Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

So what's new with the Delta Sky Clubs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER

Last week, Canarsie and I had the opportunity to attend the ribbon-cutting ceremony celebrating the grand re-opening of the newly renovated Delta Sky Club at Delta’s Atlanta Worldport on Concourse A across from Gate A17. With greater than 55,000 visits each month, this Sky Club – currently one of nine in Atlanta – is the busiest lounge in the Delta Sky Club system.

The newly renovated club has a much more open look and feel. The bright and colorfully renovated club – decorated with sleek lighting fixtures and aerial photography – measures nearly 16,000 square feet, accommodating more people. It provides an inviting and comfortable oasis for travelers before, between or after their flights.

The conference rooms, workstations and walls were removed from the upper area of the club and you can now stand in the middle and see out the windows on both sides of Concourse A. The Sky Club team heard our feedback, and the renovated club now incorporates extensive use of electrical outlets throughout this Sky Club ensure that power is available to more members.

As a point of interest, this club, which has undergone several renovations, was the first Delta “Crown Room” when the new Atlanta Hartsfield mid-field terminal opened in 1980. Check out the 80's hairstyles and briefcases! Many thanks to Marie Force, Archives Manager, Delta Air Transport Heritage Museum for providing the picture and validating that the A17 Crown Room was Delta's original Flagship club in ATL.

Canarsie and I also have the pleasure of being able to meet with Kelley Moore, General Manager, Delta Sky Clubs, as well as several members of her team. We got additional insight into some of the changes will you be seeing in the near future - Look for the opening next week of the 5,700-foot club on Concourse D, near gate D27. The D concourse club which will be the first club located on the ramp level in ATL, and will also mark the first time that Delta has had a club on every concourse in Atlanta. We will have pictures of that new club shortly after the opening. This will be followed up by the opening of a new roof top club in Seattle at the end of August, with great views of Mt. Ranier.

What’s in store for 2012? – Look for the opening of the 10th Atlanta Sky Club in the new Maynard Jackson International Terminal, also known as Concourse F, as well as some expansion of the Concourse E Sky Clubs, including increasing the number of showers from two to eight!

Once the flurry of action over the next 30 days slows down a little, we will be meeting with Kelley and her team again to gain some additional insights on the futures for the Sky Club program. We will have an exclusive “behind the scenes” discussion on what additional changes and services we can expect with the Sky Clubs over the next year. We will also be working to help foster an interactive dialogue with FlyerTalk members and hopefully develop a mutually beneficial relationship with the Sky Club program team in the future, including an opportunity for some Q&A dialogue. So stay tuned, there will be a lot more to come.

Finally, as I committed, we are working on a comprehensive on-line guide for FlyerTalk members of all the Atlanta Sky Clubs This will include a map of the clubs, hours of operation, amenities, and a set of pictures of each of the clubs. I have of course solicited support from the ever helpful Canarsie who in addition to being a FlyerTalk moderator is also an incredible photographer! We now have a very comprehensive set of pictures that we will be sharing with everyone in the guide. Look for that to be completed in the next few weeks.

In the meantime, we hope to see you in a Sky Club soon. Safe travels!

P.S. Check out my favorite picture from our photo shoot last week.

Last edited by atldlff; Aug 16, 2011 at 9:17 pm
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Thanks for the update.

A few rambled thoughts...

I just came out of the new A17. The upper section is much more open. I was surprised to see the same bar.. There is a lot of open space on the main level....

Not digging the new furniture, but it is in line with MSP F/G.

The one thing that is odd, is that it is like old meets new. Kind of like a half classic/half new feel..... It smells cleaner.

Looking forward to the club on D.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Great news that Seattle's opening is targeted for late August! I'd been hearing much less optimistic dates from the ground staff in SEA, so this is a welcome surprise.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Thanks for the update. Really love the 80's photo, reminds me how much I miss the old furniture. Sorry, just not a fan of this mod trend at the lounges.

One thing not mentioned was power outlets. You may recall this was a big thing after the remodel at LAX. Nice job and all there but no outlets in the filled-in rotunda. Do you know if there are more outlets now in A17?

Also love that photo of you. Reminds me of George Clooney looking out at the plane in Up in the Air.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:55 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Thanks for the very informative post. Looking forward to seeing the SC on D concourse before long.

Were they pretty confident about the SEA opening at end Aug? I have a red-eye out of there in early Sept and would love to check it out.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:13 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
One thing not mentioned was power outlets. You may recall this was a big thing after the remodel at LAX. Nice job and all there but no outlets in the filled-in rotunda. Do you know if there are more outlets now in A17?
I can assure you that there are dozens of outlets in this Sky Club — plenty for everyone.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Is A17 in ATL the largest Sky Club in the system?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:55 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Is A17 in ATL the largest Sky Club in the system?
From the post, I took it as busiest. Not largest.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by james318
Granted I have not been to all of the SkyClubs in the system, but have been to most. The A17 club does strike me as having quite possibly the most square footage of any club with the possible exception of the DTW A-Center club. The "upstairs" part of the A17 club did go back a good ways; just seemed like that space was not the most efficiently-used in the old design.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:12 am

That renovated Sky Club was originally supposed to be more open but — from what I understood — nobody knew about the hidden support beams that now divide the upper level of the Sky Club from the lower level, so they incorporated those beams into the design of the Sky Club itself.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Nice infomercial.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:32 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Thanks for the update. Looks nice. Glad they kept the bar in A17. My SC membership expires the end of this month, and I only have one more trip in August, so I guess I better check it out.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:40 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Nice post. Reads almost as well as a Delta press release.

Originally Posted by james318
Apparently the MSP F/G club is the 2nd busiest in the system...

A 12,500-square-foot club at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, near the entrance to Concourses F and G. This facility is Delta's second-largest club by customer volume.
http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1427
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:17 am

The A-17 Delta Sky Club in Atlanta is the most frequented, while the terminal club in Detroit is largest in terms of square footage.

Also, the two Sky Clubs in the E Concourse in Atlanta will be combined and — once completed, which is expected to occur in Spring 2012 — will be the second largest Sky Club.

Finally, to re-confirm: the Sky Club in Seattle is certain to open at the end of August.
Originally Posted by Sabai
Nice infomercial.
...but wait! Act now and you will receive a Deltamatic® food processor for only five easy payments of $19.95!!!

It slices, dices, roasts, broasts, bakes, cakes, fries, grills, steams, chops, boils and kneads!!! You must submit your recipe for a Biscoff® olive loaf using only the refreshments served in Sky Clubs as its ingredients to take advantage of this limited-time offer!!!

But we’re not done yet: we will even remove a payment for you and supply you with a free widget with your order!!! Just pay for shipping and handling!!!
Originally Posted by TheMoose
Nice post. Reads almost as well as a Delta press release.
Thank you. We will take that as a compliment.

Also, full disclosure is necessary here: we have received absolutely no compensation for helping to bring information to FlyerTalk members who are interested in learning the latest about the latest news about Delta Sky Clubs.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The A-17 Delta Sky Club in Atlanta is the most frequented, while the terminal club in Detroit is largest in terms of square footage.
And once again, MSP is denied bragging rights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.