Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
HSBC (USA) Premier has eleven airline transfer partners, and two hotel chain partners. Cards issued in other countries may have different partners and transfer ratios

ONE WORLD
British Airways (Avios) 1:25:1
Iberia (Avios) 1:25:1
Qantas 1:1
Qatar Airways (Avios) 1.25:1

SKYTEAM
Flying Blue 1.25:1

STAR
Avianca 1.25:1
Eva Air 1.25:1
TAP Portugal 1:1
Turkish 1.25:1

INDEPENDENT
Aer Lingus (Avios) 1:25:1
Emirates 1:1

HOTELS
Accor 2:1
Wyndham 1.25:1
Print Wikipost

HSBC Premier World MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:42 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have appended this discussion to the established thread.

HSBC's presence in the USA was built by acquisition, and they have a split reputation. One card issuer they acquired was a company called Household Finance which made loans to low income borrowers at very high interest rates. That portion of HSBC's card business was subsequently sold off to Capital One.

The HSBC Premier business is different. The card is competitive: EMV chip, contactless, no foreign transaction fees, no annual fee, useful (but not spectacular) rewards program.

Applicants for HSBC Premier normally have 90 days to bring their account balance up to $100,000 or pay the $50 monthly fee. If you are (for example) finishing a degree from, or working at, Stanford it is perfectly plausible that HSBC would offer a 12 month trial period rather than three months. My belief is that if you downgraded the account from Premier to Advance you would also receive an Advance credit card, but no direct experience.

Last edited by mia; Sep 18, 2014 at 2:55 pm
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:55 pm

If you want to keep the credit card but not fulfill the $100.000 requirement, you can do what I did. When I moved to the US, I opened the premier checking account and the associated card. They didn't tell me that the $100.000 requirement waiver is only valid for 2 years, I only learned this by mistake. At that point I decided to immediately close the checking account, as I wasn't using it anyway (I moved my checking account to Alliant Credit Union in the mean time). I asked if I can keep the credit card and they said yes. Now I have a HSBC Premier credit card, with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees and I don't have to keep any money at all with HSBC. Win-win.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jjoe123
Why worst card? The HSBC premier? or all the HSBC cards? What about HSBC platinum with Fly rewards?
Originally Posted by mia
The HSBC Premier business is different. The card is competitive: EMV chip, contactless, no foreign transaction fees, no annual fee, useful (but not spectacular) rewards program.
Since I am the one saying this is one of the worst cards in the U.S., I will address this further.

What mia said basically summarizes the card. However, most of these features are not new to cards in the U.S. So it does not give you any add-on to make this card unique.

The card is used primarily for recognitions within HSBC worldwide, aka a membership card, rather than a credit card. Seriously, you will get priority assistance by showing this card in any HSBC branches.

Regardless how you qualify for HSBC Premier, this card is a limbo as it does not give you what a premium customer needs. At the least, for the cards HSBC offer are pretty much the same.

IMHO - Citi is smarter in this as Citigold does not have an associated credit card.

What cards do you recommend then?
No recommendation. What exactly do you want?

Since I'm don't have a credit history, I don't think I have too many banks that would give me a credit card with high credit. So far, I have options in HSBC, citi bank and Stanford credit union (all with credit of over 10K$)
Difficult to say. The only way to know is to actual apply one and see. If you get a denial letter, it confirms your belief. Otherwise, no.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:55 am
mia

Originally Posted by garykung
... recognitions within HSBC worldwide, aka a membership card, rather than a credit card.
Agreed. The card makes sense in the context of a banking relationship, but there is nothing about it that isn't available elsewhere. However, if you review this thread you will see that HSBC (USA) is making an effort, there are periodic points bonuses to encourage spending (but capped at silly low levels), and there was recently a bonus for transfers to British Airways.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mia
However, if you review this thread you will see that HSBC (USA) is making an effort, there are periodic points bonuses to encourage spending (but capped at silly low levels), and there was recently a bonus for transfers to British Airways.
Seriously, if HSBC is making an effort, they should start differentiating their own credit products. At the least - don't show their customers when Premier, Advance, and Platinum Cards are the same.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:30 pm

They've also been dropping the (very few) perks I've used from HSBC Premier Privileges. Seems like pretty slim pickings there these days.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:16 pm

Just in time for the holidays - 3X Rewards Program Points!

I just received this targeted email.

Enroll today and enjoy 3X Rewards Program Points1.

Dear XXX,

Your HSBC Premier World MasterCard® credit card is poised to make your holiday shopping more rewarding.

Click on the "Enroll now" button to the right to enroll and enter your promotional code. Once you're enrolled, you'll earn 3X Rewards Program Points on all of your HSBC Premier World MasterCard® credit card purchases from October 1, 2014 through December 31, 2014 - up to $2,0001.

As long as you enroll by December 15, 2014, all of your purchases during the Promotional Period will qualify.

It's easy to enroll.

Visit us.hsbc.com/holidaybonus by December 15, 2014 to enroll and enter your promotional code XXXXXXXXXX.

Earn 3X Rewards Program Points up to $2,0001 on purchases.

Enroll Now

If you have questions, please contact one of our Premier Customer Service Representatives at 855.361.3781 - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you are calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, please call us collect at 716.841.6866.

Sincerely,

HSBC Customer Experience Team

P.S. Once you qualify, your Rewards Program Promotional Points will post to your Account by February 28, 2015.

1 3X Rewards Program Points are inclusive of standard Rewards Program Points (i.e., one Rewards Program Point and two promotional Rewards Program Points). Receive 3X Rewards Program Points when you make new, net retail purchases using your HSBC Premier World MasterCard® credit card from 10/01/14 through 12/31/14 ("Promotional Period"). Your promotional code must be correctly entered on the enrollment site to be considered fully enrolled. After enrolling and making $2,000 in new, net retail purchases during the Promotional Period, you will earn one Rewards Program Point per dollar spent. The enrollment period will run from 09/29/14 through 12/15/14. Transactions during the Promotional Period (10/01/14 through 12/31/14) will be eligible for the promotional offer upon enrollment. The 3X Rewards Program Points offer does not apply to balance transfers, credit card checks, cash advances or overdrafts. Promotional Points will be fulfilled by 02/28/15. Your HSBC Premier World MasterCard® credit card must be open, and in good standing, at the time of Rewards Program Points fulfillment to qualify.

Last edited by blaz; Sep 29, 2014 at 4:32 pm
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:26 pm
mia

Originally Posted by blaz
....up to $2,000...
Ms mia also received this offer, and I do not understand why HSBC again capped an offer at this low level.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by mia
Ms mia also received this offer, and I do not understand why HSBC again capped an offer at this low level.
At least you guys are getting the offers. I never get any offers via email
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
...I do not understand why HSBC again capped an offer at this low level.
Personally, like Wells Fargo, the long gone partner, I have no hope and expectation with HSBC products...
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:47 pm
mia

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
At least you guys are getting the offers. I never get any offers via email
I mentioned to our relationship manager that we "would respond" to credit card bonus offers based on spending, and they started to appear. Could be coincidence, but I suspect not.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:32 am
mia

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
...Looks like Chip+Sig is priority,...
Nice that it has contact less EMV also.
I can confirm that the card functions as Chip & Signature at staffed POS in the UK. Tried transactions at three different merchants. One was nervous, and asked to see my identification because my card required a signature, rather than a PIN.

The contactless feature works fine with London Underground and at a coffee chain. In a few days I may be able to see if the Underground billing was accurate.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by mia
I mentioned to our relationship manager that we "would respond" to credit card bonus offers based on spending, and they started to appear. Could be coincidence, but I suspect not.
The previous bonuses were better as the last spending bonus I got was 10k miles for $9,000 in one month...
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:33 pm

One of the good usages of HSBC Premier points is to offset airline ticket, e.g. 25k points to offset $400 any airline ticket. This means 1.6 rate.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by mia
When you say "relationship manager" do you mean the one in the branch where you opened your Premier Acct? I would assume he would differ from the cc folks, but if that's what you meant, I'll def reach out to my relationship manager. I did call the cc CS people and tell them I'd like offers - but they said there was nothing they could do - offers were sent on a case by case basis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.