Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Spyro
Yes, I completely agree. I've seen a few times where young people are asking for all sorts of things like special treatment for strollers, baggage, or seating with the rest of their party after the standby seating mixup.
I also have seen the DYKWIA attitude in young kids as well. Had one on my DTW/LAX flight last week who I also encountered in the SC. There was a family flying and the girl looked to be about 10 and her brother 8. The brother was quiet but the girl was already a DYKWIA.

I was at one of the end clubs in A. The brat was complaining that she wanted hot chocolate and I know their espresso machine was down and I am not sure if that is where hot chocolate comes from in the SC or if they have packets and they were out of it but the attendant told her they didn't have any available right then. She told the attendant she wanted to chocolate milk and was also told they couldn't honor that request and then the brat asked for fruit punch. The attendant was nice and said they had several kinds of juices and also a soda machine if her parents didn't mind her having soda. She said she wasn't allowed to drink soda (even though she was drinking a coke in flight when I got up to the use the restroom). She said minute maid made a great canned fruit punch her mom buys her and they should carry it. (I felt like telling her if they are going to carry Gordon's vodka they sure aren't going to carry fruit punch alothough it could be a sweet enough mixer to kill the awful taste of Gordon's). I really wanted to tell the kid I wanted Bailey's or a drinkable vodka but I wasn't getting it

Family ended up being on my flight and they preboarded passengers with disabilities and then families with young children before F and she was complaining to her mom that they got to board before them. Her mom didn't help her attitude out by telling her that they should board first class with preboards so she probably learned the DYWIA attitude from her parents.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
^^^

Sometimes I think that Richard Anderson acts like The Brain.
LOL ^^

I actually have Pinky & the Brain toys that are sitting on my desk staring at me right now.

Originally Posted by Fizzer
An entitlement mentality and DYKWIA behaviour are not limited to older business types you know. I have seen just as much "Dickwad" behaviour ( sorry I can't resist it but that's what I see everytime I see the acronym) in spoiled bratty types. Stereotyping is stereotyping is stereotyping.
+1 - there's a sub-category of "nouveau elite" DYKWIAs out there that are almost more annoying. After a particularly stressful day, I sometimes want to shake my cane at them and holler for them get off my blue carpet.

Also, I will now never see the DYKWIA acronym the same way again.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Yes, I completely agree. I've seen a few times where young people are asking for all sorts of things like special treatment for strollers, baggage, or seating with the rest of their party after the standby seating mixup.
Especially unticketed infants. They didn't even pay for a ticket, yet they're so entitled that they cry if they don't get what they want. They insist on sitting/laying/flailing in their mother's/father's laps, and they never use their seatbelts!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Howste
Especially unticketed infants. They didn't even pay for a ticket, yet they're so entitled that they cry if they don't get what they want. They insist on sitting/laying/flailing in their mother's/father's laps, and they never use their seatbelts!
LOL.
My child rode in 1st with me for a few trips when she first started flying infant in arms with me. Recently she had to "slum it" since my wife was with us and she doesn't have status. My daughter did the slowest walk through first class just waiting for me to be like "right here". It was the funniest thing ever. It really felt like she knew we were headed back to the cheap seats. My wife and I were cracking up.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by stils
It really felt like she knew we were headed back to the cheap seats. My wife and I were cracking up.
Identical situation when my wife took our 10 year old daughter in coach once without me, after yearly trips to Hawaii in 1st since she was 5. Walked through 1st. No joy. Shuffled slooooowly through biz (Yes, long ago and not on Delta). Getting antsy. Got back to steerage, where she finally turned and asked Mrs. Roadie: "We're not flying THIRD class, are we Mommy?"

If eye-daggers could have killed.......
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by stils
LOL.
My child rode in 1st with me for a few trips when she first started flying infant in arms with me. Recently she had to "slum it" since my wife was with us and she doesn't have status. My daughter did the slowest walk through first class just waiting for me to be like "right here". It was the funniest thing ever. It really felt like she knew we were headed back to the cheap seats. My wife and I were cracking up.
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Identical situation when my wife took our 10 year old daughter in coach once without me, after yearly trips to Hawaii in 1st since she was 5. Walked through 1st. No joy. Shuffled slooooowly through biz (Yes, long ago and not on Delta). Getting antsy. Got back to steerage, where she finally turned and asked Mrs. Roadie: "We're not flying THIRD class, are we Mommy?"

If eye-daggers could have killed.......

Uh - oh.

Now you've done it!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:17 pm

Programs: Delta 2MM DM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
I ran into a DYKWIA today at DTW

PIn-stripped Blue Suit. He walks in right in front of me. There is a line waiting...I'd say maybe 4 or 5 in front of him. He just walks on by everyone and starts into the club. The attendant stops him and says he needs to be checked in and then he goes off. He doesn't have time to wait in line...He's a Diamond...It's BS that he has to wait. What a jerk. Really it didn't take 2 min. For the lady to check us all in...but he's a Diamond....lol.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FalconStng
PIn-stripped Blue Suit. He walks in right in front of me. There is a line waiting...I'd say maybe 4 or 5 in front of him. He just walks on by everyone and starts into the club. The attendant stops him and says he needs to be checked in and then he goes off. He doesn't have time to wait in line...He's a Diamond...It's BS that he has to wait. What a jerk. Really it didn't take 2 min. For the lady to check us all in...but he's a Diamond....lol.
^ ...aaaaand we're back!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:21 pm

He must have not noticed the DM line...
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:37 am

Did they call security or let him get away with it?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by twtrvl
Quote:

Did they call security or let him get away with it?
Does the security consist of KMs armed with soda guns that shoot Gordon's?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:06 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I always thought it was a Maginot-esque line of ham sandwich catapults...
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
This thread has been reopened after the moderators were forced to remove a large number of off topic posts. It would be greatly appreciated by not only the moderators but the vast majority of our members if this type of behavior would stop. The DL moderators have allowed you a great deal of leeway in your comments and are among the most lenient on FT but we will enforce the TOS if this continues!
RSSrsvp - Moderator

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Aug 9, 2013 at 8:48 am
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Wouldn't that be classed as "Cruel and unusual punishment?"

Anyway, this weekend I am flying United and Frontier so I will watch carefully for any DYKWIA behavior and report back. I don't have status so I have no skin in the game so to speak.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Wouldn't that be classed as "Cruel and unusual punishment?"

Anyway, this weekend I am flying United and Frontier so I will watch carefully for any DYKWIA behavior and report back. I don't have status so I have no skin in the game so to speak.
Or possibly punishment meeting the crime for what some of these folks put DL employees and others through.

Heading out on a leisure trip this weekend. Hopefully I won't have any fodder for this thread, but if I do I'll at least have some time to do a richly descriptive writeup.

Quick side note: ^ to RSSrsvp and the mods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.