Which would you choose?

Subscribe
Heading to AMS in May and looking at my local/connecting airports, I have a choice of planes. That said, which would you choose as GM flying in coach?

767 direct EWR - AMS

747 direct JFK - AMS (and a 777 home)

A330 via connection from DTW - AMS
If air travel is still a great adventure where you might encounter many exciting situations, meet interesting rebooking agents in strange airports, and visit places you didn't expect to, then take the connecting flights. If your primary aim is to get from A to B, then take the direct.
What is your home airport ?
I just came back on the A330 from AMS in Y. If you get one of the emergency exit seats (row 10, avoid the window), you'll be pretty comfortable. Good IFE.
Don't know about DTW as a connection, though (never been through there).

Leg room and IFE are important to me when I fly (even if I have to accept a connection).

You might also want to check the thread about the new 'economy comfort'. I think the 767's are getting done already. Don't know anyone who's flown an updated 330 yet and don't know if 747's are getting done. That might sway your decision - lot of leg room, especially in the bulkhead seats, and supposedly more (double) recline.
Quote: be pretty comfortable. Good IFE.
Don't know about DTW as a connection..
one of the best/easiest/quickest connection (if not the best) in the DL system.
Quote: What is your home airport ?
ABE is my home airport. Not worried about the DTW connection - I do it all the time.
What kind of 767? If the 300 series then I would suggest taking the flight from JFK or the connection (don't forget BOS as another connection option).
Quote: one of the best/easiest/quickest connection (if not the best) in the DL system.
Do you have to re-clear TSA when making an international-domestic connection? Do they have GE? I keep thinking I read something about DTW TSA being jerks, but I could be wrong.
Quote: Do you have to re-clear TSA when making an international-domestic connection? Do they have GE? I keep thinking I read something about DTW TSA being jerks, but I could be wrong.
Yes and yes. Don't know about DTW specifically, but many TSA agents are less than stellar. That said, DTW is a fantastic airport for connections. For ease, DTW, MSP and SLC are at the top.
EWR: Drive <1.5 hours from home
JFK: Drive 2+ hours from home
ABE-DTW: add an out-of-the-way connection on a RJ and at least 1 hour layover

EWR looks like a clear winner to me.
I'm not sure if Gold gets Economy Comfort on KLM, but I just flew it (trip report) and got assigned in the EC cabin automatically as a Diamond and really, really enjoyed it. Actually, the best economy flight I've ever taken.

The only thing with EWR is that if your flight is cancelled, you are much more limited with Skyteam rerouting than if you are at JFK.
Quote: I'm not sure if Gold gets Economy Comfort on KLM, but I just flew it (trip report) and got assigned in the EC cabin automatically as a Diamond and really, really enjoyed it. Actually, the best economy flight I've ever taken.

The only thing with EWR is that if your flight is cancelled, you are much more limited with Skyteam rerouting than if you are at JFK.
I was surprised to see no one suggested EWR.

Check-in and security for this flight is incredible quick and easy, and the A330 is a nice flight. While I agree about there being less options in case of IRROPs, I wouldn't let this stop me.
I would go with the JFK route.
Quote: I was surprised to see no one suggested EWR.
..other than third line of the OP!
EWR-AMS is 767 this month...