FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cruises (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises-179/)
-   -   Longest cruise ever? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises/1300346-longest-cruise-ever.html)

jcmitchell21 Jan 9, 2012 7:59 am

Longest cruise ever?

Link

I thought 21 days cruise were long, but 107 days? Really?

WChou Jan 9, 2012 8:35 am

Regent Seven Seas has a 143 night cruise this year. In the past they've also had 140+ night sailings that nearly circumnavigate the globe.

tentseller Jan 9, 2012 8:43 am

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21 (Post 17777947)
Link

I thought 21 days cruise were long, but 107 days? Really?

Cunard has a RTW sailing where you can buy individual legs. Basically you just pay and don't disembark.

OR some seniors just stay on the same ship cruise after cruise for few months at a time.
http://www.snopes.com/travel/trap/retire.asp

clacko Jan 9, 2012 9:09 am

our longest was 66 days....there were people who were going to stay on for more & people who got on before our start port....

scuttlebutt was that there was a pax who lived on the ship.....

we talked to a lady once who said she was on the ship 10 months each year...

pseudoswede Jan 10, 2012 8:21 am

The $85 on-board credit sold me. In for two! :D

JanePond Jan 10, 2012 12:09 pm

>"we talked to a lady once who said she was on the ship 10 months each year..."

And she has been doing it for years. The itinerary rarely varies. If the ship goes into dry dock, she gets the royal treatment in whatever port the ship is berthed. There used to be a woman who lived on the QEII I think. Captain would have tea with her on a regular basis.
Me? Having done 5 weeks, 3 is my max tolerated any more!

uk1 Jan 10, 2012 3:54 pm

The World is a non-stop continuous cruise - people live on board!

hedoman Jan 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Eight months booked for this year, and most likely will do more during 2013. Currently on Seabourn Quest to Cape Town, then hop on Silversea Whisper to Singapore. The following month in Asia on Silversea Shadow.

World cruise on Whisper for first most of first four months of 2013.

It really is a much easier way to live.

onlyairfare Jan 10, 2012 8:39 pm

There was an article in JAGS (Journal of the American Geriatrics Society) maybe 10 years ago entitled "Cruise Ship Care vs Assisted Living" or something similar. Tongue-in-cheek, it compared the annual cost (similar for both) of each as well as other features.

Cruise ship care came out way ahead - much better food and entertainment, doctor on the premises 24/7, much more interesting environment in the various ports.

So for year round living, cruise ships outscored assisted living. That must be what those cruisers are thinking when they cruise for months at a time. The Holland America forum on CruiseCritic frequently include references to "Mama Lou" who cruises most of the year. Reported when her kids threatened to put her in a nursing home, she sold her house and uses the proceeds to cruise full-time.

piper28 Jan 13, 2012 2:28 pm

One of the smaller lines was doing something like a 300 day RTW trip a few years ago. Course, that might have been Cruise West and the ship was sold out from underneath the people.

Ah, yeah, looks like it was indeed their Spirit of Oceanus world cruise, 335 days, ended prematurely at the end of one of the segments.

Personally, I'd love to do one of those 108 day cruises if I ever had the time and money.

Toolmaker96 Jan 14, 2012 7:00 am

Originally Posted by hedoman (Post 17789511)
Eight months booked for this year, and most likely will do more during 2013. Currently on Seabourn Quest to Cape Town, then hop on Silversea Whisper to Singapore. The following month in Asia on Silversea Shadow.

World cruise on Whisper for first most of first four months of 2013.

It really is a much easier way to live.

Life is rough.
Don't you feel the least bit guilty for the obligations you have left behind at home:D

Photonerd71 Jan 15, 2012 11:33 am

The SS Minnow, was supposed to just be a two hour cruise but in reality much longer. Most time spent on a nice uncrowded pacific island. Small crew and all the coconut dishes you can stand. :D

tentseller Jan 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Photonerd71 (Post 17818356)
The SS Minnow, was supposed to just be a two hour cruise but in reality much longer. Most time spent on a nice uncrowded pacific island. Small crew and all the coconut dishes you can stand. :D

If it is good enough for the Howells then it is good enough for us.

China Clipper Jan 15, 2012 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by onlyairfare (Post 17790131)
There was an article in JAGS (Journal of the American Geriatrics Society) maybe 10 years ago entitled "Cruise Ship Care vs Assisted Living" or something similar. Tongue-in-cheek, it compared the annual cost (similar for both) of each as well as other features.

Cruise ship care came out way ahead - much better food and entertainment, doctor on the premises 24/7, much more interesting environment in the various ports.

So for year round living, cruise ships outscored assisted living. That must be what those cruisers are thinking when they cruise for months at a time. The Holland America forum on CruiseCritic frequently include references to "Mama Lou" who cruises most of the year. Reported when her kids threatened to put her in a nursing home, she sold her house and uses the proceeds to cruise full-time.

Old age is even more appealing than I thought http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ile_tongue.gif

tentseller Jan 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Marsden (Post 17820148)
Old age is even more appealing than I thought http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ile_tongue.gif

Especially when you get to spend your children's inheritance! :D