Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by kipper
How was it?
pretty good (and unfiltered); I'd order it again but probably not go out of my way to find it
Originally Posted by Zorak
​​​​​​Sounds like a pretty good place, but not the best -- was Superlative all booked up?
the housekeeping staff certainly deserve superlatives for creativity
Attached Images  
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I would go to Manhattan Beach and if you enjoy seafood, make a reservation at Fishing with Dynamite (tough reservation in tiny restaurant),but they do take walk ins and have a nice little bar. Their sister restaurant is Manhattan Beach Post is next door and not as seafood-centric. Also excellent. Easier reservation. It will be about a 15 minute cab ride from LAX. Suggest enjoying a walk around Manhattan Beach Boulevard. Beautiful area, 1 block from the ocean. For a 9:AM connection, suggest checking in to a hotel in the area.
Enjoy!
Originally Posted by jrl767
concur ... Fairfield and Courtyard in El Segundo have shuttle service from/to LAX; I'm not aware of many properties in Manhattan/Hermosa Beach that do
concur ... maybe 8-10 min by taxi/Uber from El Segundo hotels
Thanks, Fishing with Dynamite looks excellent. They seem to accept reservations on OpenTable 3 months out, so I'll set a calendar reminder to make a reservation.

I don't see many hotels right in the Manhattan Beach area, so we'll plan to stay at either an airport or El Segundo hotel. I'm not too concerned about loyalty programs since it's a quick overnight and we can get breakfast in the lounge in the morning. I looked to see if there was billeting available at LAAFB, but it appears they use Fort MacArthur which is 20 miles away .

Edit: Forgot to quote Zorak's post. I don't understand the obsession with In-N-Out. We have 3 of them in San Antonio anyway if I want their miniature burgers. I'll take Five Guys or a local burger joint over that any day. About 2 miles from my house is a burger restaurant/bar/biergarten that only serves Texas beers on all 50 taps of their outdoor bar.

Last edited by mattp1987; Jun 26, 2017 at 10:13 am
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Thanks, Fishing with Dynamite looks excellent.
I thought that is illegal.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Got waitlisted for a miles upgrade ICN-ATL in late July.
Do these ever clear or am I screwed?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by apodo77
Got waitlisted for a miles upgrade ICN-ATL in late July.
Do these ever clear or am I screwed?
What day? It really depends. ATL-ICN doesn't look as bad as other TPAC routes can be, since it's newer and KL is also on that route.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by WWads
What day? It really depends. ATL-ICN doesn't look as bad as other TPAC routes can be, since it's newer and KL is also on that route.
Saturday 7-29-17.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Gotta love 757s.

...!! Boeing 757 using the REVERSE GEAR - Skiathos Airport - YouTube

Doubt that would work with the fat pig that is the 739.
Looks like the secrets of what we did in the 757-200 sims a few years ago are finally getting out.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Looks like the secrets of what we did in the 757-200 sims a few years ago are finally getting out.
Apparently some pilots previously used thrust reversers to back out of gates, when tugs weren't available. Mostly with DC-9s and TriJets.

I don't think it's allowed anymore.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
That sounds like a fun Fifth Freedom route.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Apparently some pilots previously used thrust reversers to back out of gates, when tugs weren't available. Mostly with DC-9s and TriJets.

I don't think it's allowed anymore.
Because they have no aircraft with approved powerback procedures in Delta's operating certificate.

Delta could do it with the NW DC-9's, if they still had any. The DC-9 powerback process was developed originally by Republic (or earlier by Eastern?), with the details worked out & approved by the manufacture & FAA & the airline and recognized in Republic's operating certificate. NW got those approvals when they merge with Republic.

The weight of the parked airplane flattens the tires, which require extra thrust to get rolling. Starting in reverse with enough thust to roll would tip the plane, so they go forward first, towards the terminal , then reverse.

For the most part, Northwest quit doing powerbacks for reasons of fuel economy. They were brought back during the mechanics strike in 2005 when they didn't have enough people otherwise qualified to drive the tugs (had been part of the striking mechanics' contract).

Delta could probably get approvals to do them with their MD-9x & 717 aircraft, if they wanted to. Delta has been rather sensitive to fuel economy issues, so that seems unlikely.

Generally, any high-wing aircraft would be able to do powerbacks (low-wing aircraft w/ engines under the wings kick up too much debris). The only aircraft I aware of that still do powerbacks are high-wing turboprops (Q400, ATR-72) and the C-17.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:09 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jrl767
pretty good (and unfiltered); I'd order it again but probably not go out of my way to find it

the housekeeping staff certainly deserve superlatives for creativity
LOL, nice tie!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
props to SuperG1955 for his recommendation to stop at the Heritage Hjemkomst Cultural Center in Moorhead MN ... the Viking ship was an amazing sight, as was the story of its construction and 1982 voyage from Duluth to Bergen
Attached Images    
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:37 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I need a she shed.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I need a she shed.
So translate for me please because I am English ya know. Is that the female equivalent of a man cave?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I need a she shed.
wash it shomeshing he shed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.