Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta picked me up in a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by labjr1
Being picked up in the Porsche is a pure myth, much like unicorns. Being a million miler and long term diamond I have not experienced it either. I've seen 4 Porsche's sitting parked in Atlanta, but they are window dressing as this is purely a myth - either that or the fact that I don't have Kryptonium status plays into it.
It is simple. People who do not use apostrophes correctly will never savor the sweet, sweet ride of a Porsche tooling along the tarmac at 15 MPH.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by labjr1
Being picked up in the Porsche is a pure myth, much like unicorns. Being a million miler and long term diamond I have not experienced it either. I've seen 4 Porsche's sitting parked in Atlanta, but they are window dressing as this is purely a myth - either that or the fact that I don't have Kryptonium status plays into it.
http://news.delta.com/porsche-servic...ga-sea-and-dtw

I'd also say that according to the article they were able to pick up 35,000 people in a year at ATL, MSP, JFK, and LAX.

It has since been expanded to include SEA, DTW, LGA. If we assume roughly the same number of pickups at all airports then we are looking at roughly 60,000 people per year. That is quite a few but considering there are roughly 70,000,000 people a year that are flying Delta your odds of getting a Porsche ride .086%

Admittedly this is the percentage for everyone if the rides were completely at random and all flights touched one of those hubs, but still not good odds.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:29 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I always choose an "a" seat on the left side of the plane and always look for a Porsche whenever we pull up to the gate. There has only been one time I have seen it at my flight and it was NOT for me.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by 355F1
I always choose an "a" seat on the left side of the plane and always look for a Porsche whenever we pull up to the gate. There has only been one time I have seen it at my flight and it was NOT for me.
Sure it doesn't have the cache`of a Porsche but think how many more people DL could pick up!

Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kop84
http://news.delta.com/porsche-servic...ga-sea-and-dtw

I'd also say that according to the article they were able to pick up 35,000 people in a year at ATL, MSP, JFK, and LAX.

It has since been expanded to include SEA, DTW, LGA. If we assume roughly the same number of pickups at all airports then we are looking at roughly 60,000 people per year. That is quite a few but considering there are roughly 70,000,000 people a year that are flying Delta your odds of getting a Porsche ride .086%

Admittedly this is the percentage for everyone if the rides were completely at random and all flights touched one of those hubs, but still not good odds.
If these numbers are approximately right, that would be less than one Porsche ride per year on average for DMs. Since the service is presumably slanted toward 360s, the average would be less than that for DMs who aren't 360.

My sole Porsche ride was from the Museum of Flight to the ATL Hilton at the end of the Freddie Awards party. OTOH, I fly mostly nonstops (except for connections at AMS, NRT, and CDG) and when I must book connections, I try very hard to allow SCT = Sensible Connection Time rather than just MCT.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
It would be helpful to know how much MM status counts towards the likelihood of getting a ride, if at all. I'm at a hair over 700,000 lifetime miles right now.

Picked up last week @ MSP - ~400k lifetime for me.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect that airport staff and FAs are more impressed by MM status on the manifest or the account than DL headquarters staff and phone agents. Indeed, I commonly have the impression during the TATL/TPAC personalized thanks at the end of the flight that pursers notice my MM status more than my DM status.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond,1.8 MM; AA Gold
Originally Posted by 355F1
I've seen it twice outside the jetway on tight connections and my heart skips a little beat hoping it's finally my turn until I see the sign for Robert, William, etc .....any name but mine
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thought I'd get it a few months ago when I had a tight intl connection at JFK... traveling on paid BE ticket and taxiing to T2 when the flight to BCN was already boarding in T4.
The GA called my phone looking for me to see if I was going to make it. Was one of last pax to board with doors closing under 10 min after I boarded.

Was hoping for the porsche, but got the jitney instead... so the thing about being based on MM, status, and ticket value doesn't always hold true either.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:23 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
A coupl'a times, when I got off flights and saw a bunch of young guyz with wheel chairs standing in the jetway with signs with names on them, I have said:

Okay, which one is my Porsche?!?

They alwayz giggle, but, I wonder if really know what I'm talking about!

Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:34 am
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Welp - that was cool!

Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy
Welp - that was cool!
I must say your FT handle does not disappoint^
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Agreed ^
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Agreed ^
+2

My God, that's amazing.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
For those curious the fleet is usually kept by T 7/8 under the overhang.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.