Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Platinum Card - Just Closed - No Reason Given

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

Was hoping to get some insight or thoughts on this situation that just happened to me. I have had the Citi Aadvantage Platinum card since 2011 with a $15,000 limit. Never spent more than $2500/month and always paid in full at statement due date. Today my card was cancelled with no heads up or warning and my account is closed. I called in the and CSR gave me no info so I escalated the call and was told I would have to write "The Office of the President". She unfortunately had no further info. Does anyone know what this means or what could have caused this so randomly?

Yes last year I did take part in the 100,000 mile citi executive extravoganza and got about 5 cards. Last card being in June 2014. Do we think something may have triggered and the app-o-rama was the knife in the coffin.

Additionally is there any threat to Citi being able to claw back any of my miles at AA?

Any advice on what steps I should take to finding out more information or obtaining a resolution?

Thank you kindly,
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sup3r52man
Any advice on what steps I should take to finding out more information or obtaining a resolution?
Personally I would not be looking for information or resolution at all. It's time to give Citi a rest for 18 months, starting from June 2014.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
On the Executive cards, did you get the bonus and close before paying the first year AF?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I transferred your question from the general Credit Card Programs forum to the Citi forum.

Do you now have any other Citi cards open?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Personally I would not be looking for information or resolution at all. It's time to give Citi a rest for 18 months, starting from June 2014.
What's 18 months got to do with it? If you take the time to read the post, the OP is asking about the card he/she has had continuously since 2011. No application was declined because of the 18-month rule or any other reason; the existing card was canceled. Information and resolution is essential, in fact I believe Citi is legally required to give a reason for this.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
What's 18 months got to do with it? If you take the time to read the post, the OP is asking about the card he/she has had continuously since 2011. No application was declined because of the 18-month rule or any other reason; the existing card was canceled. Information and resolution is essential, in fact I believe Citi is legally required to give a reason for this.
Yes, I'm aware of this, and would still not care. The information would not affect my future plans or Citi's decisions (which was likely irrational to begin with). And where did you find a law that requires Citi to disclose their decision process to you?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
You should get a letter from Citi explaining why it was closed. All anyone here can do is speculate.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukerau
On the Executive cards, did you get the bonus and close before paying the first year AF?
Yes I did close the cards after getting the bonus and the AFs were refunded.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Yes I did close the cards after getting the bonus and the AFs were refunded.
That may be the reason they closed your account.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
That may be the reason they closed your account.
That would be news to me and to a lot of other people who are canceling exec card after exec card without paying the fee and easily getting approved for new ones.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
That would be news to me and to a lot of other people who are canceling exec card after exec card without paying the fee and easily getting approved for new ones.
I know. It just seems so strange that the reason is such a secret even to the CSR you spoke with.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by eajusa
I know. It just seems so strange that the reason is such a secret even to the CSR you spoke with.
Nothing here that is not standard shut down procedure. Frontline CS will know nothing beyond that you were closed. You will get a letter from Citi, likely with some vague, unhelpful reason for closure. If you'd like to appeal, feel free to send the letter to the executive office as suggested. Don't get your hopes up unless this really is some screw-up. If you have other Citi cards, there is a good chance these will be closed as well, so prepare.

And if Citi is shutting down people for the 100k/AF refund trick, a lot of us will be hurtin'.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ctbarron
If you'd like to appeal, feel free to send the letter to the executive office as suggested.
Any advice/suggestions/or form type letter to write and send for appeal with barely any information as to why at this point?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any advice/suggestions/or form type letter to write and send for appeal with barely any information as to why at this point?
Have you gotten the letter yet? If so, what did it say exactly? If not, it's too early to appeal!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Have you gotten the letter yet? If so, what did it say exactly? If not, it's too early to appeal!
No letter yet, I am hoping it arrives today. I will post it once it does show up. Thank you all for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.