Search

Longest cruise ever?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: No preference
Longest cruise ever?

Link

I thought 21 days cruise were long, but 107 days? Really?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:35 am

Regent Seven Seas has a 143 night cruise this year. In the past they've also had 140+ night sailings that nearly circumnavigate the globe.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
Link

I thought 21 days cruise were long, but 107 days? Really?
Cunard has a RTW sailing where you can buy individual legs. Basically you just pay and don't disembark.

OR some seniors just stay on the same ship cruise after cruise for few months at a time.
http://www.snopes.com/travel/trap/retire.asp
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
our longest was 66 days....there were people who were going to stay on for more & people who got on before our start port....

scuttlebutt was that there was a pax who lived on the ship.....

we talked to a lady once who said she was on the ship 10 months each year...
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The $85 on-board credit sold me. In for two!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:09 pm

>"we talked to a lady once who said she was on the ship 10 months each year..."

And she has been doing it for years. The itinerary rarely varies. If the ship goes into dry dock, she gets the royal treatment in whatever port the ship is berthed. There used to be a woman who lived on the QEII I think. Captain would have tea with her on a regular basis.
Me? Having done 5 weeks, 3 is my max tolerated any more!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:54 pm
uk1
Suspended

The World is a non-stop continuous cruise - people live on board!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Eight months booked for this year, and most likely will do more during 2013. Currently on Seabourn Quest to Cape Town, then hop on Silversea Whisper to Singapore. The following month in Asia on Silversea Shadow.

World cruise on Whisper for first most of first four months of 2013.

It really is a much easier way to live.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
There was an article in JAGS (Journal of the American Geriatrics Society) maybe 10 years ago entitled "Cruise Ship Care vs Assisted Living" or something similar. Tongue-in-cheek, it compared the annual cost (similar for both) of each as well as other features.

Cruise ship care came out way ahead - much better food and entertainment, doctor on the premises 24/7, much more interesting environment in the various ports.

So for year round living, cruise ships outscored assisted living. That must be what those cruisers are thinking when they cruise for months at a time. The Holland America forum on CruiseCritic frequently include references to "Mama Lou" who cruises most of the year. Reported when her kids threatened to put her in a nursing home, she sold her house and uses the proceeds to cruise full-time.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:28 pm

One of the smaller lines was doing something like a 300 day RTW trip a few years ago. Course, that might have been Cruise West and the ship was sold out from underneath the people.

Ah, yeah, looks like it was indeed their Spirit of Oceanus world cruise, 335 days, ended prematurely at the end of one of the segments.

Personally, I'd love to do one of those 108 day cruises if I ever had the time and money.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by hedoman
Eight months booked for this year, and most likely will do more during 2013. Currently on Seabourn Quest to Cape Town, then hop on Silversea Whisper to Singapore. The following month in Asia on Silversea Shadow.

World cruise on Whisper for first most of first four months of 2013.

It really is a much easier way to live.

Life is rough.
Don't you feel the least bit guilty for the obligations you have left behind at home
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:33 am

The SS Minnow, was supposed to just be a two hour cruise but in reality much longer. Most time spent on a nice uncrowded pacific island. Small crew and all the coconut dishes you can stand.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Photonerd71
The SS Minnow, was supposed to just be a two hour cruise but in reality much longer. Most time spent on a nice uncrowded pacific island. Small crew and all the coconut dishes you can stand.
If it is good enough for the Howells then it is good enough for us.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by onlyairfare
There was an article in JAGS (Journal of the American Geriatrics Society) maybe 10 years ago entitled "Cruise Ship Care vs Assisted Living" or something similar. Tongue-in-cheek, it compared the annual cost (similar for both) of each as well as other features.

Cruise ship care came out way ahead - much better food and entertainment, doctor on the premises 24/7, much more interesting environment in the various ports.

So for year round living, cruise ships outscored assisted living. That must be what those cruisers are thinking when they cruise for months at a time. The Holland America forum on CruiseCritic frequently include references to "Mama Lou" who cruises most of the year. Reported when her kids threatened to put her in a nursing home, she sold her house and uses the proceeds to cruise full-time.
Old age is even more appealing than I thought
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marsden
Old age is even more appealing than I thought
Especially when you get to spend your children's inheritance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.