Wiki Posts
Search

Question about Ticket Name / ID

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Question about Ticket Name / ID

Hello everyone.

First time flyer here. Absent-mindedly used the name 'Dan King' to purchase a ticket from Delta instead of what is on my Government Issued ID, 'Daniel John King' (silly mistake, I know). I managed to change my Secure Flight Passenger name to match my Passport but my ticket, and assumedly my boarding pass, will still have 'Dan King' on it.

Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not this is likely to be an issue? I'm sceptical about trying to change it as, flying from London to Buffalo, there would likely be an increased international fee on top of the normal name change fee, assuming I can even get one at all.

Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:33 pm

If it is all Delta Planes (no codeshares) then (after this winter storm) call DL and they might be able to reissue the ticket in the correct name even exchange. (if you booked through Orbitz or something like that, you're probably on your own)
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
IME you'll be fine. My last name changed 5 yrs ago. My ticket has my married name and my passport has my pre-married name. No one has ever said a word. They just input the name off your passport when you check-in.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Unless you have a very specific need for middle name (like TSA PreCheck), you'll be fine. I flew for years without my middle name on my tickets. That being said, once I got Global Entry, I had to go back and add my middle name to my already-booked flights, and Delta was happy to do so and reticket my flights, so you should be able to should you want to.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
You should be fine. No reason to worry. I have flown without an id. The airlines were not concerned in the least. They just were concerned about my getting through TSA. They asked me a few questions and it was fine.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
You won't have any problems. I frequently book my tix with first and last, vs. first middle initial last, which is on my ID. Never had a problem.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:16 am

As long as you are departing from a country where most people know that Dan is teh same as Daniel, you will be OK. But if you're in Asia for instance where they don't know Mike and Michael are the same name, you might have difficulty. I've had to have two tickets re-issued at check-in (at no cost) because of using Mike on tix whereas my passport says Michael.

Always safest to get name on ticket = name on passport.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: DL DM
TSA has tightened up a lot in the last few months. A lot depends upon the airport you are flying out of these days. I know people named Michael and their ticket said Micheal and the TSA sent them back to have the ticket reissued. I would try and fix it in advance. As someone noted, if the ticket is all Delta metal and issued on DL ticket stock, they will not have a problem fixing. If there are code shares or partners involved, they will have a problem.
If you have been getting by with name not matching ID, I would start to fix that. Eventually, you will get someone who wants to follow the rules and it takes time to get the ticket fixed by airport personnel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.