Search

MSP Layover Question - Mall of America

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold
MSP Layover Question - Mall of America

Quick Question

I have a 6 hour layover in MSP after arriving from NRT, so I would like to check out the Mall of America. Anybody have any tips for doing this?

I have been reading that there are lockers available for storing luggage, but they are only on the gate side after security

Basically, after we arrive to MSP and go through customs, can we go back through security, put our luggage in the lockers, leave the airport, go to mall of america, then go back through security after a few hours?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I can't picture the lockers but after exiting customs you have the option to either exit the airport or go through TSA security and be airside. (Before this you can recheck bags and visit the service counter to request a boarding pass--although there are kiosks there for this too--rebook flights in IROPs, SDC, etc.) If you opt to go through security to be airside, you're in an area where all departing passengers are mixed with domestic arrivals. You can follow exit signs to go back to land side and leave the airport as you wish.

Depending on how much carry on you have and whether there are valuables, you could go through TSA security and visit a SC (F/G is closer) to leave carryon bags there, but F/G doesn't have a cloakroom/luggage storage area, although the C SC still does IIRC (to the right of the reception desks or on your right as you walk back into the lounge from the entry).

To go to MOA, follow the signs to exit the secure airside area. If this doesn't take you down one level (by escalator or stairs), follow signs and go down to baggage claim (by escalator or elevator), then go down another level and follow signs toward the light rail station. You'll pass a DL counter for groups (almost always empty) and then take a small shuttle train about a block in the basement of the airport (also going toward rental car counters and rental cars). Then again walk and go down an additional level or two to the light rail station. Along the way you'll see automatic ticket machines, which take cash or credit cards; the fare is a dollar or two, depending on time of day. Frequency is about every 10-15 minutes, depending also on time of day and day of the week. You want to get onto the light rail train going to the MOA, in the opposite direction from downtown. The signs are clear but it's a long walk from security or the gates to the light rail station. The ride is only a few minutes and the station at MOA is down in the basement, but how to find it to return to the airport isn't as well marked as when you're trying to leave the airport, so allow some time to find your way.

In addition to all the stores, the MOA has an indoor themed amusement park (which recently changed brands), an aquarium, a Radisson Blu hotel, a bunch of movie theaters, lots of restaurants (not much fast food and nothing that I'd consider fine dining, but some interesting places with table service and at least wine/beer that are casual, including some family-type restaurants; most are open all day rather than having specific lunch and dinner hours). At one time there was a PMNW ticket office that kept long hours and had monitors for airport flight status, but that went away with paper tickets. I'm not aware of bars at MOA except as small parts of restaurants, but if there are some, they might be up near the movie theaters on the top level in the area called Broadway IIRC, although the Radisson Blu has an interesting-looking bar as well as a restaurant. MOA also features special events which can be free music and other performances, book signings, etc., with all being family friendly in principle. IIRC there's currently some special Barbie doll museum with a steep admission charge.

Highlights include Nordstrom's, Macy's, some big sports apparel/equipment stores, and many familiar brands like Armani Exchange. Unless you're energetic and have lots of time, you probably won't want to walk past every store at the MOA, so plot your path on the floor plan at an information kiosk before starting to wander around aimlessly. There's a MOA store that sells a coupon book and MOA souvenirs, but I don't think the coupon book is worth the price unless your purchases will fit some particular pattern to use the discounts well. You can also find several stores that have Minnesota souvenirs, but this stuff can be found at the airport too.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the detailed information!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
The only thing I can add to MSPeconomist's detailed information is that there are luggage lockers at the entrance to the F concourse, not far from the entrance to the SkyClub.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:16 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Your light rail ticket is good for a specified length of time not necessarily for one direction of travel. Not sure if it is 90 or 150 minutes so depending on how long you are gone you might only need one ticket ($1.75 off peak and $2.25 peak fare).
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:24 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
The only thing I can add to MSPeconomist's detailed information is that there are luggage lockers at the entrance to the F concourse, not far from the entrance to the SkyClub.
Additional locker bank on C under the stairs for the G connector, just past the food court.

The ones at the F entrance are going to be more convenient for the OP though.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Here's what the MSP airport says:

Lockers

Storage lockers are available in secure areas of Terminal 1-Lindbergh. The locker dimensions are approximately 23" tall by 15" wide by 35" deep and can accommodate carry-on-sized luggage. For security purposes, lockers are equipped with fingerprint technology to ensure only those who store the bags can retrieve them. Locker rental costs: $4 for first 4 hours; $8 per day. The lockers are intended for storage of 48 hours or less, and are emptied by Smarte Carte after 48 hours. Lockers are located in the following areas at the Lindbergh Terminal:

near Gate C2
near Gate C13
entrance to Concourse F

http://www.mspairport.com/passenger-services.aspx
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that all of the luggage storage lockers seem to be AIRSIDE. If OP is arriving from NRT, he/she must follow the connections signs after customs and checked bag drop or exit by going downstairs to the baggage claim level and then go upstairs and through TSA security to get to the luggage storage lockers at MSP.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:37 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Funny story about the lockers. My dad used them while he and I met in MSP for dinner. We get back to the lockers about 40 minutes before his flight and try to get them to open - they don't. So we try a few more times and still have no luck. It failed to read the finger print or something. There was an 800 number so we called. The person was in the airport but didn't want to come to the lockers so told us how to reboot them. Turns out there is a surge protector on top of the lockers; turning that off and back on is the only way to re-boot them. The best part was that it booted Windows 98...
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
I am probably missing something, but alternatively just check your bags in for the next flight?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:32 am

The MOA is about a 13 minute ride from Terminal 1. At MOA, it will drop you at the lower transportation level. Follow the crowds up one level to the entrance of the Mall, where you will find a customer service desk, as well as small storage lockers. Make sure you pick up a map at the desk.

If you want a quiet, peaceful place to eat, without the noise and commotion of the Mall, I suggest the Cafe at Nordstrom. The food is very good, there is Wi-Fi, and the environment is very relaxing. I believe it's on level 3 of the store.

Two good resources:

http://www.mallofamerica.com/
http://www.metrotransit.org/metro-blue-line

Though the actual ride back to MSP will not take long, allow enough time, as the jaunt from the the Terminal 1 station to your gate will take some time.

Hope you enjoy your excursion.

BTW, MN has no sales tax on clothing.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:57 am

The MOA also has lockers of varying sizes.

http://www.mallofamerica.com/guests/services

LOCKERS
Lockers are available for rent on Levels 1, 2 and 3 on the East and West side. There are also lockers available on Level 1, North and South, as well as the North Entrance to the Park underneath the Ferris Wheel. Lockers are all-day rentals only and come in different sizes. On Level 1, South and underneath the Ferris Wheel, jumbo lockers are available for luggage and larger items.

Regular $6
Large $8
Extra Large $11
Jumbo $13
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by mules
The MOA also has lockers of varying sizes.
Lugging ones luggage to MOA would suck, as would clearing TSA to store luggage behind security.

Doesn't TSA typically initial your BP? Does it raise any flags to clear security twice? Having never cleared international at MSP, I don't know if rechecking luggage for domestic is an option, but that's what I would do.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:47 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hazelrah
Lugging ones luggage to MOA would suck, as would clearing TSA to store luggage behind security.

Doesn't TSA typically initial your BP? Does it raise any flags to clear security twice? Having never cleared international at MSP, I don't know if rechecking luggage for domestic is an option, but that's what I would do.
IIRC they don't initial BPs at the TSA checkpoint when clearing customs. In any case, I have re-cleared TSA checkpoints at other airports with an already initialed BP and not had any issues.

Worst case scenario, the OP could visit one of the kiosks and re-print their BP in the ticketing lobby prior to clearing at the main TSA checkpoint.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by hazelrah

It's not uncommon for smokers to clear security more than once, especially if flights are delayed after the first passage through a TSA checkpoint

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.