Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta AMEX (and possible AMEX card upgrad) questions.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta AMEX (and possible AMEX card upgrad) questions.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Question Delta AMEX (and possible AMEX card upgrad) questions.

Hi all. I looked for a similar thread, so I apologize if this is a duplicate.

I currently have a Delta Gold Skymiles card. (Had it for some time.)

I have (in the past) received a discounted companion fare voucher. (For $99). I see that this is no longer advertised. Has this benefit gone away? (As in, will I get one for this year?

Also, I see they are not advertising it for the Platinum card. So, if I upgrade from the Gold card to the Platinum card, will I lose it?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Hrmm interesting catch. Quickly searching I noticed the same thing, no reference to the companion certificate any more. Sucks because I was thinking of upgrading to the Platinum Card too and just became eligible to do so.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by FlyingBear
Hrmm interesting catch. Quickly searching I noticed the same thing, no reference to the companion certificate any more. Sucks because I was thinking of upgrading to the Platinum Card too and just became eligible to do so.
Why upgrade? Why not to be safe book with the cert, get the BIZ Plat card to get new card bonus (you don't need to be a biz), then once you have that cancel the Gold personal? Then you get another free cert with the biz plat. Next year, get the plat personal and get the new card bonus again and a new cert. The next year rinse and repeat!^
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer
Why upgrade? Why not to be safe book with the cert, get the BIZ Plat card to get new card bonus (you don't need to be a biz), then once you have that cancel the Gold personal? Then you get another free cert with the biz plat. Next year, get the plat personal and get the new card bonus again and a new cert. The next year rinse and repeat!^
Do you like destroying your credit rating?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
There are a lot of factors in play when it comes to your credit card rating. Many people successfully churn credit cards and have high credit scores. There's quite a bit of discussion on this in the MilesBuzz forum, and plenty of suggestions to check out other credit-related forum websites.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by TankerT
Hi all. I looked for a similar thread, so I apologize if this is a duplicate.

I currently have a Delta Gold Skymiles card. (Had it for some time.)

I have (in the past) received a discounted companion fare voucher. (For $99). I see that this is no longer advertised. Has this benefit gone away? (As in, will I get one for this year?

Also, I see they are not advertising it for the Platinum card. So, if I upgrade from the Gold card to the Platinum card, will I lose it?
I just received my 1st companion pass voucher (1st AmEx Gold annivesary).
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by johnslloyd
I just received my 1st companion pass voucher (1st AmEx Gold annivesary).
My suspiscion is that they have eliminated the benefit for all future card holders. Past cardholders should be grandfathered in.

Seems like the certificate benefit is not on the gold or reserve pages either.

Either way though, new card or upgrade, I guess I'm less motivated by going to Platinum. I don't think I'll meet the $25k spend requirement so I was just targeting the 5k MQM signup bounus and the free companion voucher. If the latter is off the table, then I'll have to think twice if its worth it for a one time MQM bonus.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Do you like destroying your credit rating?
Nope I do 10-12 cards a year and always have a 750 score or higher! Churning works great for me and many others.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingBear
My suspiscion is that they have eliminated the benefit for all future card holders. Past cardholders should be grandfathered in.
I just called AmEx Reserve number, and agent said that the companion cert is absolutely still available. No idea why it's no longer mentioned on the advertising summary page, but you still get it.

Certs by the way are only good for certain fare classes in Reserve:

"Seats are only available in A and I classes in First Class service, and only available in L, U, T classes in Economy Class service and may not be available on all flights or markets."

Last edited by ElPresidente; Jan 27, 2012 at 4:20 pm
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Mmm- I got mine a month or so ago. Not used it. Not sure.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Nope I do 10-12 cards a year and always have a 750 score or higher! Churning works great for me and many others.
Do you cancel the old cards as you churn? Or leave all those old cards/accounts open with a $0 balance?

I'd love to hear more about this churning business as I have some balances I'd love to consolidate and get back on a 0% promo rate.

Can you point me to any good reading about the churn techniques?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
@MSP_Monopoly - I would start with Frugal Travel Guy's blog. He has some posts in 2008 that lay out much of the technique.

Back to the AMEX companion tickets - here is a link that compares cards with companion tickets for AMEX - the only card left with a companion ticket is the AMEX Platinum (not Delta). The companion ticket is one of the main reasons that I got the Delta Platinum AMEX.

They should continue to be a benefit of the Gold/Platinum/Reserve card, but not on new offerings. My Mother just used her annual $99 certificate for my sister. It saved over $350 for the 2 tickets. She was planning on upgrading to the Platinum at her anniversary date, but I guess she won't now.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KathinJax
@MSP_Monopoly - I would start with Frugal Travel Guy's blog. He has some posts in 2008 that lay out much of the technique.

Back to the AMEX companion tickets - here is a link that compares cards with companion tickets for AMEX - the only card left with a companion ticket is the AMEX Platinum (not Delta). The companion ticket is one of the main reasons that I got the Delta Platinum AMEX.

They should continue to be a benefit of the Gold/Platinum/Reserve card, but not on new offerings. My Mother just used her annual $99 certificate for my sister. It saved over $350 for the 2 tickets. She was planning on upgrading to the Platinum at her anniversary date, but I guess she won't now.
This is major bad news for the DELTA PLAT and RESERVE AMEX. Good catch finding this new "enhancement". Not just that but the PLAT non-delta is for BIZ or 1st only from their reservations dept according to T&C:
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:15 pm
Suspended

As a follow up - just called AMEX, talked to "Allen", and was told the DELTA PLAT and RESERVE companion ticket is NOT, repeat NOT going away. You will get it after your first year when you renew. Time will tell and the rep could be wrong.

It no longer shows up in the T&C as before: https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...PageDisclosure or for the Reserve card T&C https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...PageDisclosure

Here are the OLD T&C btw: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...amex-delta.png

Last edited by Renes Points; Jan 27, 2012 at 4:22 pm
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:59 pm

As a follow up - just called AMEX, talked to "Allen", and was told the DELTA PLAT and RESERVE companion ticket is NOT, repeat NOT going away. You will get it after your first year when you renew. Time will tell and the rep could be wrong.
Thanks for digging into this one deltagoldflyer! I appreciate the extra effort you put it. I'll probably bide my time a bit until the dust settles, but hopefully that agent is correct and it was just an oversight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.