Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

5901 Miles till Platinum, is it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5901 Miles till Platinum, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by nikitta28
what could possibly go wrong? ...
doesn't matter ... that's when you request immediate rebooking to home with ORC (original routing credit) as "trip in vain"
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
another option

Get a Platinum Amex card --yes, you can get it even though you have the reserve.

Spend $1,000 and get 5k MQMs.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...Platinum_Exact

Of course, you can always stay Gold and let the mile roll-over.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I'm really on the fence. Currently a GM, and just 4478 MQMs short of Platinum.

PM is head and shoulders above GM, and is quite tempting, especially with four RUCs involved.

Then again, if I make PM, I rollover nothing, and have a steep climb back to GM for 2017, and have no chance of keeping PM. I'm not a business traveler, so 50K MQMs is quite a lot, especially with no paid TATL trips planned next year. I can count on 15K MQMs from Delta reserve spending, which certainly helps. I have no desire to drop to FO, since it is essentially worthless at this point (although choosing RUCs at the last minute as a PM would allow me to have four almost guaranteed upgrades as an FO).

Decisions, decisions...
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Gold
Maui/OGG one day out .. one night/day back under /$1k about 9k mqm
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
To each his/her own, but I can't see what "benefits" would warrant spending all that money.

Also, and I'm sure many of you will think of this as blue-state silliness, but I'm concerned about how environmentally damaging airplane travel is and I would never fly 25,000 miles (the circumference of the earth) without needing to actually get somewhere.
not nearly 25k but going to do 19k run for DM for the GUCs.

i mean SEA-PVG/PEK weekend is only 600-650 for about 13.5k miles it is pretty ok price + cheap same day SEA-JFK-SEA.

DM and PM benefit is worth running for then GM or FO~~
i would never do it for those lol but DM for the GUCs and way better services..... :P
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by WatchTimes
I am going to go ahead and do a run.
Just need to find the least amount of time I can be gone for the most miles.
Cost isn't really a big issue.
Sure I don't want to spend 4K but under 2K and I am good.
also if you have a big run, get the wifi pass, it is worth it and you can still be productive on the go
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by gretchendz
Get a Platinum Amex card --yes, you can get it even though you have the reserve.

Spend $1,000 and get 5k MQMs.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...Platinum_Exact

Of course, you can always stay Gold and let the mile roll-over.
unless you upgraded from Plat to reserve after amex life time limit~~

I did because Reserve usually don't do sign up bonus and it was giving me 10k mqm + 10k miles anyways
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by WWads

PM is head and shoulders above GM, and is quite tempting, especially with four RUCs involved.

Then again, if I make PM, I rollover nothing, and have a steep climb back to GM for 2017, and have no chance of keeping PM. I'm not a business traveler, so 50K MQMs is quite a lot, especially with no paid TATL trips planned next year. I can count on 15K MQMs from Delta reserve spending, which certainly helps. I have no desire to drop to FO, since it is essentially worthless at this point (although choosing RUCs at the last minute as a PM would allow me to have four almost guaranteed upgrades as an FO).

Decisions, decisions...

with how medallion program develops it is almost certain it is better to get PM this year the next year. so I will say get PM this year and try GM next year, with 15k MQM from reserve you are just 35k away. if you get a long mileage run before year end with cheap fare like LAX-XXX-SVO or SEA/LAX-Asia etc for cheap you will have some rollover.

plus it doesn't really matter even if you are FO except for the upgrades.

Reserve gives you

Priority check in
Priority boarding,
Priority security,
SkyClub access when on DL market & operated flight (Some say even ticketed)

but it can be easy to get GM again with some MR>
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

Then again, if I make PM, I rollover nothing, and have a steep climb back to GM for 2017, and have no chance of keeping PM. I'm not a business traveler, so 50K MQMs is quite a lot, especially with no paid TATL trips planned next year. I can count on 15K MQMs from Delta reserve spending, which certainly helps. ...
I'm seeing a fair number of $395 G fares for DCA-SEA, which is 3600-4400 MQM depending on routing; you might be able to finesse some interesting (and higher-yielding) SDCs ... two of these RTs ($1600) will get you PM plus ~12k rollover
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Can I wait until the last minute to choose the RUCs, so that I would have them for 2017 in the event that I drop to Silver?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:20 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If I was that close to Platinum and was forecasting a significant amount of travel for 2016 I'd do a MR.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
Platinum is worth it if 1) you'll use the RUCs and 2) book award travel you may cancel - and thus avoid cancelation fees.

Otherwise rollover.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Youll get the most 'change' in perks from moving up to PM. Access to C+ at booking (space available etc etc....stupid new change), waived fees on award ticket redeposits.
No more C+ at booking until Delta walks back its recent "enhancement".
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jrl767
doesn't matter ... that's when you request immediate rebooking to home with ORC (original routing credit) as "trip in vain"
"Trip in vain" gets you your money back, not ORC (maybe you can get ORC, that would be nice, but I haven't had it happen yet).
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I wait until the last minute to choose the RUCs, so that I would have them for 2017 in the event that I drop to Silver?
Yes. They last for one year (though sometimes they can be applied to flights after the deadline providing they clear before the deadline).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.