FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can I skip a segment with Skyteam RTW?
View Single Post
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:16 pm
danaraujo

Programs: Skymiles/Aeroplan
Can I skip a segment on a Skyteam RTW?

During December 2014 I was informed about Delta discontinuing RTW using miles. I booked a last minute itinerary in Business that later needed some stitches, both on my side and also because of some changes by partner airlines. I will be starting the itinerary in YYZ.

Originally, I was booked RGN - ICN - NBO, but Korean discontinued ICN - NBO. Delta RTW alternatively booked me RGN - KMG - BKK by China Eastern, connecting with Kenya Airways to NBO.

I'm upset for two reasons: The KMG - BKK segment is in Economy. Nobody likes to pay for C and fly Y. Also, the flights leave RGN late afternoon and arrive BKK three hours before my NBO flight. It means, anything goes wrong and I will be stuck in BKK. Have I said that the airline is China Eastern? Actually, I have only one hour cushion, as I'll need two hours for all the security and red tape. Also, Kenya is the only Skyteam airline that flies that route.

I would rather buy a ticket with Garuda RGN - BKK non-stop early in the morning for just $100.00, deposit my suitcase at BKK left-luggage and spend the day in Bangkok without worries and stress.

Can someone answer me the following questions? Am I legally allowed to skip segments in a Skyteam RTW trip? When I show up for check-in at the Kenya counter will they interrogate me about missing two previous flights? Can I be denied boarding? In case I'm allowed to skip, should I call Delta and inform them about my plans? I will appreciate any help by FTs familiar with the rules regarding this situation.

Last edited by danaraujo; Aug 3, 2015 at 4:48 pm Reason: title