Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could the problem have been that the GA cleared non revs into BE too early? That or forgetting about the OP's "arrangement" could be the cause, but refusing to change the situation and put the OP back into BE sounds to me like some staff members decided on their own that nonrevs "deserved" the BE seats over a paying frequent customer.
Sometimes people just get entrenched in their position and are reluctant to admit a mistake. I'm glad the DM line got this one sorted for the OP.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Could the problem have been that the GA cleared non revs into BE too early? That or forgetting about the OP's "arrangement" could be the cause, but refusing to change the situation and put the OP back into BE sounds to me like some staff members decided on their own that nonrevs "deserved" the BE seats over a paying frequent customer.
I agree completely. This probably was not deliberate, pre-planned SHEENA when the standby list was cleared. But a redcoat is the one who is supposed to have judgment and exercise discretion to fix things that rigid policies would miss. It borders on unforgivable for him to insist that he won't switch a non-rev who was mistakenly cleared into first with a paying passenger who had been promised that seat. If his judgment is that poor, he's in the wrong job and there are going to be problems with his decision making in the future.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:52 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Could the problem have been that the GA cleared non revs into BE too early?
@:-) Ding

It just reminded me of a story of a close friend of mine who, at the time, was a DL GA/RedCoat at DTW.

She was non-revving from DTW/NRT (& eventually SIN). Sitting in BE - drink in hand - door just about to close, the GA comes onboard, and yanks her out of BE and moves her to a middle Y seat (which is all that was left at the point). The GA explains that someone who they thought was going to miss the connection - actually made it, and they were on a paid BE ticket.

So, the RIGHT THING TO DO, in the case of a PAYING PAX, seems to be, to UNDO the BP for the non-revver, and reseat them in Y, regardless of how close to departure time it is! Why would a RedCoat even question - NOT - taking care of a paying customer first!

Oh, wait a minute . . . . This is the Shena thread!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
@:-) Ding

It just reminded me of a story of a close friend of mine who, at the time, was a DL GA/RedCoat at DTW.

She was non-revving from DTW/NRT (& eventually SIN). Sitting in BE - drink in hand - door just about to close, the GA comes onboard, and yanks her out of BE and moves her to a middle Y seat (which is all that was left at the point). The GA explains that someone who they thought was going to miss the connection - actually made it, and they were on a paid BE ticket.

So, the RIGHT THING TO DO, in the case of a PAYING PAX, seems to be, to UNDO the BP for the non-revver, and reseat them in Y, regardless of how close to departure time it is! Why would a RedCoat even question - NOT - taking care of a paying customer first!

Oh, wait a minute . . . . This is the Shena thread!
It's also pretty explicit in the buddy pass etiquette rules IIRC that were once linked on FT that nonrevs do not have a guaranteed seat or flight until the plane actually leaves. If they are ever asked by a GA/redcoat to change seats or leave the flight for any reason (or no given reason) they are absolutely to do as requested immediately and with no discussion or complaints. So the nonrevs certainly did not own those BE seats, even if they had boarding passes or had already boarded. IMO this was just another case of the GA and redcoat looking out for their own at the expense of their employer's paying customers. The GA and especially the redcoat should have exercised better judgment so that this never became an issue that inconvenienced the revenue BE passenger.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
[QUOTE=MSPeconomist;23728515]It's also pretty explicit in the buddy pass etiquette rules IIRC that were once linked on FT that nonrevs do not have a guaranteed seat or flight until the plane actually leaves. If they are ever asked by a GA/redcoat to change seats or leave the flight for any reason (or no given reason) they are absolutely to do as requested immediately and with no discussion or complaints. So the nonrevs certainly did not own those BE seats, even if they had boarding passes or had already boarded./QUOTE]

This response is totally correct. Until the plane actually leaves the gate, your seat is subject to change and or being pulled. Part of the thrill/adventure of flying Non-Rev. You just never know.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by BumpMeVoucherMeATL
99 out of 100 times I call the normal Diamond line. When s*** hits the fan and things get cray-cray and I'm at my wits end with delta... I call that number and the issue gets resolved. It's never my first point of contact, but it's the tool in my belt when things get sticky. Use with caution and exercise discretion.
Does that line operate 24x7 - I had previously thought it did not.

David
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Does that line operate 24x7 - I had previously thought it did not.

David
AFAIK the Atlanta customer service line is basically for complaints/issues after travel and isn't 24/7 but it's not exactly just business hours either, IIRC open to 7 pm ATL time.

IME they sometimes pass DM calls back to the DM line.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Sometimes people just get entrenched in their position and are reluctant to admit a mistake. I'm glad the DM line got this one sorted for the OP.
exactly
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
AFAIK the Atlanta customer service line is basically for complaints/issues after travel and isn't 24/7 but it's not exactly just business hours either, IIRC open to 7 pm ATL time.

IME they sometimes pass DM calls back to the DM line.
That's what I thought. At one time, if you entered your SM number, you got kicked back to the appropriate Medallion desk.

David
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond,1.8 MM; AA Gold
Sheena in action on flight 2537 ATL-EWR 10/26...I sat in first class while watching an empty seat 3B remain so, with about 20 people on the upgrade list. Just before boarding door closed, a Delta captain slid quickly into that seat without any luggage, so I think he had stored it early on in the process of boarding or before boarding started. If I were #1 on the list, I would have been pissed. Not sure if the person who should have had that seat noticed it or not. I hope they did, and that they reported it.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:50 pm

The captain might have been assigned a seat as a passenger in the cockpit. When the FC seat was empty, he/she moved into it. In fact, the captain might have boarded early to stow bags or might have placed them in the cockpit (or in the closet, assuming that the aircraft had one). Did the person making the post see the captain move up from coach?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Or maybe the Captain was NRPS traveling for work?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:00 pm

Or maybe the Captain was NRPS traveling for work?
True, but then it would be a bit unusual for the captain to board so late.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:39 pm

True, but then it would be a bit unusual for the captain to board so late.
The OP doesn't say he boarded late, just that he slid into his seat with no luggage, & that he probably stored it earlier.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
The OP doesn't say he boarded late, just that he slid into his seat with no luggage, & that he probably stored it earlier.
This. I wouldn't be surprised if he boarded early, stowed his luggage, then went up to the cockpit to hang out with the crew until departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.