Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Getting off flight early - Baggage question

Old Jan 26, 15, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

I have a flight from LAX->FRA through AMS on KLM. I am planning to leave the airport at AMS and not continuing on with the flight.

When I check in at LAX, can I ask them to just check my bags through to AMS, or will they automatically check them through to FRA?

Is there some other option?

Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 15, 11:36 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Your bag would be check through to FRA. No choice (as I am pretty sure you would not be clearing in AMS just transiting). If you want to skip the last leg you need to have carry on baggage only.

FWIW - if the AMS-FRA leg is not the very last leg of your flight and it is skipped the rest of ticket will be most likely canceled.
Old Jan 26, 15, 11:47 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Normally Delta will not short check your bags unless there is a long layover. You have to be able to clear immigration, collect your bags, clear customs, re-check your bags and clear security. Usually this means a minimum 3-4hr layover.

That said, you do know that if you do not complete your trip on the outbound, they will cancel your return.
Old Jan 27, 15, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In IROPs, you could also be given another routing to FRA that avoids AMS, for example through LHR or CDG. If you're forced to gate check the bag, it's likely to be tagged to FRA rather than being delivered to the aircraft door at AMS.
Old Jan 27, 15, 8:25 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
If there is enough time - I would tell them you need access to your bags in AMS to deliver items to a family member or something like that. And, you will then recheck them.

If connection is tight, I would imagine they would balk.

But,the bigger problem is if you get re routed and never get to AMS.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: