Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Melodsal
This is great news and I can't wait for it to start.
It has been a tough battle many of us have been waging trying to raise awareness and voices against the #DoomsdayMay16 policy.
Old May 19, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: DLDime & MM - Marriott LifePlat - Hertz Prez - Hyatt Dissapointedist
Originally Posted by carljanderson

I think I responded to every Fight survey I received since Nov. When it asked "How likely are you to recommend Delta to others" my scores were never 4 or 5. I always explained that there should be something for 1 companion when traveling with the Medallion. However, I didn't think they'd go this far (or even listen).
Ditto! They did / do "listen" and kudos for that!
Old May 19, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Renes Points
It says higher of the two status levels. To me, me as Diamond and someone with NO status means I am higher but I am sure Delta will tell more soon.
Renes' interpretation is possible. Delta needs to clarify if General Members are excluded.
Old May 19, 2016, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's a transfer of upgrades from DMs to certain lower tier elites.
Yes, that's correct. It's like RUC's -- another fake benefit that doesn't create more net upgrade space (except for SFO/LAX-JFK).

In my case, wife gets "some" benefit because she is one tier lower than me (plat), but overall I'd rather not have this new so-called benefit.

Re-reading the posts, I see that the change really helps people screwed over by Delta's new C+ policy. I'm sympathetic, but I'd prefer the new "free companion upgrade" to apply ONLY to C+. Then I'd be totally supportive of this to correct a real and unnecessary problem Delta created in monetizing C+.

Last edited by Bowgie; May 19, 2016 at 11:45 pm
Old May 20, 2016, 12:02 am

What if Only One Seat is Available?

Others have alluded to this.

Suppose one F seat is available, and the upgrade list looks like this:

1. Diamond Bowgie + my Silver Nephew
2. Mr. Plat Businessman traveling alone

What happens? Two possibilities:

1. GA calls me to the podium and asks if I want the upgrade (and leave Sonny in cattle class).

2. GA sees ONE open seat, and goes to the highest ONE seat request on the upgrade list.

Now I'd like THAT one clarified by Delta.
Old May 20, 2016, 1:35 am

I perceive this as another devaluation of my DM benefits. I travel for business and never have a companion with me on such trips.
Old May 20, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Others have alluded to this.

Suppose one F seat is available, and the upgrade list looks like this:

1. Diamond Bowgie + my Silver Nephew
2. Mr. Plat Businessman traveling alone

What happens? Two possibilities:

1. GA calls me to the podium and asks if I want the upgrade (and leave Sonny in cattle class).

2. GA sees ONE open seat, and goes to the highest ONE seat request on the upgrade list.

Now I'd like THAT one clarified by Delta.
1) is what happens today. I've declined an upgrade when only one seat was available a few times
Old May 20, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
Excellent...I see this as them fixing the snafu on Comfort+ with a single companion. Glad I made my complaint known.

Let's not act like they are ever going to leave 2 unsold seats in FC available to make this an issue...
Old May 20, 2016, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
I perceive this as another devaluation of my DM benefits. I travel for business and never have a companion with me on such trips.
It's a devaluation if you're competing against a Diamond in a higher fare bucket (or same fare/earlier request) who also has a companion upgrade request. How often do you think that's going to be the case?
Old May 20, 2016, 6:27 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It's a devaluation if you're competing against a Diamond in a higher fare bucket (or same fare/earlier request) who also has a companion upgrade request. How often do you think that's going to be the case?
As a single traveler, that's EXACTLY what I'm trying to figure out!
Old May 20, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
I like this change a lot. I like the idea of the rare instance that I do travel with a companion, we can at least sit in C+ together, and possibly F/J.

I think it won't have as much of an effect overall as people might think as far as the UG list for DMs. Most of us travel alone anyway, especially during the week. Maybe Saturday/Sunday flights will get more competitive.

I am sure Delta will adjust inventory accordingly so that UG rates stay similar at lower levels, which may be beneficial for everyone.
Old May 20, 2016, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
You can not please everyone. As a DM I gift GM to my wife as one of my benefits. So if she is traveling with me, she now gets a better UG shot. Lets give this some time and see how it pans out.
Old May 20, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by huskerchad
I don't see that verbiage. It says Medallion members traveling with a companion quite clearly. True, the example is two medallions, but all the other language I see just talks about a companion.
Originally Posted by John DELTA
Actually, if you quote the verbiage it states: "Medallion members traveling with one companion"

Not "Medallion members traveling together" the policy does NOT state that, as you have it written.

So re-read that exactly as they have written it.
Yep, these are my thoughts and questions too. I am often traveling with my non status wife. It seems, based on how I'm reading/interpreting the new wording, we will clear for C+ & F upgrades at my status level.
Old May 20, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
This is not a good change for me. For business, I usually buy first. When I travel for vacation, I'm on low fares. Now I'll be trumped for upgrades by another diamond's low or no status companion. If it this had been limited to comfort plus/EC, it wouldn't bother me much. But getting jumped over for open first class seats by someone's travel buddy strikes me as unfair to those who travel actually earned the status.
Old May 20, 2016, 6:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
You can not please everyone. As a DM I gift GM to my wife as one of my benefits. So if she is traveling with me, she now gets a better UG shot. Lets give this some time and see how it pans out.
You hit on an interesting point (maybe off topic and should be in another thread). If your wife, when she travels, mostly travels with you then this change may very well shake up what Choice Benefit we all pick each year as well! @:-)^:-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.