Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issue with phantom DC+ and F upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Avis PreferredPlus
Issue with phantom DC+ and F upgrades

Over 5 times in the past 6 weeks I have received upgrade emails from Delta, either to DC+ or F. The problem is ... I wasn't actually upgraded. This is incredibly frustrating. Most of the time the system just triggered the email (sometimes the day of the flight, sometimes days in advance). One time the system actually gave up my seat in DC+ when F was full. The system now saw me in F and wouldn't let me select a seat back in DC+. I called the Medallion desk and they spent 45 minutes trying to figure out how to get me back into DC+. In that time the DC+ seat was selected by someone and I was sent back to the main cabin. Infuriating.

This happened again yesterday when I was flying from DFW-LGA. The rep in the SkyClub was very nice and pushed me into F. BUT, he said that the problems are getting worse and not better, and that corporate doesn't seem to be 'hearing' the customer complaints.

Last week I called the Medallion desk again and they transferred me to 'corporate customer service.' The rep there answered the phone, immediately told me "I can listen to your problem, but I can't do anything about it." I responded, "You haven't heard about the problem, or even asked for my name yet!" Their service is going down the toilet.

Any suggestions?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't corporate customer care supposed to be for ex post issues, I.e., you contact them for compensation or a customer service gesture after the incident?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Avis PreferredPlus
The Medallion desk agent said that it is an issue that should be escalated, and then transferred me over.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't corporate customer care supposed to be for ex post issues, I.e., you contact them for compensation or a customer service gesture after the incident?
Yes. This is who I'm dealing with now on my own issue. Last year when had issue on the outbound called in before returning and reservations handled it.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Same thing happened to me & wife (separate trips) this week.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:07 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
E-Mail is the problem

Flying LAS-SLC-SAN this weekend, and got two "You've been Upgraded" for the LAS-SLC segment. Only problem the was the upgrade didn't actually show on Delta.com or the Delta app until I got the second e-mail, which was a day later than the first.

No big deal for me on this trip. My theory is that the e-mail notification is borked, not the actual upgrade process.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by jason_g
Over 5 times in the past 6 weeks I have received upgrade emails from Delta, either to DC+ or F. The problem is ... I wasn't actually upgraded.
It can take a while for Delta to recognize and fix computer problems.
Specific to your problem:

1. You're a Plat. I thought Plats got instant upgrades to DC+ immediately after booking. I just booked about a dozen segments for my Plat wife. Every one of them allowed me to check "Request Upgrade to DC+ (and to First Class with another check-box). Immediately afterwards, which is just after booking, I can change her seats to DC+

2. For those First Class non-upgrades, have you noticed if the First Class cabin's seats are getting filled? This is hardly definitive, but might give an indication of whether you're actually getting skipped, or ---

3. Perhaps the upgrades didn't actually clear and Delta is sending out a bunch of "false positive" e-mails saying it did. If this is the case, I'd be a whole lot less upset than actually being bypassed in the upgrade queue.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jul 29, 2016 at 12:30 am
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Last month, I was given an upgrade to F at 24 hours out but not assigned a seat, there was a message in my reservation that said something like, "seat assigned at gate". I couldn't choose any seat - not in DC+ nor in F.

When dropping off my bag, the agent gave me sort of a strange look and started typing. She said, "Are you flying standby on this flight?"

I said, "No, this is how it was originally ticketed."

She said, "Well, your reservation shows a confirmed seat in F but no seat assignment and also created a standby reservation for you in Y."

It took her about a minute of typing to clear out the standby reservation and force a seat assignment for me in F (the last seat, actually). She giggled and said, "Well, it does say that you've got a confirmed seat in F so I went ahead and gave it to you..."

Really no idea what happened but it seems that for a time, at least, I had 2 reservations generated on the same flight and no seat assignment for either even though I had picked something shortly after reservation.

Flight ended up going out relatively empty but had this happened on a full/oversold flight, I wonder what would have happened (and if I would had been stuck in a middle seat at the back - if able to get a seat at all!).
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by DAV2355711
Flight ended up going out relatively empty but had this happened on a full/oversold flight, I wonder what would have happened (and if I would had been stuck in a middle seat at the back - if able to get a seat at all!).
If F is full, but you are confirmed in F as an upgrade, you can either

1. Take a coach seat and ask Delta afterwards for some miles for your trouble.
2. If coach is also full, ask gate agent for Involuntary Denied Boarding compensation (Gets you some $$)
3. Get reassigned in first class for the next available flight with space in F.

Glad it worked out for you, though.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: Delta SM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Silver
I haven't seen this happen before to me but will watch out for it based on this thread. I always choose a C+ seat immediately after booking but I still get the "you have been upgraded" email later on.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jason_g
..he said that the problems are getting worse and not better, and that corporate doesn't seem to be 'hearing' the customer complaints.

Last week I called the Medallion desk again and they transferred me to 'corporate customer service.' The rep there answered the phone, immediately told me "I can listen to your problem, but I can't do anything about it." I responded, "You haven't heard about the problem, or even asked for my name yet!" Their service is going down the toilet.
DL is good usually, but when things get out of "system" and you need to talk to someone to reconcile the issue, it's all "crickets". It's like being alone in the wilderness and NO ONE is listening.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bowgie
It can take a while for Delta to recognize and fix computer problems.
Specific to your problem:

1. You're a Plat. I thought Plats got instant upgrades to DC+ immediately after booking. I just booked about a dozen segments for my Plat wife. Every one of them allowed me to check "Request Upgrade to DC+ (and to First Class with another check-box). Immediately afterwards, which is just after booking, I can change her seats to DC+

2. For those First Class non-upgrades, have you noticed if the First Class cabin's seats are getting filled? This is hardly definitive, but might give an indication of whether you're actually getting skipped, or ---

3. Perhaps the upgrades didn't actually clear and Delta is sending out a bunch of "false positive" e-mails saying it did. If this is the case, I'd be a whole lot less upset than actually being bypassed in the upgrade queue.
Only get the upgrade if there's WU available at time of booking. Otherwise they have to wait for WU space to open up to be upgraded.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I used to get the upgrade emails at the window after selecting C+ at booking (as a PM), but they seem to have stopped. However, with my trip tomorrow things are even weirder.

Turns out I'm going to be on the same flight as a coworker, who also happens to be a good friend. Both tickets booked through DL.com, separate PNRs, no other companions, one-way nonstop tickets. He's on a T fare and I booked directly into W - mostly because it was only $10 and that was worth the gamble just to see if there was higher UG priority.

Friend is FO with a DL Plat Card. I am PM with a Reserve card. My PNR still shows UG to FC Requested (as it has since booking), but friend received the email at his FO window last night and has a confirmed seat in F. Call to DL results in "your UG is requested but there are no medallion UG seats available right now" line.

It's a 90 minute flight and I don't have the time to fight it all that much, but....wow, something behind the scenes is seriously messed up. Check-in is this afternoon so I'll be curious to see where I actually end up on the UG list.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by gooselee
I used to get the upgrade emails at the window after selecting C+ at booking (as a PM), but they seem to have stopped. However, with my trip tomorrow things are even weirder.

Turns out I'm going to be on the same flight as a coworker, who also happens to be a good friend. Both tickets booked through DL.com, separate PNRs, no other companions, one-way nonstop tickets. He's on a T fare and I booked directly into W - mostly because it was only $10 and that was worth the gamble just to see if there was higher UG priority.

Friend is FO with a DL Plat Card. I am PM with a Reserve card. My PNR still shows UG to FC Requested (as it has since booking), but friend received the email at his FO window last night and has a confirmed seat in F. Call to DL results in "your UG is requested but there are no medallion UG seats available right now" line.

It's a 90 minute flight and I don't have the time to fight it all that much, but....wow, something behind the scenes is seriously messed up. Check-in is this afternoon so I'll be curious to see where I actually end up on the UG list.
Fascinating data point. Any chance the coworker has a corporate ticket designatior and you don't? Any idea what your underlying fare class is?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
I'd suspect some Delta-side IT error (not visible to gooselee) is surpressing advance upgrades. Happened to me for a while in fall 2014.

For me, the pattern was Plat wife (separate PNR) would get an upgrade at the window, and mine would process only at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.