Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Y Class Upgrades Discontinued April 30th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y Class Upgrades Discontinued April 30th

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:45 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I am a little confused by this part of the priority:

Delta Reserve Credit Card Members will still have a higher prioritization within their Medallion peer set for upgrades.2
2Upgrade Priority within the same Medallion tier and fare class family is applicable only to Basic Card Members.
So is it Reserved or Basic card members? And what is "Medallion peer set"? Does that include status and fare class or just status?

Does a DM Reserved on a T trump a DM no-Amex K?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by TTT

So is it Reserved or Basic card members? And what is "Medallion peer set"? Does that include status and fare class or just status?

Basic cardmember = primary cardholder. You don't get the reserve tiebreaker if your spouse has the account. Reserve cardholders get priority over the same status and fare class.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by TTT

I believe that Amex defines "basic card member" as the primary card member of any product. So this benefit would not apply to additional cardholders. I think this is the case, though I am not 100% sure. In any case, this is confusing terminology.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by MS02113
Not really. Y fares are typically much more expensive than discounted first class fares (i.e., P, A, and G).
So, by the sound of this, coach award tickets for a Diamond would clear before a revenue ticket for a Platinum, correct?

If so, for DM's willing to gamble, doesn't this mean we can reasonably start booking coach domestic awards but now stand a very high chance of upgrading?

If so, very valuable change imo.

Jamie
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
So, by the sound of this, coach award tickets for a Diamond would clear before a revenue ticket for a Platinum, correct?

If so, for DM's willing to gamble, doesn't this mean we can reasonably start booking coach domestic awards but now stand a very high chance of upgrading?

If so, very valuable change imo.

Jamie
DM coach award tickets have always cleared before PM revenue tickets at least for as long as I've been flying DL. BTW, all awards I've ever booked have been coach and I've only missed an upgrade a few times.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:43 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Widgets
Basic cardmember = primary cardholder. You don't get the reserve tiebreaker if your spouse has the account. Reserve cardholders get priority over the same status and fare class.
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I believe that Amex defines "basic card member" as the primary card member of any product. So this benefit would not apply to additional cardholders. I think this is the case, though I am not 100% sure. In any case, this is confusing terminology.
Thank you both. That makes sense now!

I am still curious as to what Medallion Peer Group means and whether that is just status or if it is a combination of status and fare class.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:28 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
BTW, the title of this thread is basically a complete lie.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson
DM coach award tickets have always cleared before PM revenue tickets at least for as long as I've been flying DL. BTW, all awards I've ever booked have been coach and I've only missed an upgrade a few times.
Thank you for this. I think I'll stop booking F domestic awards. But companions are not eligible, right? So, keep booking F for the Mrs, but book Y for me and hope for the best?

safe travels - jamie
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
BTW, the title of this thread is basically a complete lie.
No it isn't. It's very accurate. [Immediate] Y class upgrades are ending.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets
No it isn't. It's very accurate. [Immediate] Y class upgrades are ending.
LOL, sure, if you add at least one more word to it (e.g., immediate) it could be accurate, but as it exists right now, "Y Class Upgrades Discontinued April 30th" I don't know how any reasonable person could claim that is accurate.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
LOL, sure, if you add at least one more word to it (e.g., immediate) it could be accurate, but as it exists right now, "Y Class Upgrades Discontinued April 30th" I don't know how any reasonable person could claim that is accurate.
It's accurate because OBVIOUSLY no reasonable person takes it to mean that Y class tickets are ineligible for any upgrades. Most people know that Y class tickets are eligible for immediate upgrades, so that's the implicit adjective: immediate.

Speaking of words, you called it a "complete" lie. At best, it's a half-truth, but only if you are "completely" unfamiliar with Delta's current upgrade policy.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
One new tie-breaker mentions spend requirement:

"If all else is considered equal, members who have spent at least $25,000 in the current calendar year on their Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express will enjoy higher priority"

Does this mean literally "current year", such that if in January or February, Delta will have spending records for the new year, or will Delta use the previous medallion qualifying year's spend? Perhaps it should be taken literally, but it would be nice to have further clarification.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: Delta PM
Still trying to make sure I fully understand the new rules on Y fare.

So if I (PM) am travelling on a Y fare with my non status companion we will be dragged down to the bottom of the list behind all those with status? Is that correct? Prior to 4/30 we would have had priority behind anyone using a GUC (or a DM on a Y fare). Am I getting it?

Thanks.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee

So if I (PM) am travelling on a Y fare with my non status companion we will be dragged down to the bottom of the list behind all those with status? Is that correct? Prior to 4/30 we would have had priority behind anyone using a GUC (or a DM on a Y fare). Am I getting it?

Thanks.
I believe so. Y fares no longer get special treatment, they are treated like all other upgrades. Y is still the highest fare class, but a companion would would indeed put you behind everyone. However, unless you are restricted from buying first class by your employer, you can often get discounted F for cheaper than full Y.
Old May 1, 2016, 11:09 am

Oh man, for the first time in my life I bought some Y fares for December! Hope the speculation is right that they will still be prioritized. I have no problem that a DM's would be ahead of me but I bought Y specifically so that we would have higher priority (travelling w/ a companion). Subscribed!

Are you sure you would have ever been given much priority with a non-status companion?

What route are these tickets for?

I am surprised there is a route where upgrades matter much (i.e., more than a couple hours) where you can't buy a FC fare in advance (even a refundable one) for less than a coach ticket in the Y fare class. For example, I just looked at PWM-SEA for December 23rd (Friday) to December 26th (Monday), which I would imagine are some of the most expensive FC fares around for December, and a flexible first ticket is several hundred less than a full-fare Y coach ticket.

I'm just trying to help you here, because I think you're either mistaken in what you've bought and/or making a mistake in what you're buying for what you want to accomplish (fly in first class and/or have a refundable ticket).

Also, I'm surprised at least one of your segments wouldn't have cleared already, before the rule change, if you really had a full-fare Y ticket and it wasn't dragged down by having the non-status companion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.