Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Platinum Card - Just Closed - No Reason Given

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2015, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Only a guess, but perhaps the dispute was not investigated as a duplicate. The merchant produced evidence that you authorized "a" charge, and no one looked to see that two transactions had been processed. Were the transactions for the identical amount at nearly the same date and time?
Yes they were for the same amount less than 1 minute apart.
Old May 3, 2015, 4:43 pm

Unless you resolve this with their high office, you will most likely be declined for future citi apps citing previous unsatisfactory relationship. Go get them!

MY advice is next time whenever you see a duplicate charge, wait sometime even few weeks to see if it falls off. Once it posts as purchase after pending, than CALL first.

There have been times where it stayed for a month.

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; May 3, 2015 at 6:07 pm
Old May 3, 2015, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

No to beat a dead horse here. But if Citi did get different information or see something they didnt like about the dispute 1.) wouldnt they ask for additional information or reopen the dispute case? And 2.) since they gave the credit and approved the dispute is it really their go to move to just close the account like this and give the consumer no chance at explaining or keeping the account? I am missing something major here in how they handle things.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Sup3r52man
No to beat a dead horse here. But if Citi did get different information or see something they didnt like about the dispute 1.) wouldnt they ask for additional information or reopen the dispute case? And 2.) since they gave the credit and approved the dispute is it really their go to move to just close the account like this and give the consumer no chance at explaining or keeping the account? I am missing something major here in how they handle things.
#2 is correct.
And they'll never honestly tell you why you're not a desirable customer to them, regardless whom you write at the bank.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:57 am

apparently you arent superman afterall.

other folks may have a diff strategy but for something as simple as a clear dupe charge - I'd have just called into CS and talked to someone to take care of reversing/cancelling it on their end. since most likely it still woulda been in temp auth zone. instead of filling an official "dispute charge" which only burns bridges in a sense.

it's pretty clear that whoevers desk your case landed on, didnt pay much attention and while they did do a perma credit, they went ahead and flagged your account for fraud/abuse. as petty as that may sound over ~$35, I guess it's bad luck.

unless you have a repetitive history of filing chargebacks with Citi, in which case this may just have been the final straw that broke the camels back.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, I suggest you call Citi and ask about the dispute, find out if they understood you submitted it only because it was a duplicate. The only way I see of getting the "black mark" off of you at Citi is to get this misunderstanding about the original dispute cleared up.

Don't worry about the letter, or the closure of the account, until you and they understand the dispute the same way. (Apparently, at this point, you and they seem to understand the dispute quite differently.)
Old May 5, 2015, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Again, I suggest you call Citi and ask about the dispute, find out if they understood you submitted it only because it was a duplicate. The only way I see of getting the "black mark" off of you at Citi is to get this misunderstanding about the original dispute cleared up.

Don't worry about the letter, or the closure of the account, until you and they understand the dispute the same way. (Apparently, at this point, you and they seem to understand the dispute quite differently.)
Tried that, talked to 6 different CSRs, 4 of their bosses and 2 supposed supervisors at a higher level. All express that they can not see nor able to discuss anything regarding my closed account or the dispute. They all urge me the best thing to do is write a letter to the Office of The President and wish me the best of luck. Fml
Old May 5, 2015, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Again, I suggest you call Citi and ask about the dispute
No agent is ever going to discuss an accusation of fraud over the phone.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
Tried that, talked to 6 different CSRs, 4 of their bosses and 2 supposed supervisors at a higher level. All express that they can not see nor able to discuss anything regarding my closed account or the dispute. They all urge me the best thing to do is write a letter to the Office of The President and wish me the best of luck. Fml
Did you call the executive response team?

605-331-1698 - They open at 9AM CST
Old May 6, 2015, 8:32 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Please do go ahead and write that letter, and see what Citi's response is. My own experience with Citi is that writing gets far better results than just calling-- the letter will hopefully make its way to someone at the executive office, whereas speaking to CSRs and even supervisors does not get you past the call center.

I can certainly understand how frustrating it must be to have your card closed in this way, but I don't think there is anything further anyone from FT can do in the way of assistance until you write that letter and receive a written response from Citi.
Old May 6, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
It's been nine days since original post. I certainly hope you have written that letter.
Old May 10, 2015, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eajusa
It's been nine days since original post. I certainly hope you have written that letter.
Yes I wrote and mailed two letters the day I found out it was closed. I mailed one to the address they provided me and one directly to the president of citi cards himself. I have yet to recieve a reponse and there is no update to any notations on my account to give me any additional information regardless of whom or what number I call. They all just tell me to write a letter. I also opened a case with the BBB who was able to get a reponse from citi which said "have the customer call us directly" and they supplied the default citicards number which they can not help me. Its a circle of confusion with no chance of resolution. Side note I keep getting promotions from citi in my mail and email account and useless blank checks for balance transfers, thanks citi for that. And I also got a letter for the dispute that started this all saying "Great news your credit is now permanent for your dispute". Great indeed. Sigh
Old May 10, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All

It is quite possible that the dispute was enough to cause a human to look into your account and see the unrelated multiple Exec bonuses and refunded fees and deem you a non profitable customer. Just because others have not been shut down is meaningless. The person doing the review could have been the big boss covering a vacation or new employee trying to get brownie points. Computers only find what they are programmed to find and apparently bonus abuse is not one of those things. Humans poking around your records is completely unpredictable.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
That would be news to me and to a lot of other people who are canceling exec card after exec card without paying the fee and easily getting approved for new ones.
So soon we forget about the culling by Citi a mere 2 years ago?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...disclosed.html

Not to bore you with details, but, it wasn't just manufacturers in general and TY Preferred users in particular that were nuked, many habitual 'bonus abusers' were as well (with nary a manufacturing done, let alone even having said TY Preferred card).

Agreed, its ridiculous that every number that I call with citi and after speaking to supervisors can tell me anything other than "it says to write a letter". I tell them I received a letter and it stated closed due to a dispute who can I talk to and resolve this or at least get a better explanation? Is there a number to the highest office? Seems pretty absurd that only communication on this can be done through the mail. Its like they did it and don't want to answer or explain why.

Lets try a link to the letter instead of the image:
http://ppl.ug/SgYTJ8ALimI/
Well, OP, I can say that your letter was a little more specific than the ones we were getting 2 years ago:

Originally Posted by Sitibank Security Services

Dear thehawk75:

This letter is regarding your Citi account.

Your account has been closed to prevent further use. If you or any other authorized user(s) still have a card, please cut it in half and return it to us.

This action is taken because of a security investigation involving your account.

You will continue to receive a monthly billing statement until your balance is paid in full.

We now consider this investigation closed.

Sincerely,

Your Security Operations Service Team
At any rate, I agree with what others have posted, if indeed you did file a legitimate dispute, then sending the letter to the Office of the President proving this is the best course of action.
Old May 11, 2015, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thehawk75
So soon we forget about the culling by Citi a mere 2 years ago?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...disclosed.html

Not to bore you with details, but, it wasn't just manufacturers in general and TY Preferred users in particular that were nuked, many habitual 'bonus abusers' were as well (with nary a manufacturing done, let alone even having said TY Preferred card).

Well, OP, I can say that your letter was a little more specific than the ones we were getting 2 years ago:
Two years later do we know if anyone who had their account closed by Citi has been able to successfully open another citi card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.