Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Be sure to offer the better seat to your trader.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
It's a tough one. It's likely that someone would switch with you, but you have no idea of know who it is. Initially just ask either of the two aisle passengers if they would mind switching. Good chance they will decline but it might work out. If not, you could ask them if they would be willing to switch to another aisle seat if you could find someone willing. Then try to find any aisle passenger who wants a window. That part is a little more awkward as you have to go begging throughout the cabin.

Another way, which I have seen before, would be to just stand up in the aisle once the seat belt light is off and loudly talk to your partner over the person sitting in the aisle. Eventually they will get fed up and switch
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Try to board first. Go to your seats and ask your seatmates as they board if they are willing to switch.

Do not sit in their seats and expect them to switch.

For a two hour flight I would likely switch. Longer flights I would prefer the aisle.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Try and make it obvious you are traveling together - when I see people like this, I typically offer my seat to let them sit by each other...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
I've always been able to find someone willing to switch with me in this scenario (and I am always happy to switch when in the other position) - just ask politely.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
^ on the above.
It's not a meal flight, so there's no chance of someone's gaining or losing their meal choice by switching or not.
If you happen to be on award tix, some FA's will enforce the rule about not asking anyone to switch. I sometimes remind my spouse of this as we're stowing our bag in the OH.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:05 am

Grab the seats you want. Look mean, angry and tough. Dont say a word, give that person a cold hard stare until he/she walks away.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
one slight caveat

i concur w/ everyone. Certainly asking politley helps AND doing so as soon as they sit down and before they get settled in is key too. I've recently revised my view on this, somewhat, in that perhaps (small chance) but perhaps one of them was an Air Marshal and could not change their seat. just sayin as I did note you were flying into LGA....... it's worth asking politely tho.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I prefer aisles and will not trade for a window seat myself. If a seatmate ask me to switch seats with their spouse and their spouse is an Aisle I will usually do it providing it's not a bulkhead or there have been a couple times where the spouse was also in a window seat and they have been able to play musical chairs and get someone in an aisle to take the spouses window seat and I will take the aisle seat.

Just make sure the person that wants to trade their seat out has the better of the two seats between the two of you.

I doubt there is a meal service on this short of a flight, but if there is make sure to tell the FA to take the meal choice from the person you swapped with first. One time I played musical chairs and gave up my seat for the seat behind where I was assigned and the FA took the meal orders from the front and I ended up getting screwed out of the meal choice by the time the FA got to me and it made me not want to swap seats for a while after that incident.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Ask the passengers in the aisle seats next to the both of you if they would switch, if they say no, drop the idea of trying to switch seats and accept you'll be sitting apart for two hours. IMO, starting to then ask other people in the cabin really is not appropriate and it can cause a delay in others that are boarding.

Also, just keep checking the seat map (or set an Expertflyer alert if you have that service) for an aisle seat to open up, then grab one if it does. Asking to switch aisle for aisle will be a hell of a lot easier then asking to switch aisle for window.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by whytravelsomuch
Ask the passengers in the aisle seats next to the both of you if they would switch, if they say no, drop the idea of trying to switch seats and accept you'll be sitting apart for two hours. IMO, starting to then ask other people in the cabin really is not appropriate and it can cause a delay in others that are boarding.

Also, just keep checking the seat map (or set an Expertflyer alert if you have that service) for an aisle seat to open up, then grab one if it does. Asking to switch aisle for aisle will be a hell of a lot easier then asking to switch aisle for window.
+1 on the EF seat alert. The alert works great
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:16 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
It's nice that you love each other so much, but a short flight apart won't kill you.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Just ask the people sitting in those seats if they would be willing to accommodate you sitting together. When someone asks me, I almost always switch, unless:

1. They ask in a tone like they are demanding it
2. They get on board before me and sit down in my seat first and then ask me to switch
3. I have chosen a specific seat for a reason, and the seat they are offering me is one that I want to avoid (such as a bulkhead with no legroom or the last row that doesn't recline fully)
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
Grab the seats you want. Look mean, angry and tough. Dont say a word, give that person a cold hard stare until he/she walks away.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
i concur w/ everyone. Certainly asking politley helps AND doing so as soon as they sit down and before they get settled in is key too. I've recently revised my view on this, somewhat, in that perhaps (small chance) but perhaps one of them was an Air Marshal and could not change their seat. just sayin as I did note you were flying into LGA....... it's worth asking politely tho.
Even Bloodshot2k?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.