Search

One Flew South - the definitive thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:56 pm

deleted.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
So do Vancouver and HK and both places IMO are much better connected to the world than ATL (and airfares out of both places IME have been cheaper on OW.)
I guess, but I feel like ATL is never as hyped up as either of them. Atlanta has a lot to offer, but just isn't so hyped up. Despite both HK and Vancouver living up to their gastronomic hype IME, I just feel like ATL is at that cool point where there's no defined direction in the food scene and it's rapidly growing and evolving. That's always a really awesome time for some great food. Lots of new places keep popping up and being just extraordinary (eg. King+Duke and Gunshow come to mind as of late). I like ATL's connectivity, and think it's a pretty well-connected, modern city. And just look at the huge names in ATL recently, Acheson, Blais, Gillespie, and Hopkins just to name a few.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
I wonder if the gratuity is automatically added to protect the servers from losing out on a tips since it's in the international concourse and with passengers transiting from countries where tipping may not be the custom and where the passengers eating there may not understand the American tipping system. Not saying whether such a view point from the restaurant would be right or wrong (and I don't know if any other sit-down restaurants in the international concourses do this either) just attempting to offer a possible explanation.
There's plenty of US citizens that don't understanding tipping. As a bartender in college, to avoid any trouble, we used to call them Canadians.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by BOSavi8tr
NOWHERE on the OFS website or menu does it say to tip less than 18%.
What an observation.

If a taxi company added 18% "suggested" tip to a fare, would you pay it regardless?

You have failed to address any of the comments made by MS02113.

The rest of the folks in the thread have managed to ignore your inane ramblings. Kudos to them. Anyways:

Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by sky303
Atlanta has a surprisingly great food scene nowadays. Lots of folks are shocked when I take them around the city to such great places. My jury is still out on whether or not if I lived in a different city if I would ever intentionally make a stay in ATL. I think over the years either I have grown more and more fond of ATL, it has gotten much better overall, or a combination. I'm still pissed the Bravos are heading out to the burbs though. Always cool to take someone to the Ted during their stay, and with no need to drive from my house, it was pretty cheap. Good business decision I guess, but still disappointing to the ITPers--the true Atlantans.

Jesus, I really went on too long here...sorry bout dat.
ATL has good food, and I'll take back my rec for Ecco midtown (but do go on F)...go to Empire State South instead. Big Hugh fan here since his start in Athens.

OT: And since you mention the Braves, I think I'm confident to say I have lived in ATL longer than you have been alive. This thread has gone way OT from OFS but I will just add...I'm on the highlight reel for the 1995 World Series, David Justice's HR landed right in front of my seats. I'm also in the picture in today's NYTimes article, 1997 opening day at Turner Field.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Love OFS. Often eat there before my TATLs and forgo the DL meal in favor of sleep. Am not at all bothered by the 18% - as some said, tipping in the US is a custom and the wages of servers reflect that. In an airport there will be many who don't tip or who think 10% is a generous offering rather than an inadequate supplement to a very low hourly rate of pay.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by PRWeezer
ATL has good food, and I'll take back my rec for Ecco midtown (but do go on F)...go to Empire State South instead. Big Hugh fan here since his start in Athens.

OT: And since you mention the Braves, I think I'm confident to say I have lived in ATL longer than you have been alive. This thread has gone way OT from OFS but I will just add...I'm on the highlight reel for the 1995 World Series, David Justice's HR landed right in front of my seats. I'm also in the picture in today's NYTimes article, 1997 opening day at Turner Field.
I wouldn't doubt your claim. ~20 years isn't hard to beat! Wish I had been old enough to experience the the mid-90s seasons. Awesome time to be a Braves fan I can imagine. Not looking forward to the drive out to the sticks (okay, maybe not the sticks, but you know how it goes for ITP vs OTP ). For those who may be curious about ITP/OTP, I found this explanation on Bourdain's "The Layover" to be about the best: link, though I still think that people on that show were snobby as hell regarding not taking MARTA and not being able to get you places, which is typical of a lot of folks.

Last edited by sky303; Nov 17, 2013 at 8:08 pm
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flying_q
What an observation.

If a taxi company added 18% "suggested" tip to a fare, would you pay it regardless?

You have failed to address any of the comments made by MS02113.

The rest of the folks in the thread have managed to ignore your inane ramblings. Kudos to them. Anyways:

Yes, I would. In fact as I stated in an earlier post I'd throw a couple bucks extra to tip 20%. Are you questioning this because you wouldn't pay it?

I addressed all of the comments by MS02113. Being called delusional by someone who says you can feel free to leave less than the tip included is comical. They need to come to reality as this is common practice within the restaurant world and the restaurant clearly states it before you order.

Again - if you don't like it, go to the food court. Which is where MS02113 is used to I'm sure. All the great places in Boston and all this poster keeps talking about is the Popeyes in Kenmore Square. Seems appropriate.

Last edited by BOSavi8tr; Nov 18, 2013 at 3:51 am
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
I stand corrected. Love the word suggested. I guess I don't have to worry about it though as I will never be in there for a multitude of reasons. Adding 18% for something that is based on service does not work for me either. I don't care who you are or where you have worked. You are NOT entitled to a gratuity. You earn it with good service......see sig below.
As you have been many times in other posts on this board.

Is anyone else noticing a trend with some of these posters? OFS is not the only restaurant in the world that auto-grats. Try going to any restaurant with 6 or more people and 99% of the time you will get an auto-grat. So what's your suggestion here? Take your group to McDonalds? Cross out the auto-grat and make a scene to a manager?

Last edited by BOSavi8tr; Nov 18, 2013 at 3:47 am
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:25 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flymonthly
+1
While I do agree, I also have to say that it's all relative to airport food. Is it the best resto in ATL? No. There are probably 50 or more ahead of OFS on my personal list. However, in terms of airport eateries, it sure beats the hell out of the Sweetwater Tavern or other Sysco food operations. If I want a decent beer with my decent food, OFS it is. Ecco is slowly inching up, but I compare it to the city outpost and it's not measuring up.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by taylorc418
While I do agree, I also have to say that it's all relative to airport food. Is it the best resto in ATL? No. There are probably 50 or more ahead of OFS on my personal list. However, in terms of airport eateries, it sure beats the hell out of the Sweetwater Tavern or other Sysco food operations. If I want a decent beer with my decent food, OFS it is. Ecco is slowly inching up, but I compare it to the city outpost and it's not measuring up.
Agree. I just can't justify the expense to myself for the quality of the food if I'm alone. When I'm with someone, then the conversation tends to help me justify it in a way, because then I'm also paying for atmosphere, which there is quite nice. That and it just feels over-hyped. I remember being pumped to go and then being a bit disappointed my first time. I'm also pretty tight with my wallet when I'm alone and a lot looser when I have people with me, so that also plays a part.

While on the subject, who the hell okay'd the piano in the E food court? I liked going there when I wanted to eat real food and send some emails/do some work (E food court has free WiFi for those who don't know), but now with lots of people talking AND that damn loud piano, it's getting difficult.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sky303
While on the subject, who the hell okay'd the piano in the E food court? I liked going there when I wanted to eat real food and send some emails/do some work (E food court has free WiFi for those who don't know), but now with lots of people talking AND that damn loud piano, it's getting difficult.
I think the piano has been there for quite a few years hasn't it? Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I may just be imagining things.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I think the piano has been there for quite a few years hasn't it? Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I may just be imagining things.
Maybe it just wasn't being played. I need things to be loud and flashy and bright for me to notice them!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 6:26 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
OFS is good, and count another vote here for Ecco. When I have time I visit The Club in F and then hit Ecco for food.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 6:35 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
I apologize for bringing up the subject of auto-gratuities. Didn't mean for it to create such angst. I was actually just curious; and at the same time, expressing a "pet peeve" of mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.