Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Baggage Fees and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Fees and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:05 am
Formerly known as god_forbids

Programs: DL Kettle
@mlsrar: Usually fly with just myself and my SO, but have never had that happen as FO or GM ...
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: Delta Gold :-( KLM Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by god_forbids
@mlsrar: Usually fly with just myself and my SO, but have never had that happen as FO or GM ...
So is there a definitive answer to the following:

a) If you are Medallion with Delta, does your party also get the free checked luggage allowance?

b) If you are Skyteam Elite, do you get a free checked baggage allowance?
b1) Does your party get it also

Assumption is they are flying on the same reservation.

Bonus question: Is a carseat considered a piece of luggage if checked at check-in?

Thanks all!
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by delayedinLGA

a) If you are Medallion with Delta, does your party also get the free checked luggage allowance?

Assumption is they are flying on the same reservation.

Bonus question: Is a carseat considered a piece of luggage if checked at check-in?

Thanks all!
a) yes! Everyone on the same PNR gets the luggage allowance.

Carseat is NOT considered a piece of luggage, as in it can be checked for free. The rationale is that people would be unwilling to pay the check fees for it, and possibly put their child in danger at their destination by not using a car seat.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:36 pm

Programs: Delta Gold :-( KLM Gold HH Diamond
OK, finally I can say it: Delta SUCKS

Sorry to waste everyone's time...
From the website: http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/baggage/index.jsp#limits

"When will the Delta and Northwest baggage fee alignment take place?

We have aligned our baggage policies and fees to simplify the travel experience. Fees for first and second bags vary based on date of purchase and itinerary. Our Baggage Allowance page gives the most up to date information, along with size and weight limits"
(hmmmm. aligning it would mean that Skyteam Elites would be exempt from baggage charges)

"Will SkyTeam Elite/ElitePlus customers be given an exception to the charge?

No. SkyTeam Elite/ElitePlus customers traveling in the economy cabin will be subject to the appropriate checked baggage fees."

also :"Unticketed Infant/Child
If children are traveling for free, they don’t have a baggage allowance. So any baggage for the child counts as part of the adult's baggage allowance."

So, even if you fly 100 million miles a year, if you are Skyteam Elite and fly domestically, you get charged 23 dollars for the first bag and 32 on the second... What a crock....FB elites were treated correctly by Northwest airlines... I've tried to be measured during th merger and after, but this really blows. ...

By the way, I was on the "customer service" line for 40 minutes today and even a supervisor could not quote what clearly is on the website...
Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Can you point us to the contradictory wording on delta.com?
see quote below. The part that contradicts to me is the charging of the skyteam elites/elite plus members. Medallion members, gold and plat are sky team elite/elite plus members. When I first read it I was confused b/c in one paragraph I get free bags and the next I don't.

I realize now that they are talking about FB members not DL medallions. Perhaps they should make a clearer chart

( it would mean that Skyteam Elites would be exempt from baggage charges)

"Will SkyTeam Elite/ElitePlus customers be given an exception t
to the charge?

No. SkyTeam Elite/ElitePlus customers traveling in the economy cabin will be subject to the appropriate checked baggage fees."

also :"Unticketed Infant/Child
If children are traveling for free, they don’t have a baggage allowance. So any baggage for the child counts as part of the adult's baggage allowance."

So, even if you fly 100 million miles a year, if you are Skyteam Elite and fly domestically, you get charged 23 dollars for the first bag and 32 on the second... What a crock....FB elites were treated correctly by Northwest airlines... I've tried to be measured during th merger and after, but this really blows. ...

By the way, I was on the "customer service" line for 40 minutes today and even a supervisor could not quote what clearly is on the website...
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:27 am
Formerly known as god_forbids

Programs: DL Kettle

Yes. As an update to my above post, the flight I checked in for today showed the free baggage allowance for my non-status SO on the same PNR (she could add up to 2 free bags).
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:07 am

Rules do seem to conflict but elites do get 2 free bags in coach for everyone on same prn. Split the PRN and only elite will get the free bags.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:52 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Luggage Fees

Quick question before i contact Delta.

I bought my mom an award ticket in Business Class from Barcelona to Atlanta. And then I bought her a separate ticket on Delta again from Atlanta to New Orleans. The reason for that is that I could not find a low tier flight to New Orleans for her. 150.000 miles versus 100.000 miles.
So she is flying on an award ticket in Business to Atlanta and then on a bought coach ticket to New Orleans.
Today when she presented both itineraries in Barcelona she was charged $25 for her suitcase for her flight from Atlanta to New Orleans.
I was under the impression that if you fly International and then connect to a Domestic Flight you would be exempt from luggage fees. She was not even checked in, they only issued the luggage tag to New Orleans, but she still has to get her boarding pass in Atlanta.

Any Delta experts, could you provide me with any thoughts on this situation...
Thanks a lot
Old Jun 23, 2010, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
It could be because the flights were not on the same PNR...
Old Jun 23, 2010, 2:01 am

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by stefan76
Quick question before i contact Delta.
I was under the impression that if you fly International and then connect to a Domestic Flight you would be exempt from luggage fees.
I think this only applies if the flights are on the same ticket and not if you connect from an international flight on one ticket to a domestic flight on another ticket.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM
Bag delayed 3 days - refund extra bag fees

Howdy,

My friend's bags were delayed in what was apparently a pretty bad day at ORD this weekend.

Whole thing was a mess, lots of chaos, she slept on the floor at DTW then waited another 12 hours until she could get out, etc.

All annoying, but apparently it was a pretty bad weather day in Chicago.

What she's most ticked about is that she had to pay 50 Euros to check her second bag and they are now saying that it'll come on Monday, three days after she was scheduled to arrive and 36 hours after she got there.

Anyone ever had any luck asking for the extra baggage fee back?

Is any other compensation due? (This is the outbound, not a return home.)

Thanks.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
I have never heard once getting the fees back. However, a quick note to customer care will get a voucher or miles of some sort.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Some have tried without success!

American Airlines Sued for $5M After Refusing $25 Lost Bag Refund
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
What does she have to lose by asking? She may get noting, a $ credit, miles or more.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
Absolutely, she'll ask.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I'll report back if anything good comes of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.