Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Should you buy a drink package on a cruise? Someone did the math.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should you buy a drink package on a cruise? Someone did the math.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by TTT103
Pardon my demeanor, but I truly can't believe that people actually bring beverages on board (whether legal or not). That is not my idea of a vacation.
i do and have no regrets. i usually bring one or two bottles of wine and maybe a six pack of diet cokes. not a whole bar in any way. i like the convenience of having a diet coke when i want one and not having to schlep up to the closest bar or order it via room service. ditto with the wine. i am not trying to cheat the cruise line out of anything, i just don't care to pay their fees for things i can get myself. of course, i have not sailed with a line that doesn't allow the above per person, either. if i had to go to great lengths to "sneak" stuff on board, i would probably reconsider the necessity of the items and whether or not it is a must to have a good time. YMMV
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Check the liquor policy carefully. Many cruise lines DO allow some beverages brought aboard. Don't want to lug around a bunch of bottles, look at bring a bottle or two on at most ports. There are very few ways to pay more for booze that aboard the ship. Local shoppiing is often a way out.

Liquor packages are usually a big ticket, but "drink packages", both soda and wine can payout. Even if you can bring on wine aboard, that is not the same as having it in the dining room! Also bring a "glass" for drinking in the public areas that does not "give you away". Wine drink tickets are for the "ships" wine, the cheapest. This wine by the bottle often runs out years before the ship sales, but they always seem to find some for the drink tickets! Note the cheapest, non "ships" wine is usually over $50 for 750ml with tax and tip (mandatory) and the "wino" still wants an additional tip at the end of the cruise. these drink tickets also offer you the opportunity to order wine, without having to say you will have a glass of the ships wine, went you are only offered the more expensive ones. Note that the ships wine often is not even on the wine list, you have to ask for it. A few ships do not even provide lists, only a vocal offer of what is available (fortunately this is the minority).

Where the rules prohibit booze to be brought on, you might find the "singles" available at some stores...the ones they use to hand out on planes (some still do) are easily brought aboard. Often in plastic bottles, and convenient to add to water elsewhere on the ship.

Most ships have a night or several where a drink or two (for the early birds and agressive) is available for free (captains party, farewell dinner, alumni luncheon, etc). Some travel agents have coatail parties for groups (AAA). You can often get sparkling wine at the art auctions, without bidding or buying...only signing in. Same goes for some other ships promotions. I have attended a group gig with FT on a cruise (check the boards) and we have pupus and coffee. A larger group might have gotten some booze?

Most ships have the drink of the day special...save a bit. Also a few offer 2-4-1 wine on the wine tickets mid afternoon on limited days.

I got nearly plastered on my first cruise, along with two brothers from San Diego, on NCL. We were the final acts in the costume show, and were kept around in a bar waiting our turn for over an hour! They closed the bar, but reopened it for us, when we threatened to walk out on the show! Note in the Carrib. you can get 151 proof rum...does not take many of these bottles to satisfly the greatest of "needs".

Wine tasting on board is not cheap, but is another way to get a drink or two while being entertained (informed?).

More remote, some higher end cruises offer some (all) booze with certain meals (ie dinner). Some stock your room if you are in a certain level of cabin or above, etc. Getting invited to the captains table for a meal will also get you a glass of wine usually. A less desirable way, we were chased by a killer storm around the South Pacific, locked in the ship (no outside access) for 2 days, and free drinks are offered...at least that is what happened to us at two meals while we watched the plates and glasses smash onto the floor.

happy flying high on the seas!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope this helps...dozen or more cruises for this couple!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:32 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Originally Posted by TTT103
Pardon my demeanor, but I truly can't believe that people actually bring beverages on board (whether legal or not). That is not my idea of a vacation.
Everyone's idea of what is a "vacation" is different... DH would be cranky without Diet Pepsi and I have no interest in booking on NCL, so we bring the Diet Pepsi on board. We also bring several bottles of a reliable red that we often drink at home for drinking on the veranda. We will still order a cocktail around the ship or a glass of wine at dinner as well.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
Everyone's idea of what is a "vacation" is different... DH would be cranky without Diet Pepsi and I have no interest in booking on NCL, so we bring the Diet Pepsi on board. We also bring several bottles of a reliable red that we often drink at home for drinking on the veranda. We will still order a cocktail around the ship or a glass of wine at dinner as well.
^ exactly. i had wondered which cruise ships serve what soda products. i know Princess does the Coke/Diet Coke thing. i was on Allure of the Seas/Royal Caribbean last Nov. and got to try their soda "mixing" machine which had a variety of Coke products. been so long since i was on a HAL ship i dont remember.

which ships lines serve Pepsi products out of curiosity? from your post, does that mean NCL or did i misread? TIA
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:38 pm

I know from personal experience that Celebrity, HAL and Cunard serve only Coke products. I have read that NCL serves Pepsi products, but what I have read about the overall NCL experience leaves me unimpressed.
We considered a Royal Carribean cruise once. I called and asked if we would be permitted to bring on Diet Pepsi as they serve only coke products and was told absolutely not. However, there are multiple reports on Cruisecritic of pax carrying on cases of water and soda without incident. I wasn't comfortable taking the risk-- DH is as cranky without his DP as I am without my morning coffee.....
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:42 pm

As a teenager Elvis Presley worked for a Pepsi Bottler in Tupelo, Mississippi.
(Posted in case you play Trivia)
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by livcheng
thanks linda! that was very helpful. i'm just about to go on a cruise in a few weeks and the coke plan was so expensive!
Drinks are very expensive on cruises. I went on a 3-day cruise several years back. Fairly small bill, but the last night of the cruise when they post everyone's bill on their door, I went around looking at other people's bills. They were up into the $1000+ range for 3 nights! (Some of these included spa treatments... not just alcohol sales ;-) )
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Originally Posted by Blue Skye
which ships lines serve Pepsi products out of curiosity? from your post, does that mean NCL or did i misread? TIA
At this time, NCL is the only major brand serving Pepsi products. All the other big brands have Coke contracts.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by livcheng View Post
thanks linda! that was very helpful. i'm just about to go on a cruise in a few weeks and the coke plan was so expensive!

Some are, some are really not bad at all. On HAL a $50 soda card can be purchased for $25, which is good for 21 cans of soda during the cruise or about $1.20 apiece.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:50 am
Suspended

very cool article.... i havent done this but i know a few of my friends who have snuck alcohol onto the ships through shampoo and mouth wash bottles. I dn if the risk and reward are worth it but i guess thats all up to you
Old Aug 8, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I usually have no problem taking booze/beer on Disney Cruise Line.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:05 am

Bring Empty Bottles...

We purchased a soda package for our teenage son. On a recent 9 day European cruise I was very glad we brought empty bottles. We filled with ice and water for ports and left in car/bus. We did buy some drinks while touring, but the cost is high and the dollar is weak right now.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: AC*E
just got back from a 7-day med cruise, and even though i love a nice cold coke now and then, i couldn't get myself to pay that much for their coke package. for 7 days, i enjoyed their free lemonade and ice tea and yes, definitely do keep empty bottles for water refills! even through there signs all over saying they can't refill, i say many waiters filling bottles for people.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:58 am

Didn't realize water wasn't included. I sail with Seabourn and right by the gangway there is a table of water bottles for us to take with us. On the ship's excursions, there is always a cooler or two of iced sodas and water. And l liquor is included. Fortunately.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:54 pm

Seabourn is luxury line-- of course water and soda are included. And, of course, the fare is multiple times the fare of the lines mostly under discusion here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.