Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Should you buy a drink package on a cruise? Someone did the math.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should you buy a drink package on a cruise? Someone did the math.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by billybob123
I usually carry on two or four 2-litres or a 24 pack (give the 24 to the porters. They'll get it to your room). I abhor the taste of Diet Coke (I do like Coke, but on a cruise I'd rather use the calories on dinner -- though I probably eat 15 cokes' worth of food), so Diet Pepsi from shore is the only way I'll drink it.

Do any cruise lines use Pepsi products? I've only been on Celebrity, RCCL, and Princess.
NCL is the only major cruise line that currently serves Pepsi products.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
thanks for posting that link. i sorta knew the numbers but it was nice seeing it all spelled out again. will have to run the figures from the last cruise to see if my kid got my monies worth out of the card before i buy another one on my cruise next week. LOL!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:25 am

share one

My wife and I have the same first initial...so I use it to sign the single card I buy on the first day. We bring our own thermal cups and I can get a coke and pass off the card to her so she can get Diet coke. A flask of rum or bourbon in the room makes for cheap bar drinks (we usually buy a few frozen thingys too) I noticed pint bottles sold in duty free shops on the islands have plastic caps and dont set off the metal detectors when you come back onboard...finally a use for cargo shorts. Once we bought canned cokes in port, they sent them through the x-ray and never opened the bag to see if it was a 6 pack of coke or beer. That was the trip we brought a case with us, and skipped the card completely, the porters got it to the cabin with no problem.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Paul79UF
Has anyone ever snuck liquor onto a cruise?

I've never been on a cruise, but I have thought about putting rum in a saline solution bottle to have a rum & coke in the room (while she takes her sweet time getting ready) if we ever go on one.
Cases of water are allowed. Slip some of the bottles out of the middle, empty the water and fill with vodka. Carefully replace in case without breaking the plastic wrap. Enjoy.

I have no suggestions for colored liquor.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
The drink package is worthwhile if you are traveling with more than 2 people..

We just put the unlimited drinks on my wife's card, and whenever our daughters wanted something she'd get it. I think we really got our money's worth. (assuming they each had 5 or so pops per day, that would mean 5*2 = 10 * 7 days = 70 pops. Plus maybe 10 between my wife and I, so 80.

80 drinks for 40 bucks (I think that's how much it was).

Pretty good value. Alcohol however, was pricey.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: AC 50K E, A3 Gold, CX Gold
Originally Posted by Venturescout
Cases of water are allowed. Slip some of the bottles out of the middle, empty the water and fill with vodka. Carefully replace in case without breaking the plastic wrap. Enjoy.

I have no suggestions for colored liquor.
thank, was wondering about the cases of water, going to my first cruise this coming october on norwegian sky, short 4 night bahama cruise.. me and my SO, are not heavy drinkers, nor pop drinkers, price of $4.50 for a large bottle of water was a bit worrisome, but if we're allowed to bring cases of water then that'll be one less thing i'll have to be worried about!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by Paul79UF
Has anyone ever snuck liquor onto a cruise?

I've never been on a cruise, but I have thought about putting rum in a saline solution bottle to have a rum & coke in the room (while she takes her sweet time getting ready) if we ever go on one.
Yep, we snuck rum into a bottle of wine... (We were allowed to bring 1 bottle of wine on Carnival, but no liquor.) When the guy asked why it was open, I told him it was home-made wine. He bought it and let us take it on.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
How does wine work if you're a couple buying a single card. Will they bring you a bottle of wine and 2 glasses??
Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Originally Posted by milepig
How does wine work if you're a couple buying a single card. Will they bring you a bottle of wine and 2 glasses??
If you're talking about the Celebrity program, no. That is a per person program. Holland America will bring you multiple glasses, but not leave the bottle as you're purchasing a certain number of "pours" for a set price.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:35 pm

Thanks for the link, Linda.
By the way, with the alcoholic package you still pay the 15% gratuity charge, at least with HAL.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
The Frommer's writer is clearly not a Flyertalker! I was expecting chart on maximizing value, something like "How to Order 42 glasses of premium scotch at a net cost of $1.4 per".

CruiseCritic has far more detailed info on dring prices-- For example the Frommer's article only lists prices for the house wine (generally appallingly bad), but the Celebrity forum on CruiseCritic has a complete list of all by the glass offerings and pricing (which goes up to about $15 per glass IIRC).

Another thing not mentioned in the article is that on some lines you must purchase for all the remaining days in the cruise or for the entire cruise.

I have never purchased the drink package, but I can see that for SOME pax it makes sense.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:22 pm

People who like the occasional glass of wine can also consider buying a bottle and having it stored. Royal and Celebrity ships usually have a wine bar with enomatic dispensers, but also offer actual bottles for purchase.

Celebrity Solstice class also had a half decanter size in the oceanview bar behind the oceanview cafe (buffet) that was $10, I think. The location has an aft ship view which is pretty nice.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
I cannot speak for the lower cost options, but if you are looking at the all inclusive alcohol plans, you better be planning to drink A LOT. We just came back from a Celebrity 11 day cruise and the premium alcohol package would have cost $1200 or so for the two of us. We spent about $600 total including all the things we bought on board, dinner in one of the specialty restaurants, wine, pre dinner drinks, etc.

I would say that unless you have a sea day intensive cruise, you will probably not drink as much as you think as you will be in port for some time of the day.

To each his/her own
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:35 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
On a 7 day cruise, we will bring a 2 or 3 liter box of wine. I break down the box, and put the bag of wine in a gallon size zip lock. Wrapped clothes around the zip lock. Always got through.

We will also buy a bottle or two of wine. On occasion, we had paid $15/bottle corkage to bring the wine onboard. The above was for NCL.

Different cruiselines have different policies.

Last edited by chemist661; Jul 28, 2011 at 11:43 am
Old Jul 29, 2011, 6:40 pm

Pardon my demeanor, but I truly can't believe that people actually bring beverages on board (whether legal or not). That is not my idea of a vacation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.