Search

DL/VS Metal swaps on LHR-LAX/ATL

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
DL/VS Metal swaps on LHR-LAX/ATL

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...lantic-flights

As per Business Traveller, Delta will take over the second VS LHR-LAX flight. It will be operated by a 767 over winter. It is interesting to note that this flight was normally suspended over most of the winter months due to low loads - so by operating the 767 daily it is an increase in capacity for the JV.

VS will in turn take over the first LHR-ATL (VS103 Dep 0925) to be operated by an A330-300
Old May 21, 2014, 8:37 am

Very exciting. It'll be nice to see DL metal on LAX-Europe as well as a new international carrier in ATL. I wonder if the capacity that was originally allocated for ORD-LHR is now being used on this LAX flight.

Also, that turn in LAX seems a bit short for a widebody (50 minutes). Perhaps the plane will continue on to JFK instead of back to LHR?
Old May 21, 2014, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even if the aircraft continues to JFK, it still needs to be searched for security. I've always believed that this is why turnarounds require more time for international flights. Catering is mostly organized in advance so that it's just a matter of rolling on the carts and securing them after the plane is at the gate.
Old May 21, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Great news! I'll be flying back from London in early November and will have some shiny new GUCs burning a hole in my wallet.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Its too bad we can't upgrade on the VS metal flights with DL certs or miles.
Old May 21, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
HAPPY to see a DL option on this route!
Old May 21, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Excellent! Looking forward to seeing (and flying) on Virgin Atlantic from ATL.
Old May 21, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
Originally Posted by rylan
Its too bad we can't upgrade on the VS metal flights with DL certs or miles.
But now you will be able to upgrade on LAX-LHR using DL certs or miles, something that wasn't possible before. And you can still upgrade on the other two ATL-LHR flights.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
It doesn't look like the flights are bookable yet. Any idea when they'll be in the system?
Old May 21, 2014, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
ATL is bookable via the phone with VS now and online from tomorrow as per their website. Perhaps DL will be updated tonight too?
Old May 21, 2014, 12:59 pm

I believe the 767 that operates 477 or 417 currently RON's in LAX for one of the morning 767 departures back to JFK. That aircraft can operate the LHR flight and the inbound from LHR will RON and operate a morning flight back to JFK
Old May 21, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Is VS first nonstop LHR-ATL? Haven't they ever been in ATL before?

Other news, Delta will have 3 RT nonstop DFW-LAX, as well. It will operated E175.
Old May 21, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I see why this may be exciting from a passenger perspective (ability to use upgrade certs where you previously couldn't, etc), but can someone please explain the advantage of this from the perspective of both airlines? Seems to be essentially an even swap, so what's their motivation for doing this?
Old May 21, 2014, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by DCdeacon
I see why this may be exciting from a passenger perspective (ability to use upgrade certs where you previously couldn't, etc), but can someone please explain the advantage of this from the perspective of both airlines? Seems to be essentially an even swap, so what's their motivation for doing this?
I think what you are saying is part of it...the other part is airplane right sizing in the winter months (mainly at LAX), that will carry over to further right sizing next summer. Plus, maybe DL corporate clients in LAX asked for this also. All in all, I see this as positive for both LAX and ATL.
Old May 21, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Why on Earth would paying J passengers like this news? Horrible news, Virgin product is much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.