Wiki Posts
Search

Mortons Steakhouse

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2009, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO One Pass, SW Rapid Rewards
Mortons Steakhouse

Morton's is probably my favorite chain steakhouse along with Schulas.

I just found an interestng special. http://www.mortons.com/steak-offer/ It is not advertised in the restaurants, and the waiter will not mention it.

Basically, it is $99 or $109 (depending on location) for two. We had it on a recent trip, and it was very good. The filets aren't huge but the meal as a whole should do the trick. Ruth's Chris had a similar special last summer, but this one is better.

Choice of Caesar or Morton's Salad

Two Single Cut Filets

Choice of Two:
Broiled Sea Scallops, Colossal Shrimp Alexander
or Jumbo Lump Crab Cake

One Signature Potato & One Fresh Vegetable to Share

Choice of Two:
Morton's Legendary Hot Chocolate Cake or Key Lime Pie

Last edited by Buzliteyear; Feb 3, 2009 at 6:45 pm Reason: Add Link
Old Feb 4, 2009, 4:16 pm

Thank you! This might work well on that day in mid Feb.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Thanks for the link!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Thanks for posting this - it's perfect timing, as I usually go to a steak place for my b'day dinner. Since Mortons recently opened their downtown Ft Lauderdale location less than a mile from my house, I think I'll use it next week
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP since inception
Originally Posted by Buzliteyear
Morton's is probably my favorite chain steakhouse along with Schulas.
+1 on Shula's, -1 on Morton's.

I just find the flavor of the steaks at Morton's not as enjoyable as the other high end places (including Ruth's Chris).
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
It should be noted that Mortons will honor the special for single diners. ^

They must realize that there are a lot of people (business travellers and others) who dine by themselves.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 7:32 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Buzliteyear

Two Single Cut Filets
UGH!, thankfully one can upgrade "Or $55 per person if you select one of the following three steak enhancements
Prime Ribeye Steak • Single Cut Prime New York Strip" (I left out filet)
Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by yogi4582
+1 on Shula's, -1 on Morton's.

I just find the flavor of the steaks at Morton's not as enjoyable as the other high end places (including Ruth's Chris).
Perhaps I've had to few visits to either to be completely objective, but on two occasions at Shula's, I thought from service to steak, some serious over-rating had occurred.

In the case of Morton's, the steak was pretty good, but the level of pretense and pomposity displayed was a little off-putting. Don't pee down my leg and tell me it's raining.

3 best steaks in last year or so (not counting the one at home last Saturday night)....

Old Chop House and Gibson's, Chicago, and a real surprise, Pappas Brothers Steakhouse, Dallas, out Northwest Highway.

My tastes range from the humble and up....Wednesday evening, I made Chicken and Dumplings, maybe a little peppery for some, but the dumplings (using eggs, a Central European variant) were improved by the addition of some chopped chives. Tonight, company coming, Pork tenderloins now curing in a marinade of lime, garlic and chipotle, to be grilled and served with a ginger/orange/plum sauce and a second based on roasted tomatillos and poblanos combined with fresh cilantro, sauteed onions and garlic anda little oil. A lot less prep and time than Chicken and Dumplings, a lot of work for a dish most cooks forget or never attempt "full" versions thereof.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:01 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Some of us tried this special last night at the Morton's in downtown Houston. Personally, I found the single portion size to be more than I could handle...and I did not upgrade. YMMV, but to get out of Morton's full without having to give them your first-born was pretty refreshing. About $63, tax, title, and license, without beverages.

Best regards,

William
Old Feb 7, 2009, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by TMOliver
Perhaps I've had to few visits to either to be completely objective, but on two occasions at Shula's, I thought from service to steak, some serious over-rating had occurred.
I haven't been in several years, so it's certainly possible that it isn't what it used to be.

For me, that is the case with Delmonico, Emeril's place in the Venetian. For years, theirs was the best bone-in ribeye I had ever had. And I have a special place in my heart for restaurants like that which make sure that, no matter how many people are seated at the table, all dinner plates hit the table at exactly the same time -- a feat they seem to be able to pull this off without resorting to extensive use of heat lamps. But the last two times I've gone, I've been disappointed. Now, I prefer the bone-in ribeye at the Palms.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by TMOliver
3 best steaks in last year or so (not counting the one at home last Saturday night)....

Old Chop House and Gibson's, Chicago, and a real surprise, Pappas Brothers Steakhouse, Dallas, out Northwest Highway.
For me, it's:

- Perry's Steakhouse
- Steiner Ranch Steakhouse
- Joe DiMaggio's

(all in Austin, although Perry's and Joe D's are part of chains)

I've never been to Pappas, but I have heard about it, and look forward to trying it some day.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 1:13 am

Programs: NW Gold, BA Blue
IMHO Morton's has the best product of any chain steakhouse, there meat is the best and they go to great lengths to procure the best product that they can. Other places like Capital Grille do not use the same quality of product. With that said the $99 for 2 is a great deal and I have had dinner at morton's several times since the offer began, which has been quite a while, my father usual doesn't want to have the special I do, so I get it for one and have upgraded my steak to a Rib Eye each time, the only thing is that it is a lot of food and I always have something to take home. I am a big fan of Morton's but my favorite traditional steakhouse is still Gibson's in Chicago and the best Steak I have ever had is the porterhouse at CUT in both LA and Vegas.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Morton's is probably the best steakhouse chain restaurant. I heard the CEO spoke at a conference and really like the philosophy how they treat their customers.

I think Morton's has a very extensive wine list, more than Palm or Ruth's Chris (I am a member of Palm’s 837 Club).

Some trivia I learned from Morton's speech:
1. Morton's started its business during 1978 economy slump. The economy in 1978 was as bas as we are in today (double digits inflation, stock market crashed etc)
2. Morton's started its business to cater Chicago's Playboy Club (it explained a lot for its Chicago basement location)
3. Morton's plays lots of Frank Sinatra's music at the steakhouse because one day Sinatra walked in without hearing any of his music, and he talked to the owner and since then they play Sinatra's music frequently.
4. Besides 80 Morton’s steakhouse, they also own 3 Italian restaurants.

Last edited by Bookexp; Feb 17, 2009 at 5:08 pm
Old Sep 24, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: American express green, Capitol 1 Visa and Discover
For anybody who travels on business does your company allow you to go to
Mortons? if so are the Mortons always in a Mall or does it depend on the area?
when they're in a Mall does Mortons have a dress code?

the Mortons in my area is at a Mall, I don't know if theres a dress code.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by Money card
For anybody who travels on business does your company allow you to go to
Mortons? if so are the Mortons always in a Mall or does it depend on the area?
when they're in a Mall does Mortons have a dress code?

the Mortons in my area is at a Mall, I don't know if theres a dress code.
I have a specific amount for meals, I can spend it how I want. If I choose to go to Morton's no big deal.

I've never seen a Morton's in a mall, the ones I have been to are all stand alone restaurants somewhere in the city.
As for dress code, I go with business casual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.