Wiki Posts
Search

Can I skip a segment with Skyteam RTW?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles/Aeroplan
Can I skip a segment on a Skyteam RTW?

During December 2014 I was informed about Delta discontinuing RTW using miles. I booked a last minute itinerary in Business that later needed some stitches, both on my side and also because of some changes by partner airlines. I will be starting the itinerary in YYZ.

Originally, I was booked RGN - ICN - NBO, but Korean discontinued ICN - NBO. Delta RTW alternatively booked me RGN - KMG - BKK by China Eastern, connecting with Kenya Airways to NBO.

I'm upset for two reasons: The KMG - BKK segment is in Economy. Nobody likes to pay for C and fly Y. Also, the flights leave RGN late afternoon and arrive BKK three hours before my NBO flight. It means, anything goes wrong and I will be stuck in BKK. Have I said that the airline is China Eastern? Actually, I have only one hour cushion, as I'll need two hours for all the security and red tape. Also, Kenya is the only Skyteam airline that flies that route.

I would rather buy a ticket with Garuda RGN - BKK non-stop early in the morning for just $100.00, deposit my suitcase at BKK left-luggage and spend the day in Bangkok without worries and stress.

Can someone answer me the following questions? Am I legally allowed to skip segments in a Skyteam RTW trip? When I show up for check-in at the Kenya counter will they interrogate me about missing two previous flights? Can I be denied boarding? In case I'm allowed to skip, should I call Delta and inform them about my plans? I will appreciate any help by FTs familiar with the rules regarding this situation.

Last edited by danaraujo; Aug 3, 2015 at 4:48 pm Reason: title
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was this ticket paid with miles or money?

You CANNOT skip a segment but you can call DL ASAP and say that you're unhappy with the change and suggest something else. If an open jaw is otherwise allowed by your ticket, you can propose that. DL normally cannot open award space on partner flights, so that's probably why the one segment was booked in economy. Do your research to determine what you want of what's possible and then call.

Skipping a segment will result in the remainder of the ticket being cancelled. There was a story on FT within the last year of an AA RTW honeymoon ticket where the hotel's charter flight service caused the OP and new wife to miss a segment leaving the Maldives. It was a very expensive mistake as the airline insisted that the couple return to the Maldives and resume the trip there using dates with available space for the remainder of the ticket.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

MSPeconomist:

I tried an open jaw, but the agent refused my request. I am travelling westward and Bangkok is East of Yangon. I will keep trying to see if the airline releases seats in C, but the stress of a tight connection overcomes the displeasure of flying for 2 hours in Economy. Also, the consensus on FT is that Chinese airlines still have some room to improve regarding reliability and customer assistance when things go wrong.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
RTW awards allow a few "land transit" segments (which basically means you get yourself from D-E on your own). You are allowed free changes, so just call DL.

BTW, there was a recent post (within the last couple weeks) from a DL employee explaining that the RTW desk was still more or less open and how to access it.

Just call.

EDIT: Missed your second post with the east/west issue. I would still try again using the schedule change as a rational.

EDIT2: VN or CI? DL likes to push China Eastern, but they have other ST airlines there.

Last edited by exwannabe; Aug 3, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Is there availability with miles on the Garuda section? They are a Delta partner and have good availability most of the time; perhaps you could just get Delta to swap that in because of the schedule change. Getting the flight you want and not paying more is ideal if it works...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BenA
Is there availability with miles on the Garuda section? They are a Delta partner and have good availability most of the time; perhaps you could just get Delta to swap that in because of the schedule change. Getting the flight you want and not paying more is ideal if it works...
That was my first idea, but Delta wasn't able to book the segment, because the flight is not operated by Garuda, but by a non-Skyteam airline (I don't remember which).
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:52 am

What date were you booked for?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you must book something on your own, at least make certain that you cancel the segment you do not intend to use.

Whatever you do, don't simply skip a segment for all of the reasons above, e.g., that the remainder of your ticket may well be cancelled and depending on availability at that time, you may or may not be able to get it reinstated.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Often1
If you must book something on your own, at least make certain that you cancel the segment you do not intend to use.

Whatever you do, don't simply skip a segment for all of the reasons above, e.g., that the remainder of your ticket may well be cancelled and depending on availability at that time, you may or may not be able to get it reinstated.
If you cancel/delete a segment, technically, the ticket must be reissued. So a lot depends upon whether OP is able to get Delta to make adjustments due to a schedule change and whether the current RTW Sky Miles rules (if they exist any longer) will allow for changes.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

I've just called Delta RTW and I was able to change to a flight leaving late afternoon the day before, arriving in Bangkok next morning: RGN - SGN - BKK, all in Business. Now I have the whole day in BKK, without any stress.

I thank you all for taking your time replying.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by danaraujo
I've just called Delta RTW and I was able to change to a flight leaving late afternoon the day before, arriving in Bangkok next morning: RGN - SGN - BKK, all in Business. Now I have the whole day in BKK, without any stress.

I thank you all for taking your time replying.
Well done and better than paying for a separate ticket and then stressing over further schedule changes and IROPs.

Congrats and enjoy your RTW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.