Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:52 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by taxi_driver
Hello,

I am based in Italy (FLR) in a city with no Delta direct flights but plenty of ST options. I have 26,000 skymiles sitting in my DL account and an upcoming trip to South Africa in Y with KL/AF for which I will earn around 9,000 miles.

I would keep the account active only if I could use Skymiles on other ST carriers, but as far as I know I can't use Delta miles to upgrade on any ST partner, correct?

Am I better off putting those miles on a brand new FlyingBlue account rather than Delta? I have no plans to come to the US in the next 12 months...so I can't even burn them on an intra-US flight....

What would you do in my situation?

Thank you!

Giovanni
You can't use Delta miles to upgrade on other SkyTeam carriers, but you could redeem them for free flights on other SkyTeam carriers -- you should have enough, at the very least, for a one-way flight within Europe, so those Delta miles don't need to go to waste even if you aren't flying to the US any time soon.

But, going forward, I agree it probably doesn't make sense for you to continue to earn Delta miles, since by earning FlyingBlue miles (or Alitalia miles) you would have access to more redemption options on AF/KL (or AZ).

There are some slight differences in terms of what fees you'd be charged on award tickets that could make Delta miles a better option for you in certain cases, but the benefits of earning miles with a carrier closer to home probably outweigh that.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by bgriff
You can't use Delta miles to upgrade on other SkyTeam carriers
Unless you're departing AMS...

Thanks to baccarat_king, cash+miles: http://travelzork.com/day-of-departu...e-and-a-trick/
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: M&M
Thank you both!
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MIA-LHR-FCO

Can someone point me to the right direction on how to achieve this route being priced as US-Europe?

I can find MIA-LHR on VS at 62.5K.

I can find LHR-FCO on AZ at 25K.

But the website would not price it at 62.5K and use a different routing.

EDIT

It is working now. It prices at 62.5K for both legs. Whew.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
I'm trying to book a one way business class ticket in late November from MAD-CDG-IAH all on AF. AF website shows that the flights are available as a "classic award" so I would think that DL agents would be able to see it, but they claim that it's not available. I know previously there was an issue with DL agents not able to book AF "classic" awards, but I believe that has now been resolved. So did I get a clueless agent or is there still an issue with DL not being able to book AF classic awards?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by elbombo
I'm trying to book a one way business class ticket in late November from MAD-CDG-IAH all on AF. AF website shows that the flights are available as a "classic award" so I would think that DL agents would be able to see it, but they claim that it's not available. I know previously there was an issue with DL agents not able to book AF "classic" awards, but I believe that has now been resolved. So did I get a clueless agent or is there still an issue with DL not being able to book AF classic awards?
It may not be available to DL.

All AF flights available as DL awards will be available as AF Classic awards.
Not all AF Classic awards will be available as DL awards.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Dia, IHG Plat, Le Club All Plat, Accor Plus, BW Dia, Millennium Gold, Sixt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bgriff
You can't use Delta miles to upgrade on other SkyTeam carriers...
I thought it is possible with certain ST airlines.

http://www.skyteam.biz/en/Customer-a...grade-Program/

I am too looking for upgrade award possibility on VN, but it seems impossible using SM.
Is there anyway to get around this? Am looking for a one-way upgrade on VN for SIN-SGN.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by neo2122
I thought it is possible with certain ST airlines.

http://www.skyteam.biz/en/Customer-a...grade-Program/

I am too looking for upgrade award possibility on VN, but it seems impossible using SM.
Is there anyway to get around this? Am looking for a one-way upgrade on VN for SIN-SGN.
Most ST you can, but must be full Y fare.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Using Skymiles on Korean Air for MLE-CMB

I am trying to plan a creative positioning trip to get to CMB and one of my options includes a need to fly one way from Male to Colombo. Korean Airways have a direct flight 473 which flies 3 x weekly. Its bookable as a one way award on Skypass for 22,500 in Business and in theory I think it should be bookable as a partner award on Delta.

However it does not show up as a valid route when I try an online redemption.

1) I have 85,000 miles. Is this likely to be enough for 3 one way seats.? (I know availability is also another issue)

2) Before I start making international calls to Delta reservations will they even offer this over the phone if its not available online or am i wasting my time...

Thanks for any insights...
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by cmdsea
I am trying to plan a creative positioning trip to get to CMB and one of my options includes a need to fly one way from Male to Colombo. Korean Airways have a direct flight 473 which flies 3 x weekly. Its bookable as a one way award on Skypass for 22,500 in Business and in theory I think it should be bookable as a partner award on Delta.

However it does not show up as a valid route when I try an online redemption.

1) I have 85,000 miles. Is this likely to be enough for 3 one way seats.? (I know availability is also another issue)

2) Before I start making international calls to Delta reservations will they even offer this over the phone if its not available online or am i wasting my time...

dullta.com is blissfully ignorant of many airports/destinations. I would first check in FB (e.g. airfrance.us award search) to see is the flight available via other SkyTeam airlines. If so, then call DL to book by phone (only way to book flights to destinations that dullta.com is not programmed to recognize) and it should be doable, but the cost won't be the same as with KE; it'll be whatever it is as per the (hidden and undisclosed) DL award chart.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by cmdsea

Why don't you call the local delta number +65 6336 3371?
Old Jul 11, 2015, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Can someone point me to the right direction on how to achieve this route being priced as US-Europe?

I can find MIA-LHR on VS at 62.5K.

I can find LHR-FCO on AZ at 25K.

But the website would not price it at 62.5K and use a different routing.

EDIT

It is working now. It prices at 62.5K for both legs. Whew.

I have the same issue and so far can't get it to work.
I am trying to go from IAD to MCT on 12/21 in business. Delta.com keeps asking for 102500 miles for this itinerary. However if i check it segment by segment, the following is available at the low level.

DTW to AMS to MCT on Delta and KLM at 70K
IAD to DTW on Delta at 25K

I have called delta few times but have been unable to get delta reps to construct this itinerary for 70K. Should i continue with HUCA?
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by takhliq1
I have the same issue and so far can't get it to work.
I am trying to go from IAD to MCT on 12/21 in business. Delta.com keeps asking for 102500 miles for this itinerary. However if i check it segment by segment, the following is available at the low level.

DTW to AMS to MCT on Delta and KLM at 70K
IAD to DTW on Delta at 25K

I have called delta few times but have been unable to get delta reps to construct this itinerary for 70K. Should i continue with HUCA?
IAD-DTW-AMS-DOH-MCT now prices at 87,500 on 12/21 with IAD-DTW in coach.

Alternatively, there are some options IAD-DXB on 12/21 and you could buy a separate ticket DXB-MCT.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
IAD-DTW-AMS-DOH-MCT now prices at 87,500 on 12/21 with IAD-DTW in coach.

Alternatively, there are some options IAD-DXB on 12/21 and you could buy a separate ticket DXB-MCT.

Hi Michael,
Thank you very much for the reply. I wan on the phone again today and spent about 45 minutes. I was given that 87500 option but i refused. The rep kept telling me that the system does not allow them to add IAD to DTW for the same price (70K) even though low level was available.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by takhliq1
Hi Michael,
Thank you very much for the reply. I wan on the phone again today and spent about 45 minutes. I was given that 87500 option but i refused. The rep kept telling me that the system does not allow them to add IAD to DTW for the same price (70K) even though low level was available.
Combining low-level domestic segments with low-level international flights has become more and more difficult lately as DL's systems and agents are fully enforcing married segment logic.

Award flights are now, like cash prices, priced based on O/D, and not necessarily the individual segments that make up the trip. There seem to still be a few agents at the manual reissue desk who will make it work, but it seems to be more and more rare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.