Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:49 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Your bags certainly can be easily checked through to final destination, both directions. Just show your other ticket.

I doubt NW will be able to give you BP for DL flight, and vice versa, since they are not on same ticket.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 1:33 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Originally Posted by mcjava
Your bags certainly can be easily checked through to final destination, both directions. Just show your other ticket.

I doubt NW will be able to give you BP for DL flight, and vice versa, since they are not on same ticket.
Having made this exact connection on about six occasions, I can tell you that the luggage will be quite smooth, and the connection time is more than adequate if your incoming flights are even close to on time. You will have to aquire onward BPs at NRT. The hardest part is finding the DL connection desk to get your BP, but it isn't so hard that it will hold you up. NW has their own terminal of sorts, so finding their connection desk is easy.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
Having made this exact connection on about six occasions, I can tell you that the luggage will be quite smooth, and the connection time is more than adequate if your incoming flights are even close to on time. You will have to aquire onward BPs at NRT. The hardest part is finding the DL connection desk to get your BP, but it isn't so hard that it will hold you up. NW has their own terminal of sorts, so finding their connection desk is easy.
Have you been through NRT since DL moved from the new terminal 2 (out with JAL, etc) into the old terminal 1? DL's online desk is where Cathay's used to be, around gate 17 or 18.... NW even has some flights at those gates now. Seems weird after using that little section before for so many AA and CX flights .....

IIRC, you only need to show your e-ticket (or paper ticket) to prove your ongoing flight, and you can go through security after landing, then walk on over to the online transfer desks... and since NW and DL are same terminal now, it should be quite easy since the transfer desk is in the same circular gate area that the gate is at.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 1:41 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Thanks to both of you - I feel more comfortable with this unless there's a lengthy delay on one of the originating flights (which can obviously happen on any itinerary).
Old Sep 20, 2007, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
birthday boy: be sure to visit the brand new NRT NW WorldClub in satellite 1. Thanks to thezipper, here are some pictures.

(BTW, when are you going? I'll be in BKK in late Nov.)
Old Oct 8, 2007, 6:02 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Does anyone have any updates on what lounge DL uses for BE passengers for the return to ATL? A search shows that in 2002 DL used a JAL lounge.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA *G
Originally Posted by peteropny
I'm hoping to fly the ATL-NRT flight on DL which arrives in NRT at 2:25PM connecting to NW NRT-BKK at 6:30PM and returning on BKK-NRT on NW arriving at 2:00PM connecting to DL NRT-ATL at 4:30PM.

My question is on the connection in Tokyo since these are on separate tickets. Would I be able to check-in (also checked baggage) with DL for the NW flight and NW for the DL flight on the return? If not, I assume that I can check-in at the lounge (which one does DL use anyways?). Please also correct me if my assumption that the connection time is perfectly fine.

Thanks!!
I believe DL and NW operate out of the same terminal in NRT (North 1). Since you would be transferring air side to DL - you should make it comfortably.

NRT has had some of the fastest turnover times for baggage handling, immigration, check in etc. I would fancy my chances of making this connection even if I had to clear immigration and check in through the terminal!
Old Oct 13, 2007, 8:03 pm

SEA-NRT-SIN: connection times/baggage

First time I'm doing this run on outbound NW7/NW5 and inbound NW6/NW8.

Anyone experienced any issues on connnection time at NRT (< 2h) or baggage transfer? Do they put the gates close together??

Tks!! - First time on WBC on NWA/A332 so would also like your seat/row recommendations.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 8:28 pm

NRT is NWs hub in Asia. Flights to NRT are specifically designed with the idea that Pax will continue to other destinations such as SIN.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by mustang7071
First time I'm doing this run on outbound NW7/NW5 and inbound NW6/NW8.

Anyone experienced any issues on connnection time at NRT (< 2h) or baggage transfer? Do they put the gates close together??
Not a problem. Published arrival time for SEA-NRT is 1725 and NRT-SIN leaves at 1850, which gives close to 1.5 hours to connect.

You'd usually arrive in NRT about 45 minutes earlier anyway, and besides, NW 7 has an approx. 90% on time rating.

Also, NW 7 continues on to SEL at 1845, which is 5 minutes before NW 6's scheduled departure.

All NW flights operate from Narita's Terminal 1, so you won't be crossing a desert to connect.

The A332-3 is a great series. Its interiors are modern, stylish and cool. You're lucky to experience this twice in a row each way.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Why are you checking bag(s)?
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:46 am

Programs: UA Silver
All you need to do at NRT is to clear security. You won't have much time to enjoy the worldclub but having a try of the decent japanese noodle there is a nice idea.

You don't have to worry about your bags there at all. You'll meet them at SIN.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 2:46 am

To all,

Tks for the info - great reassurance.

To boxo,

Check-in due to high-maintenance-skin == bazillion litres of skin care products
(that must be a new reason for check-in luggage, huh!?)
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:52 pm

I'd have to agree about checking luggage. With the liquid rules it's getting harder and harder to do long travel with just carry-on. In particular if you're traveling with a companion what has cosmetics. I put a change of cloths on the carry on and whatever toiletries I can get through security.

Other than that, it's checked luggage all the way and travel insurance that covers baggage delays.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 4:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I wasn't disputing the need to check luggage in general, but OP called this a "run", so thought it was a quick turn, hence wondered why the need for checking luggage. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.