Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"The Club" new PP lounge at ATL F

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I see two ways that the new lounge could hurt DL:
A third way: It will push people away from the DL AMEX Reserve card in favor of the unbranded AMEX Platinum. Same annual fee, but unbranded gets you into several airlines' clubs and PP select which will get you into this lounge.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:43 am
Used to be hamajicky

Originally Posted by fti
Being in F it won't have much impact on DL SCs. Most DL passengers don't use F concourse or even E concourse, so it is a long trek to get to The Club for the majority of DL passengers. Most passengers don't plan a long layover in ATL just to use a lounge. Even those FF's originating in ATL wouldn't come to the airport super early just to go to F for The Club, especially if their flights depart from T/A/B/C or probably even D.
For me, it's worth the extra 3 minutes on the planetrain for it from concourse B.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AA
Originally Posted by jrmoore
A third way: It will push people away from the DL AMEX Reserve card in favor of the unbranded AMEX Platinum. Same annual fee, but unbranded gets you into several airlines' clubs and PP select which will get you into this lounge.
I really don't see the value in the Sky Club product anymore unless I were a DM again and had complimentary access. The whole idea of salty snacks mixed with rock gut Gordon's Vodka does not do it for me. I also gave up the DL Platinum Sky Miles Credit Card years ago and went with a regular Amex points card - no value for price on the DL card.

My wife just traveled DFW-ATL-DXB in BE and I think it is very embarrassing that she arrived in ATL, went to terminal F and had to leave the SC to go downstairs in order to get something substantial to eat and then go back to the SC before her flight because there was nothing but olives and salty pretzels in the SC. Pathetic!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:54 am
Used to be hamajicky

Originally Posted by donb25

My wife just traveled DFW-ATL-DXB in BE and I think it is very embarrassing that she arrived in ATL, went to terminal F and had to leave the SC to go downstairs in order to get something substantial to eat and then go back to the SC before her flight because there was nothing but olives and salty pretzels in the SC. Pathetic!
I agree that SkyDump "food" is quite bad--but she needn't go downstairs to get something real to eat: on the same floor as the SkyDump, you can get Ecco (my personal new favorite place to eat in ATL), El Taco, Pei Wei, and the Varsity!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:53 am
Used to be hamajicky

The free guest thing starts today:

http://www.prioritypass.com/Lounges/Promotion.cfm

(I don't know why I am posting this so more people can crowd the place ...)
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:28 pm

This works with the Amex Plat right? As in I can take a free guest with my Amex Plat (which should get me in for free)?

I only have an hour layover but I really wanna check it out!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by naseefc
This works with the Amex Plat right? As in I can take a free guest with my Amex Plat (which should get me in for free)?

I only have an hour layover but I really wanna check it out!
You can obtain a complimentary priority pass select membership via the Amex Plat, however you must have your PP membership card for check in. They will not take your Amex Plat at the check in desk as an AC, SC, US Airways Club, or Airspace Lounge would.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I see two ways that the new lounge could hurt DL:

There could be fewer sales at the Luxury Bar in the SC as people who have privileges at both lounges realize that they can get decent free alcohol in The Club.

To the extent that it encourages other carriers to continue service at ATL, especially on lucrative routes, it helps to maintain competition to DL at ATL, with the resulting lowering of fares, number of tickets sold at various price points, and profits. Moreover, carriers such as LH are unlikely to encourage their passengers to book domestic connecting flights on DL rather than their own partners.
The challenge is that it's simply a numbers game. There are tens of thousands that have access to the SC via various routes (estimated, not sure anyone has ever verified the numbers here): DM, paid membership, day passes, AmEx fees, etc. Even if you take a fraction of these out of the SC and they go to The Club instead, it doesn't really hurt the bottom line of the SC. In fact, if they're still paying their access fee for the SC and they're not consuming anything in the SC, that helps DL's bottom line!

Plus, I'm not convinced that people are going to be willing to shell out the fees for guests at The Club. If my choice is take 2 guests into The Club and pay $25/guest or go to OFS and have a nice meal with my guests, I'm more inclined to do that for not too terribly much difference in cost.

I admit, that I'll likely go in to The Club for a visit and take a look around. I have an international flight next week, likely leaving from F, might be time for my first visit. If so, I'll report back my experience!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Chalky White
I don't see what the big deal is with the SkyDeck--it's small, it's hot, because there is no bar outside, you can't get a drink out there (swill or not) and it's a pain to wheel your luggage and your swill through the two sets of doors, and the wi-fi even slower outside than inside, if you can believe that.
Last week when I was there, they had an attendant manning the door and circulating taking drink orders. As for it being hot, yes, it is Atlanta. But some of us actually like warm, sunny summer days! Similarly, I doubt you'll find this wimpy Floridian out there in the cold when the temps drop too far below 70 but I'll bet plenty of other people will fill my seat in weather more to their liking.

Cold weather northern cities like NY have plenty of restaurants and bars with outdoor dining and patios that are only usable for a few months of the year. Why is it OK for them but not for a SkyClub?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Chalky White
I may start arriving at the airport early just for this place.
To echo what most others are saying, I completely agree, The Club at ATL is my new preference over Delta SkyClubs. The food and beverage options are better and it was much less crowded than any SkyClub I've been to (I understand that this can vary greatly, though).

For those that are interested, I've uploaded a short review and a few pictures from my trial visit here: Weekend Blitz -- THE CLUB AT ATL – ATLANTA’S NEWEST (AND BEST?) LOUNGE

Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by cmd320
You can obtain a complimentary priority pass select membership via the Amex Plat, however you must have your PP membership card for check in. They will not take your Amex Plat at the check in desk as an AC, SC, US Airways Club, or Airspace Lounge would.

They definitely only look at my Platinum card when I access the SkyClub or US Air lounge.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 5:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320
Originally Posted by suvayanr
They definitely only look at my Platinum card when I access the SkyClub or US Air lounge.
The above 2 comments seemed a little confusing, to clarify:

Entry with AMEX Platinum Card (whole family free or 2 guests):
  • American Airlines Admirals Clubs
  • Delta Sky Clubs
  • US Airways Clubs (ticket not required--can be flying any airline)
  • Airspace Lounges

Entry with Priority Pass Select Card (ANY guest is $27):
  • The Club at ATL
  • 600+ other lounges
Old Aug 16, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
The above 2 comments seemed a little confusing, to clarify:

Entry with AMEX Platinum Card (whole family free or 2 guests):
  • American Airlines Admirals Clubs
  • Delta Sky Clubs
  • US Airways Clubs (ticket not required--can be flying any airline)
  • Airspace Lounges

Entry with Priority Pass Select Card (ANY guest is $27):
  • The Club at ATL
  • 600+ other lounges
One of the AX Plat benefits is PP membership, along with lounge access to certain lounges. US/AA/DL accept the AX Plat card for entry, The Club at ATL, AS and other lounges accept PP, but not the AX Plat card. The list of PP lounges is actually quite extensive (particularly outside the US)...
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
As an FYI...you may be able to 'sweet talk' your way into The Club for a visit if you have a SC membership card (or persistently talk about how bad the SC has become). Last week, I wondered out to F, having arrived at the airport intentionally early. I asked the attendant if there was any way that I could have a look around since I am a SC member and was on my way to the F SC when I saw The Club (acted like I had no idea it was there). I told her, I wanted to see if this would be a good alternative to the SC given my recent frustration about changes to the SC. She offered to sell me a day pass. I told her that I am a FFer and if I liked what I saw, I would likely be back frequently and after asking to see my SC card (presumably to prove I wasn't BSing her) she let me in free of charge.

First impression, yes, the club is very clean (expected since it is new). It was MUCH less crowded than many of the SCs but really no less crowded that the F SC (I went in there for a few minutes after leaving The Club) in the middle of the afternoon. The bartender was very friendly, was generous on his pours (two drinks at The Club before moving on to the SC). WiFi seemed as slow as the SC. Intentionally tried streaming Netflix and got the same choppiness experienced in the SC. Was able to find a newspaper but none of the magazine selection of the SC (perhaps there but just not observed).

Overall, my sense of The Club is no better or worse than my sense of visiting a brand new SC for the first time with the exception of slightly better alcohol brands. If I had an AmEx Plat or PP membership, perhaps I would use it for The Club but as long as the F SC remains relatively empty midday, I'll probably just stay with what's tried and true or grab a drink at a bar near my gate while I wait or food at OFS.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jsmith50
As an FYI...you may be able to 'sweet talk' your way into The Club for a visit if you have a SC membership card (or persistently talk about how bad the SC has become). Last week, I wondered out to F, having arrived at the airport intentionally early. I asked the attendant if there was any way that I could have a look around since I am a SC member and was on my way to the F SC when I saw The Club (acted like I had no idea it was there). I told her, I wanted to see if this would be a good alternative to the SC given my recent frustration about changes to the SC. She offered to sell me a day pass. I told her that I am a FFer and if I liked what I saw, I would likely be back frequently and after asking to see my SC card (presumably to prove I wasn't BSing her) she let me in free of charge.

First impression, yes, the club is very clean (expected since it is new). It was MUCH less crowded than many of the SCs but really no less crowded that the F SC (I went in there for a few minutes after leaving The Club) in the middle of the afternoon. The bartender was very friendly, was generous on his pours (two drinks at The Club before moving on to the SC). WiFi seemed as slow as the SC. Intentionally tried streaming Netflix and got the same choppiness experienced in the SC. Was able to find a newspaper but none of the magazine selection of the SC (perhaps there but just not observed).

Overall, my sense of The Club is no better or worse than my sense of visiting a brand new SC for the first time with the exception of slightly better alcohol brands. If I had an AmEx Plat or PP membership, perhaps I would use it for The Club but as long as the F SC remains relatively empty midday, I'll probably just stay with what's tried and true or grab a drink at a bar near my gate while I wait or food at OFS.
Interesting. I was in there a couple weeks ago and the plumbing was out, so no ice, no restrooms (you could just go to the ones outside, toward the food court), and drinks in plastic cups. It was odd, but understandable and kudos to the staff for making it work.

I agree that in many ways, I didn't really feel like it was any better/worse than one of the better SCs like ATL F/T/A-Center or MEM (all of which beat the everloving snot out of B-10 or whatever). There IS real food available for purchase, which is nice, but most of the time if I want food, I'm either buying a to-go to take on board or I'm finding a nice place to sit and eat a proper meal - and ATL has so many of the latter.

If I find myself in F without a guest and the weather is not SkyDeck friendly, I'll likely use The Club just for a change of scenery, I guess. But I doubt I'll be going out of my way to use it over the SCs by my gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.