Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest cruise ever?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
Originally Posted by Photonerd71
The SS Minnow, was supposed to just be a two hour cruise but in reality much longer. Most time spent on a nice uncrowded pacific island. Small crew and all the coconut dishes you can stand.
If it is good enough for the Howells then it is good enough for us.
I never could understand why, the professor, who could make a nuclear reactor out of a couple coconut shells, some palm leafs and a few sticks...........could never fix the damn boat.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Our last cruise was two segments of a 117 day cruise. There was one woman there who was getting off in Italy, rather than England because her seniors' assisted living building had a limit of 90 days away at a time before she had to give up her apartment.

Our upcoming cruise is 29 day. Our previous longest was 28 days and at day 27 I was ready to pack. At day 20 I wasn't on my last cruise, so I know my limit is around 4 weeks.

We are doing an RTW but in segments. So far we've done a transatlantic and from Sydney to Hong Kong, plus Florida to Alaska. Next month is up the west coast of Africa on the Silver Wind.

Hedoman How do you like Seabourn compared to Silver Sea? The Shadow is our favourite Silver Sea ship so far (the Wind will be new to us but I'm not sure I can do without a separate shower and tub - which makes me sound awfully spoiled!)
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
7 nights my longest. Loved it NCL cruise HNL-HNL.
When I am retired I would like to do a much longer one - but wow - yes anything over 50 nights never mind 100 is a long cruise.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:06 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
A few years ago we did 22 days on a freighter from Auckland to SF by way of Fiji. Mach 0.02 but with flat beds.

RTWs on freighters can be good value if you have the time. See http://www.freighterworld.com/places/atw.html or http://freightercruises.com/seaworthy_news_1012.php
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
That is incredible - never knew you could do those. Again, I will have to wait until I am retired.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Jan 20, 2012 at 12:24 pm
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:07 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
How do you like Seabourn compared to Silver Sea? The Shadow is our favourite Silver Sea ship so far (the Wind will be new to us but I'm not sure I can do without a separate shower and tub - which makes me sound awfully spoiled!)
I'm sure you will love Wind but you may just find it feeling a touch small. I'm afraid my favourites will always be Shadow and Whisper and when the cash allows we like to enjoy 801 ......

Wind and Cloud we also like and I'm sure you will love it.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:09 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by hedoman
Eight months booked for this year, and most likely will do more during 2013. Currently on Seabourn Quest to Cape Town, then hop on Silversea Whisper to Singapore. The following month in Asia on Silversea Shadow.

World cruise on Whisper for first most of first four months of 2013.

It really is a much easier way to live.
Lucky man!

I tried to get a group of 3 or 4 couples together to share the cost of a suite on The World. We got quite close to it but sadly one chap pulled out and then another.

Have you seen The World? Sounds like it might be your cup of tea? Some fascinating people live on board.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
1) Have never seen The World and have no interest in trying. I know several who have sailed more than once and they enjoy it.
2) Seperate shower + dual sinks on Whisper/Shadow versus Cloud/Wind makes for a more pleasant stay. Beyond the bath, equally charming.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
The World was in Quebec City when we were there aboard the Whisper. She is an ugly ship but since he first heard of her, my husband has been intrigued so was excited to see her in person.

We looked into it more closely and decided the fees make it far too expensive for us. We also prefer the flexibility of choosing our itinerary and with one month trips, at most I'm exposing myself to a month of misery before I can walk away and try something else. Plus, if my ship sinks before my trip, my loss is minimal to nil. Unlike with the World.

That same attitude has prevented me from buying a vacation property or a timeshare.

The only timeshare I was interested in was linked to a resort I've been going to since I was in utero. We actually attended the presentation, ran the numbers and since we happily commit to being there every year, it didn't seem like a ball and chain as some unknown resort would feel like. But since I knew my family would be changing size (getting smaller at first as the kids stop coming with us each year, and then larger as I add in spouses and grandchildren) we decided to stick with booking our cabin 3 years in advance (a $300 deposit with all but $25 refunded up to 3 weeks prior to the dates.)

We had a 3 bedroom last year for only 3 people which was overkill but this year our non-commitment paid off. The resort's main building (restaurant, pub, games room, pool) burned to the ground. Our deposit is coming back (and I booked us into a place 5 miles away so the local area will still get our travel dollars) but those who own timeshares still have their expenses but are receiving less value without the lodge to provide meals, a pool, or a place to change after coming up from the beach (the time shares are a 10 minute walk from the beach.)
Old Jan 22, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
There is a 95 year old gentleman, Egon Landsberg (Canada), who spent from Nov. 2010 - Nov. 2011 on the MSC Poesia. There have been some incredible reports from him on CruiseCritic about his experiences. He has an overwhelming "lust for life" (plays piano for the other guests almost daily in the atrium, and swims his 10 or so laps early mornings in the pool) and is continuing his journey for much of 2012. Search under "Never too old"... on CC.

------------------

Our longest cruise has been 32 nights on the Diamond Princess from Whittier, AK to Bangkok (Laem Chabong). It was a great trip with lots of wonderful port stops.

Last edited by Tenerife; Jan 22, 2012 at 7:59 pm
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I took Royal Caribbean from Valparaiso around Cape Horn and up to Uruguay and Buenos Aires - about 15 days, a great trip.

It might be fun to go around the world on a ship, but I suspect the long trans-oceanic segments would get really tiresome after a few weeks.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Jan 22, 2012 at 10:07 pm
Old Jan 23, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
Link

I thought 21 days cruise were long, but 107 days? Really?
Most of the big cruise lines have once-a-year big itineraries that are 90-120 days. Not on every ship, though. I've sailed part of a RTW.

If you really want a long cruise, there's always ResidenSea.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
Link

I thought 21 days cruise were long, but 107 days? Really?
I have spent most of the last year cruising. I have a condo on "The World of Residensea". It is great. I get on and off when I want to wonder and meet up with it at the next port or several ports away. Most fun I have ever had
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA,CO,VA,AMEX
Originally Posted by BeatCal
I have spent most of the last year cruising. I have a condo on "The World of Residensea". It is great. I get on and off when I want to wonder and meet up with it at the next port or several ports away. Most fun I have ever had

HeyBeatCal,

My wife and I just bought a unit
We are embarking 4/21 in Nadi !!!

Guess we will meet up but don't know who you are
Newt
Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:07 am

>"Guess we will meet up but don't know who you are."

Try checking the Roll Call Forum for the Residensea over on Cruise Critic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.