FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DL/VS Metal swaps on LHR-LAX/ATL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1578881-dl-vs-metal-swaps-lhr-lax-atl.html)

ANstar May 21, 2014 8:28 am

DL/VS Metal swaps on LHR-LAX/ATL

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...lantic-flights

As per Business Traveller, Delta will take over the second VS LHR-LAX flight. It will be operated by a 767 over winter. It is interesting to note that this flight was normally suspended over most of the winter months due to low loads - so by operating the 767 daily it is an increase in capacity for the JV.

VS will in turn take over the first LHR-ATL (VS103 Dep 0925) to be operated by an A330-300

cdubose98 May 21, 2014 8:37 am

Very exciting. It'll be nice to see DL metal on LAX-Europe as well as a new international carrier in ATL. I wonder if the capacity that was originally allocated for ORD-LHR is now being used on this LAX flight.

Also, that turn in LAX seems a bit short for a widebody (50 minutes). Perhaps the plane will continue on to JFK instead of back to LHR?

MSPeconomist May 21, 2014 8:48 am

Even if the aircraft continues to JFK, it still needs to be searched for security. I've always believed that this is why turnarounds require more time for international flights. Catering is mostly organized in advance so that it's just a matter of rolling on the carts and securing them after the plane is at the gate.

TheMadBrewer May 21, 2014 8:53 am

Great news! I'll be flying back from London in early November and will have some shiny new GUCs burning a hole in my wallet.

rylan May 21, 2014 9:44 am

Its too bad we can't upgrade on the VS metal flights with DL certs or miles.

rwoman May 21, 2014 10:16 am

HAPPY to see a DL option on this route! :D

MikeyZBT May 21, 2014 10:40 am

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing (and flying) on Virgin Atlantic from ATL.

KKinLA May 21, 2014 10:43 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 22900618)
Its too bad we can't upgrade on the VS metal flights with DL certs or miles.

But now you will be able to upgrade on LAX-LHR using DL certs or miles, something that wasn't possible before. And you can still upgrade on the other two ATL-LHR flights.

MikeyZBT May 21, 2014 12:14 pm

It doesn't look like the flights are bookable yet. Any idea when they'll be in the system?

ANstar May 21, 2014 12:15 pm

ATL is bookable via the phone with VS now and online from tomorrow as per their website. Perhaps DL will be updated tonight too?

nystateofmind May 21, 2014 12:59 pm

I believe the 767 that operates 477 or 417 currently RON's in LAX for one of the morning 767 departures back to JFK. That aircraft can operate the LHR flight and the inbound from LHR will RON and operate a morning flight back to JFK

N830MH May 21, 2014 2:27 pm

Is VS first nonstop LHR-ATL? Haven't they ever been in ATL before?

Other news, Delta will have 3 RT nonstop DFW-LAX, as well. It will operated E175.

DCdeacon May 21, 2014 2:40 pm

I see why this may be exciting from a passenger perspective (ability to use upgrade certs where you previously couldn't, etc), but can someone please explain the advantage of this from the perspective of both airlines? Seems to be essentially an even swap, so what's their motivation for doing this?

SRQRoadWarrior May 21, 2014 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by DCdeacon (Post 22902302)
I see why this may be exciting from a passenger perspective (ability to use upgrade certs where you previously couldn't, etc), but can someone please explain the advantage of this from the perspective of both airlines? Seems to be essentially an even swap, so what's their motivation for doing this?

I think what you are saying is part of it...the other part is airplane right sizing in the winter months (mainly at LAX), that will carry over to further right sizing next summer. Plus, maybe DL corporate clients in LAX asked for this also. All in all, I see this as positive for both LAX and ATL.

DLATL777 May 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Why on Earth would paying J passengers like this news? Horrible news, Virgin product is much better.