount on any purchase good through Memorial Day. I will not have an opportunity to use it. You are welcome to it; just check in using my mobile number.
Thanks. I use my mobile number when checking in and now have enough points for a $40 discount

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.