Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Supreme Court Tosses Lawsuit by Disgruntled Frequent Flier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Supreme Court Tosses Lawsuit by Disgruntled Frequent Flier

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by sxf24
If this is not a valid case to fire a customer, I don't know what is.
That is an outlandish amount of comp... but they should have said no to demands for compensation instead of of giving him all that and then deciding to revoke his status because he complained too much. There's not one dollar or mile in that amount that NW didn't willingly give him.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by javabytes

An exhibit attached to the complaint indicates he contacted NW 24 times in a 6 month period, and that they awarded him $1,925 in TCVs, 78,500 miles, a voucher extension, and $491 in cash reimbursements.
If this is not a valid case to fire a customer, I don't know what is.
^^

That good old NWA CRM system at work giving WorldPerks clear information that this customer was a drain on not only resources, but the bottom line.

I hope the complaining Rabbi is happy with Southwest?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:51 pm
Suspended

That is an outlandish amount of comp... but they should have said no to demands for compensation instead of of giving him all that and then deciding to revoke his status because he complained too much. There's not one dollar or mile in that amount that NW didn't willingly give him.
I would imagine they said no at some point and he complained about that too.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I would imagine they said no at some point and he complained about that too.
Probably... but they should have held firm there, rather than letting it get out of hand, decide they had been too generous, and then revoke his status. A lot of us here send in complaints from time to time. (Granted, not once a week for 6 months) But I would be pretty pissed if my status got revoked all of a sudden because DL decided they were too generous with comp. I'd rather they just decide to cut off the compensation at some point.

This is actually a perfect analogy for a passenger downing drinks. You might decide to cut them off at some point. But if they argue and you give them more drinks, you can't be surprised later when they're drunk and obnoxious.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
This is actually a perfect analogy for a passenger downing drinks. You might decide to cut them off at some point. But if they argue and you give them more drinks, you can't be surprised later when they're drunk and obnoxious.
You can't be surprised, but you can definitely kick them off the plane or deny them boarding. The analogy works, indeed.

These frequent flyer programs allow a lot of latitude for cancelling an account. Just try and sell some certs or coupons on eBay. If Delta's infamous RPU finds you, you'd be facing a termination or suspension of your account as well.

1) I'm glad we're in agreement about the misleading and erroneous thread title meant to kick up some dust. It should be changed.

2) Any airline would do this if it got past a certain threshold, including past and present Delta. There was nothing inherently bad about PMNW's customer service that explains this (though thanks for that red herring, javabytes).

3) One could easily argue that all of this took place beginning after the merger was announced, and any chance to rectify the situation (i.e. after the lawsuit was filed) would have occurred well after Delta had full control (even if they had partial control after announcing the merger). It's completely pointless to try and split hairs about PMNW vs. PMDL and how the situation might have been handled differently. At the point in time this first occurred, NW and DL had already been forever changed, for better or worse.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by exwannabe
1+

And to embellish,, the post merge DL is what it is. People need to get over all the NWA/DL crap.

Both those airlines are ancient history.
We (the traveling public) were promised a bill of goods that were supposed to be delivered with "consolidation".

Increased "synergies", no hub closures, better service to both large and small communities.

So far all we have is a bill of goods.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/7253...all-transcript
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Good for NW... Someone like that can not be pleased... let him be someone else's problem...
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I don't see the problem? This is well under what most FT'er score on a weekly basis.
That was my exact thought!

I'm wondering why the airline didn't just stop answering his emails.

And what does the fact that he's a rabbi have to do with this? About as much as Chisholm.

Mike
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikeef
I'm wondering why the airline didn't just stop answering his emails.
When you try to cut these customers off (from contact or compensation), they usually start writing letters to executives and threaten to sue.

There are customers who take anything less than what they demand as a personal insult and dedicate their life to hounding a company.

Sometimes the only option is to fire the customer.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
It was the 9th Circuit after all that reinstated the suit. Looking for a rational reason from that august body for any of its actions is an exercise in futility.

Cheers
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
NW/Delta FF Can Sue

Court says that Rabbi who was booted from Northwest's WorldPerks for complaining too much, can sue Delta:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/08/05/38771.htm
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Being discussed here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...xperience.html
Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
If he was really that unhappy, he should be glad NW fired him. Why did he even continue to fly with NW?

If he was really after comps, then he deserved to be fired.

Either way, this seems like a bogus lawsuit.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:00 am

I think we finally stopped confusing the word "Chisolm" with the original post (the two have nothing to do with each other), so please don't use the word "fired", which further confounds this thread. The airline merely terminated his frequent flyer account.

It's not the same thing as being banned for life from flying, although I suppose the motivation here is that this would dissuade him from flying NW (a.k.a. the new Delta) and going to other airlines and raising heck over there.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:07 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Here's an observation:

After a couple of times complaining and getting compesnation the rabbi saw opportunity and try to get compensation at any opportunity he could regardless of whether justified until NW had enough.

Now he is trying to stick it to them one more time and get the final payoff. The sad this is there is no real way to prove that intent and he will probably get something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.