Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Supreme Court Tosses Lawsuit by Disgruntled Frequent Flier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Supreme Court Tosses Lawsuit by Disgruntled Frequent Flier

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Does it strike you that he really was trying whatever way he can t get extra money/benefits from NW/DL? Has anyone asserted that he did anything unlawful?

I am just waiting to see how much DL is going to pay to try to undermine the court decision that is allowing the class action lawsuit to go ahead.

At least perhaps there will be some useful information coming out of such a lawsuit. And perhaps a few more people will get paid by DL, thus stimulating the economy.
I get the idea that despite your stated aversion (in every post) to fleecing, that you think it is OK if it is the customer doing it.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dickinson
I get the idea that despite your stated aversion (in every post) to fleecing, that you think it is OK if it is the customer doing it.
If mind-reading were a class and I a teacher of such TSA-style junk science, your post wouldn't get any sort of A, B or C from me -- an F would be the appropriate grade.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveNC
He continued to fly NW repeatedly despite an enormous number of complaints. It is obvious that NW was unable to meet his needs, so why not switch airlines? If he refused to switch airlines, NW should also be able to say, "Hey, we can't meet your needs, so we are going to terminate our WorldPerks relationship with you."
Even if this is true, what about it makes the lawsuit bogus?

The whole things strikes me as an individual trying whatever way he can to get extra money/benefits from NW/DL.
Isn't that what we do here on FT? Again, why does that make the lawsuit "bogus"?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Does it strike you that he really was trying whatever way he can t get extra money/benefits from NW/DL? Has anyone asserted that he did anything unlawful?

I am just waiting to see how much DL is going to pay to try to undermine the court decision that is allowing the class action lawsuit to go ahead.

At least perhaps there will be some useful information coming out of such a lawsuit. And perhaps a few more people will get paid by DL, thus stimulating the economy.
When did anybody say anything about it being illegal.

Unethical, maybe, if the intent was gain by misrepresentation (ie. complain to get something when there really was no issue to start with).

Either this guy had incredibly bad luck or took advantage of the program. I have flown NW since 93 and never in that entire time complained enough for the amount of compenstation he received.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by PTravel
Even if this is true, what about it makes the lawsuit bogus?

Isn't that what we do here on FT? Again, why does that make the lawsuit "bogus"?
No, not by whatever means, At least not for me. Yes to find out whatever normal channels to get the most out of legitmate programs and promotions, not by scamming.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
No, not by whatever means, At least not for me. Yes to find out whatever normal channels to get the most out of legitmate programs and promotions, not by scamming.
How do you know he was scamming? Evidently, NW (or DL) thought his complaints legitimate enough to provide him with compensation.

I'm still waiting to here what about the lawsuit renders it "bogus."
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PTravel
How do you know he was scamming? Evidently, NW (or DL) thought his complaints legitimate enough to provide him with compensation.

I'm still waiting to here what about the lawsuit renders it "bogus."
It clearly took NW some time to catch on to the customer's MO. Whether scamming or a PITA, his participation in WorldPerks clearly became a detriment to NW.

Perhaps bogus is the wrong word to describe the lawsuit. Frivolous or without merits may be a more accurate.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 3:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sxf24
Perhaps bogus is the wrong word to describe the lawsuit. Frivolous or without merits may be a more accurate.
.... just like it could be said that calling a chair an elephant may be a more accurate description than calling a chair a knife.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 10, 2011 at 5:07 am
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:55 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sxf24
Fact is, no one here knows the merits of this case. The appeals court's ruling was not on the merits, only that the case couldn't be dismissed based on ADA, which is what the trial judge did.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. In the end, may get tossed again, maybe not, but if it is, there will have to be different reasoning.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Good for NW... Someone like that can not be pleased... let him be someone else's problem...
^ Agreed. From the little I have read, my bet is that this guy was not really upset with the actual service of the airline, but was just gaming the system as much as possible in an arguably unethical way trying to get as many miles and $$ comp as possible. He got very greedy and was caught.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I know there were a number of folks years ago who were booking heavily bumped WN routes, and then going for bumps on them. I recall one guy saying he had gotten dozens of VDB vouchers in the span of a couple of weeks.

I don't recall hearing of any other NW folk claiming they got their account suspended. This seems to have happened after the planned merger, so I'd guess DL had their hand in it, somehow.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
I have a problem with the characterization by some here because they imply dishonesty on the part of the plaintiff. Gaming the system? Sure. But unless he does it through dishonest or illegal means or otherwise commits fraud (complaining about something that didn't happen, trying to get comp for same complaint twice) then it seems unfair for the airline to revoke benefits already granted, i.e. his Platinum status or banked mileage. He earned these through his previous patronage of NW and, arguably, only continued traveling with the airline and providing them revenue because of them.

Now, if NW (now DL) decided that he was a significant enough drain on the system then it would not have been unreasonable for them to refuse to sell him more revenue tickets. Miles are hard enough to use, the Platinum status and discounted club membership had upcoming expiration dates (and are useless when not flying the airline for the most part) and they could have been rid of him that way.

Firing a customer by refusing to do business with them in the future and taking back that which you've already granted them (unless granted based upon fraudulent pretext) are very, very different.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 7:54 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I ... I don't recall hearing of any other NW folk claiming they got their account suspended. This seems to have happened after the planned merger, so I'd guess DL had their hand in it, somehow.
So DL is looking to merge with NWA (but it has not yet happened) and they took the effort to can this dude.

Yeah, right.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:16 am

#1: Spiritual leaders have as much right to complain as everybody else, but surely there's something more productive this gentleman could have been doing for his flock than calling NW and complaining every week. And filing this lawsuit.

#2: I'm a contributing member of FlyerTalk, and by definition I have more time and inclination than most people to learn and use the ins and outs of FF programs, travel secrets, deals, etc. I further believe that people SHOULD complain and receive compensation when they are treated badly.

However...

There is definitely such thing as too much focus on these things. Life is rich with opportunities. Obsessing about minor mistreatments and working to squeeze every possible cent out of your miles seems to me to be severely missing the point of travel, whether it's for business or pleasure. Some people seem to take perverse enjoyment out of punishing others for their mistakes, be it their families or some faceless corporation.

FF and travel strategizing, like couponing or antiquing or tennis or video games is a fun and sometimes profitable diversion, but it seems like it expands to the point where it fills up a huge part of some people's lives, and that's not healthy at all.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buffcoat
#1: Spiritual leaders have as much right to complain as everybody else, but surely there's something more productive this gentleman could have been doing for his flock than calling NW and complaining every week. And filing this lawsuit.
Rabbi's don't necessarily have "flocks." Regardless, what business is it of yours how he spends his time as a rabbi?

#2: I'm a contributing member of FlyerTalk, and by definition I have more time and inclination than most people to learn and use the ins and outs of FF programs, travel secrets, deals, etc. I further believe that people SHOULD complain and receive compensation when they are treated badly.
Just not if they're rabbis?

However...

There is definitely such thing as too much focus on these things. Life is rich with opportunities. Obsessing about minor mistreatments and working to squeeze every possible cent out of your miles seems to me to be severely missing the point of travel, whether it's for business or pleasure. Some people seem to take perverse enjoyment out of punishing others for their mistakes, be it their families or some faceless corporation.
How do you know that's what this guy did?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.