Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Should you buy a drink package on a cruise? Someone did the math.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should you buy a drink package on a cruise? Someone did the math.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, IHG, HHonors
Brought alcohol (and a blender!) on a Carnival cruise and would do it again in a heartbeat... saved us hundreds for the week!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
Seabourn is luxury line-- of course water and soda are included. And, of course, the fare is multiple times the fare of the lines mostly under discusion here.
Not necessarily. with it's expansion of 3 larger ships, the prices have dropped radically. When one factors how much their bar bill with the tipping daily costs, it may be much closer than one might think. No tipping and all inclusive but for spa treatments and excursions, the costs might surprise many cruisers.

NB: I don't work for Seabourn, Carnival, or anyone else.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Heavy drinker- package yes^
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Originally Posted by JanePond
Not necessarily. with it's expansion of 3 larger ships, the prices have dropped radically. When one factors how much their bar bill with the tipping daily costs, it may be much closer than one might think. No tipping and all inclusive but for spa treatments and excursions, the costs might surprise many cruisers.

NB: I don't work for Seabourn, Carnival, or anyone else.
Interesting. I have never seen a Seaborn fare that wasn't three times the rate of similar HAL itineraries, but then I don't really think of Seaborn as a kid friendly line so I haven't tracked their fares closely.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:19 am

Seabourn certainly is not child-friendly, and that includes some of the passengers. I don't comparison shop because my only HAL cruise was 1962 on the old Statendamn. However, friends who do, have noted recent drops in prices which they believe comparable to similar accommodations to other lines. Certainly not v. an inside cabin, of course.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by alexb133
The drink package is worthwhile if you are traveling with more than 2 people..

We just put the unlimited drinks on my wife's card, and whenever our daughters wanted something she'd get it. I think we really got our money's worth. (assuming they each had 5 or so pops per day, that would mean 5*2 = 10 * 7 days = 70 pops. Plus maybe 10 between my wife and I, so 80.

80 drinks for 40 bucks (I think that's how much it was).

Pretty good value. Alcohol however, was pricey.
Except that you are not supposed to do this. This is no different than stealing. One all-inclusive drink card is for one person. Your wife shouldn't be handing out drinks to anyone, technically.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 5:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
And in gift shops in port, the wife distracted the clerk while the kids just took whatever they wanted. The wife would buy one trinket or another to make it OK.

It's pretty much the same thing.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Originally Posted by JanePond
Seabourn certainly is not child-friendly, and that includes some of the passengers. I don't comparison shop because my only HAL cruise was 1962 on the old Statendamn. However, friends who do, have noted recent drops in prices which they believe comparable to similar accommodations to other lines. Certainly not v. an inside cabin, of course.
We usually book a mid grade balcony for us and a nearby inside or oceanview for the kids. Just looking at the balcony pricing, Seabourn has been 3x the price. I think if one drinks heavily and enjoys the ship sponsored excursions Seabourn could still be a good deal.

On the original topic, we would never "sneak" beverages aboard or attempt to defraud the cruise line via multiple person use of a single drink account, but we do favor lines that allow wine/soda to be brought aboard and that have packages that can be used by multiple people (the HAL soda card for example, works out to about $1.20 per can of soda and can be used by anyone in the party).
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by diamond404
Brought alcohol (and a blender!) on a Carnival cruise and would do it again in a heartbeat... saved us hundreds for the week!
How long ago was that? Carnival has been cracking down pretty heavily on smuggled booze in the last year or two. Some bottles make it, some do not.

OTOH, there is probably very little chance of getting a blender aboard. They are now cracking down on extension cords, so I'm guessing a blender would probably get caught also.

With Carnival, you can buy bottles through the Bon Voyage department, at roughly 2 to 4 times the street price. The more expensive the bottle, the smaller % the markup generally, just like with wine on the ship. Supposedly you can also ordered bottles through room service, but results are (pardon thepun) mixed.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:14 am

All Inclusive

We have found that we love the smaller ships. Our second sailing on the Paul Gauguin which normally focus on Tahiti is in January. All inclusive including all drinks, wine, soda, etc. While I don't drink alcohol those milk shakes are great.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:02 am

My experience has been the packages are not worth it. Assuming 7 days and 5-6 ports I am usually drinking/eating lunch in port and probably one dinner in port. Assuming a couple of drinks and a bottle of wine at dinner I come out ahead just buying it directly rather than the package.

Same is true for excursions I almost never purchase the site seeing packages. You are at the mercy of the tour timing and what they setup. I always just find a local taxi guy and hire for the day. Usually we can find another couple we like and split it and we come out way ahead and do what we want on our time schedule in port
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
This thread is funny.

It comes down to this.

If you can calculate out how much you expect to drink on the cruise, and the package price is less money, it's a good deal. If it's not, than it's not a good deal.

What works for one person may or may not work for somebody else. There's people who can pretty much make the money back on a soda or drink card in the first couple of days of the cruise, and there are people who won't even come close.

There are probably just as many people at the end of any given cruise who wish they bought a drink package but did not spending more than they needed to, as there are people who did and saved a ton of money.

There is no one answer for everybody, it's why they are offered, so people can choose to purchase them or not based on their needs.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
That's a great summary and way to look at things, cordelli. The only thing I would add is that to some people, even if a drink card or package doesn't make total economic sense, it can be worth it just for the peace of mind of not having to pay for each and every visit to a bar. It's kind of like a lite version of all-inclusive pricing on luxury cruise lines...
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
This thread is funny.

It comes down to this.

If you can calculate out how much you expect to drink on the cruise, and the package price is less money, it's a good deal. If it's not, than it's not a good deal.

What works for one person may or may not work for somebody else. There's people who can pretty much make the money back on a soda or drink card in the first couple of days of the cruise, and there are people who won't even come close.

There are probably just as many people at the end of any given cruise who wish they bought a drink package but did not spending more than they needed to, as there are people who did and saved a ton of money.

There is no one answer for everybody, it's why they are offered, so people can choose to purchase them or not based on their needs.
This is all very valid.

Also just know that Cruise companies are in it to make money, so just realize that your cup size that they give you for the drink package is usually fairly small and they always load it with ice. So be prepared to be making constant trips.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:35 am

True, but if you go down to the atrium bar (on Carnival) or in the main dining room, you get a bigger glass (which is actually glass).

It's all relative: I can go with just the occasional soda and "save" money, but I enjoy soda so I get the card. I probably make out like a bandit in the sense that I may get 8 or 10 sodas in a day... but I'd never buy that many.

I like the 'benefit' that if a soda gets warm, or flat, or my hands are full (we have twin toddlers), or it gets knocked over, or it's on the deck and gets pool water splashed in, or I want 1/2 a glass for a rootbeer float, etc... I don't really worry about waste. Not that I intentionally waste food/soda, but at least I'm not throwing away $5 or $10 a day on wasted soda.

The net of it is that I have a soda whenever I want, without having to consider if it's worth the $2 oright now or if I should wait until I inevitable go for a snack in 30 mins.

The downside is that the bar service sucks when they aren't getting a tip. The roaming bar servers generally will never come back with a soda (though admittedly I haven't tried in several years) and some bartenders will generally ignore someone with a soda card, especially if the bar is busy. I actually had one on Carnival Miracle ignore me (or try to) when his bar was totally empty.

Of course it's personal preference. We're there on vacation, so splurging on a soda card is a no brainer. We probably wouldn't be on a cruise to being with if we were calculating the value of our enjoyment strictly based on math.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.