Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Supreme Court Tosses Lawsuit by Disgruntled Frequent Flier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Supreme Court Tosses Lawsuit by Disgruntled Frequent Flier

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by javabytes
An exhibit attached to the complaint indicates he contacted NW 24 times in a 6 month period, and that they awarded him $1,925 in TCVs, 78,500 miles, a voucher extension, and $491 in cash reimbursements.
you can get that many TCVs in a couple days now, heck 2 friends of mine got half that on one trip from multiple bumps
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:33 am

If he hated WorldPerks, I can't wait to hear what he thinks about SkyMiles!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveNC
If he was really that unhappy, he should be glad NW fired him. Why did he even continue to fly with NW?

If he was really after comps, then he deserved to be fired.

Either way, this seems like a bogus lawsuit.
What about the lawsuit makes it "bogus," in your opinion?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by PTravel
Pending reading of the actual complaint, I am curious to imagine what the proposed "class" is. People who have been terminated from the program for excessive complaints? How large is the potential class? Where is the typicality (unless they were to admit that it is "people who complain, even when there isn't a significant problem, for the purpose of obtaining compensation.")

I would *love* to represent NW on this. I am sure (before I even read the pleadings) that they have statistics on average number of complaints, etc. This customer likely stands out on any number of beautiful statistical charts.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbrower
Pending reading of the actual complaint, I am curious to imagine what the proposed "class" is. People who have been terminated from the program for excessive complaints? How large is the potential class? Where is the typicality (unless they were to admit that it is "people who complain, even when there isn't a significant problem, for the purpose of obtaining compensation.")
I haven't read the complaint, either, but I suspect that it is, "People who have been terminated from the program though they have not violated the express terms and conditions." If, in fact, you can be terminated for any reason that the airline decides is valid, even if it is not part of the terms and conditions, doesn't the contract formed then become illusory and promissory estoppel apply?

I would *love* to represent NW on this. I am sure (before I even read the pleadings) that they have statistics on average number of complaints, etc. This customer likely stands out on any number of beautiful statistical charts.
I'm sure he does. Is there something in the T&Cs that says, "If, in our sole discretion, you complain to much, you can be removed from the program and all of your accrued miles will be forfeited"? If not, then what, exactly, is the consideration for the passenger?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:19 pm

Very High Stakes

DL will work very hard to get this overturned. Not because of the merits of the specific case, but because they don't want people to be able to sue them at all.

So this guy is on kind of shaky ground, but imagine if DL could be sued over over something like the misleading F fares that are really Y-UP? That could turn into a very large class action for all the folks that paid more only to get the honor if sitting in Y.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
I haven't read the complaint, either, but I suspect that it is, "People who have been terminated from the program though they have not violated the express terms and conditions." If, in fact, you can be terminated for any reason that the airline decides is valid, even if it is not part of the terms and conditions, doesn't the contract formed then become illusory and promissory estoppel apply?
Doubtful. Presumably the old NW language included something to the effect that the airline reserves the right to remove anyone from their FF program. Maybe some conditions were listed (like fraud) but I would assume they didn't list all the specific reasons in their T&C.

Wouldn't be surprised if DL argues there is no contract at all. Membership in a FF program requires no consideration. Rather, the airlines merely offer pax an opportunity to join with certain limitations like possibly age, nationality, etc.

Don't see how estoppel really comes into play here. Perhaps IF there is a finding this is a contract, and IF the rabbi can successfully argue that he reasonably relied on it to his detriment, maybe.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Doubtful. Presumably the old NW language included something to the effect that the airline reserves the right to remove anyone from their FF program. Maybe some conditions were listed (like fraud) but I would assume they didn't list all the specific reasons in their T&C.
A contract that provides that a promissor doesn't need to perform based solely on the exercise of their discretion, which need not be reasonable, is, by definition void because it lacks consideration for the promise (the term is, "illusory consideration"). Promissory estoppel is a doctrine that applies to promises made without consideration and requires, essentially, reasonable reliance on the promise coupled with a change in position to the detriment of the promissee.

In plain English: A contract that says, "we can terminate you from the program whenever we want for any reason or no reason," is not enforceable against the promissee (the passenger) but is enforceable against the promissor (the airline) under a promissory estoppel theory.

Wouldn't be surprised if DL argues there is no contract at all. Membership in a FF program requires no consideration. Rather, the airlines merely offer pax an opportunity to join with certain limitations like possibly age, nationality, etc.
The consideration on the part of the airline is the benefits from the program, i.e. earning free travel, etc. The consideration on the part of the passenger is flying the airline. If DL argues there is no contract at all, then the passenger could and should move for summary judgment on either equitable estoppel or promissory estoppel grounds (though fraud is also a possibility).

Don't see how estoppel really comes into play here. Perhaps IF there is a finding this is a contract, and IF the rabbi can successfully argue that he reasonably relied on it to his detriment, maybe.
Of course he did. He flew Delta. In this case the promise was, "Fly Delta and we'll give you credit for miles that you can redeem for free travel and other benefits." He flew Delta. They kicked him out of the program and took away his miles. If the contract contains illusory consideration because of a, "we can kick you out whenever we want," provision, then promissory estoppel kicks in. If it's fraud, the contract is void ab initio, and, given that it would clearly be an intentional fraud, punitive damages are available.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant

Last edited by jetta2.0t; Mar 21, 2013 at 5:44 pm
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
He continued to fly NW repeatedly despite an enormous number of complaints. It is obvious that NW was unable to meet his needs, so why not switch airlines? If he refused to switch airlines, NW should also be able to say, "Hey, we can't meet your needs, so we are going to terminate our WorldPerks relationship with you."

The whole things strikes me as an individual trying whatever way he can to get extra money/benefits from NW/DL.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:57 pm
Suspended

The whole things strikes me as an individual trying whatever way he can to get extra money/benefits from NW/DL.
Well, that aligns quite nicely with the philosophy of most trial lawyers, hence the class action lawsuit.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jetta2.0t
No doubt the guy is likely part of the NYC-FLL/PBI trade.
What trade is that?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I had not much nice to say about NW/DL during the same time period. They did not, however, revoke my account.

As a good FT'er, I worked diligently at reducing my NW/DL mileage by 2.5 million miles, and to this day try to find low level awards that don't turn a 8 hour flights into 28 hours, and doesn't cost RTW mileage for a Y USA-Asia ticket.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Does it strike you that he really was trying whatever way he can t get extra money/benefits from NW/DL? Has anyone asserted that he did anything unlawful?

I am just waiting to see how much DL is going to pay to try to undermine the court decision that is allowing the class action lawsuit to go ahead.

At least perhaps there will be some useful information coming out of such a lawsuit. And perhaps a few more people will get paid by DL, thus stimulating the economy.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Of course he did. He flew Delta. In this case the promise was, "Fly Delta and we'll give you credit for miles that you can redeem for free travel and other benefits." He flew Delta. .
Actually, the complaint says he flew Northwest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.