Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: DL MM DM, AA Plat, BA Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Could not disagree more

I have had the Plat Amex DL for a number of years and have very happily and successfully used the free companion ticket cert. Now that the certificate is available on the online profile it's really straightforward to use. OP doesn't have a leg to stand on IMO.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:44 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I've never had an issue using the free companion cert. We've also been upgraded on flights - a great benefit!
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
+1 on no problems using the certificate. Simple, straightforward process that usually results in me gettings the flights that I want at, or very close, to the times that I want.

I did learn the hard way (and admit that I didn't read the fine print before pulling the trigger so this is purely my fault) is that if your plans change and you decide to cancel the tickets you lose the certificate as well. It would be nice to be able to get it back but this is a small quibble.
yshteyman and newmanium like this.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Rewards Gold; Amex Platinum
I've had a platinum DL Amex for quite a number of years and have used my certificate without issue each and every year. I certainly don't intend to flame the OP, but his/her reaction seems to this seems a bit overdone. The certificate is intended as a benefit, and not a guarantee of fare availability. I'm sure the OP could probably find another trip that the certificate would still benefit them.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:46 am

just to add to the pileup, i found the plat companion certificate to be very easy to use via the website and used mine for the first time this year with no issues. ^
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
MANY threads related to AmEx companion certificates ... wrt L/U/T my experience is that the same inventory has to be available on both legs of connecting trips (e.g., xxx-MSP in L connecting to MSP-yyy in T doesn't work)
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:18 pm

Delta Companion Cetrtificate

I too have had great difficulty in using my companion certificates on Delta. I believe my sucess rate in gettiing a reservation using them is about one out of 10. If it were a real benefit then you would get a companion ticket for any ticket you buy, and the eligible seats would only be limited to empty unreserved seats.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
You can read the fine print here:
http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...ates/index.jsp
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
i've had no problem using my platinum amex companion certificate for the past 4 years running.....
Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by jrl22
MANY threads related to AmEx companion certificates ... wrt L/U/T my experience is that the same inventory has to be available on both legs of connecting trips (e.g., xxx-MSP in L connecting to MSP-yyy in T doesn't work)
i would be amazed if you found a flight that had T availability but no L ...
Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Silver, SPG GOLD, Hertz PC
I have not had an issue using these certificates, infact use one month for a last minute flight to Fort Myers. Cheap flight and my compainion was upgraded on two of the four legs. I am sure it is hit or miss depending on when you book the flight and where you are flying. Alway worth checking to see if it will work. ^
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA, HH Silver, Priority Gold
Originally Posted by jrl22
I believe this is the problem that the OP was trying to explain (though not clearly). Let's say you are trying to book xxx-ATL-yyy on the outbound. xxx-ATL must be in the same fare class as ATL-yyy. If one is T and the other is L class, the certificate does not work. Same applies for return.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by decibel08
i would be amazed if you found a flight that had T availability but no L ...
Yes, so why can't the ticket be booked in the lowest common fare code for both segments?

Is this a case where the agent didn't think things through?

I'm assuming that you still have to call to use the companion cert. I haven't used one for years.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by olmikell
I too have had great difficulty in using my companion certificates on Delta. I believe my sucess rate in gettiing a reservation using them is about one out of 10. If it were a real benefit then you would get a companion ticket for any ticket you buy, and the eligible seats would only be limited to empty unreserved seats.
Another one-shot wonder with a complaint?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Tomphot
I've never had an issue using the free companion cert. We've also been upgraded on flights - a great benefit!
upgrades are not available for the companion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.