Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using SkyMiles with Alaska Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:00 am

Thanks!

Thanks for the answers, I appreciate the helpful information!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
You should definitely call a few times! (I repeat: call a few times!)

Heres what I happened to me this week:

Looked on NWA.com and delta.com for award ticket DTW-ANC for July2010.
Found terrible availablity for low-price coach tickets from both sites, but on delta.com, I found a direct NWA flight DTW-ANC coach, and a ANC-ORD-DTW first class with AK-air! All for 42,500 miles. I booked it.

Later that afternoon, I thought to myself: Maybe I can get a lower milleage fare if I called? Or if not, maybe I can somehow make both outgoing/return tickets first class for the same/similar milleage?

I called NWA PLAT elite line and the CSR can't do better for lower miles, but said that she did see a AS first-class flight from ORD-ANC cheap...but she can't cancel my delta.com award ticket, so she transferred me to the delta CSR, who claimed that it would cost me $50 to cancel the award booking, eventhough it was less than 24 hours. I argued and of course, lost. For some strange reasons, she gave me the 1-800 number to the "Delta elite line" and told me that I won't have to wait as long if I called them...

I then called the NWA elite number again and asked to cancel my current award ticket. She said that she can't do it because it was booked on delta.com, but was very helpful in transfering me to "her counterpart at delta" and after waiting about 10 minutes, it was done. My award ticket was cancelled with no $$ cost or one of my 2 freebie cancellations. Unfortunately, she can't work the same magic in finding cheap DTW-ANC tickets in coach nor first class, even though I gave her all the flight numbers... The best she can do was 70,000 miles for DTW-ANC first class.

I called NWA's elite line again and they can't help either. I was almost ready to give up and rebook the same delta.com flight I got earlier...

Then I gave the delta elite line another call, and after walking the CSR through some different flights and dates, she was able to get me DTW-ORD-ANC-ORD-DTW on first class on AL (plus the short puddle jump from ORD to DTW on DL and NW). All for 45,000 miles. This CSR was very patience and friendly. She was working from SLC (for those of you who track these things)

All in all, it was frustrating that this can't be done by myself online. It wasted about over an hour of my time on the phone (and Delta/NWA's phone time). More frustrating is the lack of consistency and (lack of) knowledge in DL/NWA's various policies on award availability, flight segment policies, and refund/cancellation policies.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, United GS, Hilton Diamond,
Is it possible to book award travel on Alaska Airlines?

Trying to book BUR to SEA but on D.com it only gives me routings through SLC. Alaska has nonstop service BUR-SEA. Is there a way to book this?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I believe that DL/AS can only access the other's low bucket award seats. Check AS.com and see if the award if available there at low pricing, if so time to call Delta.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver
It seems that as of recently, DL.com no longer shows any AS award. DL.com also no longer shows intra-europe awards on AF/KL.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
historically it's not been a problem for me to book award seats on AS - even in F

but tonight I am seeing the same - no BUR-SEA direct flights on AS are showing up in the award calendar. must be a bug in the new software they just deployed. I'd call customer service to find flights that work for your schedule

all the best,

GMF
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2 MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
You can still book AS flights on delta.com

1) Find the low award flight on alaskaair.com
2) Search the same flight "by schedule" on delta.com

Good luck!
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
As above, unless it has changed in the last couple of months, it should work fine.

Was able to book spouse on an MKE-MSP-SEA and back itinerary earlier this year. She traveled w/ someone who had (award) tix on AS, and I was able to match up the wife on the same flights.

Actually, now that I think about it -- the DL Desk didn't even see the AS inventory, but I was able to book online w/ no problem (AS I WAS ON THE PHONE W/ DL).

Weird, but it worked.

p.p.s YMMV

Last edited by TommyD2; Oct 8, 2010 at 7:52 pm Reason: Likey everything else w/ DL, sometimes it just depends
Old Nov 25, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL, UA, Avianca, Mariott Gold
Skymiles on Alaska

Kinda a noob question but can you use skymiles to book a flight on alaska or are you only able to earn them on alaska? Thanks
Old Nov 25, 2010, 6:22 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
You can redeem. Best to call in.

Redemption partners.
Originally Posted by Delta.com
Delta/Multi-airline Awards

To view the miles needed for Award Travel on the airlines below, see SkyMiles Award Mileage Chart.

* Delta
* Aeroflot
* Aeromexico
* AirEuropa
* Air France
* Air Tahiti Nui
* Alaska Airlines
* Alitalia

* Avianca
* China Airlines
* China Eastern
* China Southern
* CSA Czech Airlines
* Hawaiian Airlines
* V Australia Airlines

* Jet Airways
* Kenya Airways
* Kingfisher Airlines
* KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
* Korean Air
* Malaysia Airlines
* Tarom Airlines
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...ndex.jsp#delta
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:09 am

Anyone know if it's possible to combine Delta and Alaska miles for a single award ticket?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by littlegreenmen
Anyone know if it's possible to combine Delta and Alaska miles for a single award ticket?
Not without severe penalties through points.com so its really not worth it...
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:53 am

Using Delta Miles on Alaska Airlines

How do I book an award ticket on Alaska airlines using Delta miles? Can I book the ticket online? Can I do it via the Alaska site using my Delta skymiles number? It seems Alaska requires less miles than using Delta for the same itinerary.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Welcome to FT!

AS is one of the few partners that you an book on the DL website. Note that you don't want to use the flexible date search/award calendar, as that will only search DL flights. If you can find a flight on the AS site at the saver pricing level, then you can book it with your DL miles on DL.dumb. Do search by schedule and select the flights you found on the AS site. You'll be charged the DL mileage rate for your route at the low price band if you only use AS flights.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Is the award inventory using delta website accurate? I.e. will it show me ALL the available award flights? Or should I do more work (look on Alaska's site and then call?)

I ask because I'm exploring the possibility of flying up to FAI (Fairbanks) to see the northern lights one weekend. I'm finding 25K (low award) flights, but the connection/arrival times are not good...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.