Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by PDXoriginal
And now I am going through the same thing with my Gold card, asked them for the contactless version, they keep sending me the old C&S card.
Gold card isn't available wih contactless in the US. This page has the list of cards that offer it: http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...ntactless.html
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by PDXoriginal
Blows my mind how horrible American Express is rolling out contactless.

A few months back I swapped my Everyday card over, it took 6 tries before I actually got the right card, they kept sending me the same old C&S card until I finally talked to a supervisor.

And now I am going through the same thing with my Gold card, asked them for the contactless version, they keep sending me the old C&S card.
No Amex Gold card has contactless.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AllieKat
No Amex Gold card has contactless.
I find it bizarre. In the UK, the Platinum and the Gold were the only cards with contactless for ages.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by jbarm
Interesting that TriMet in Portland didn't work with your Visa. They are rolling out a new fare system that should accept all Visa, MC and Amex contactless cards -- similar to the TFL system in London.
Back to TriMet, if anyone's wondering, some MasterCards don't play nice either. Tapping my Barclaycard Ring to try and buy a TriMet ticket went nowhere. Barclaycard customer service said they saw the requests but the CVV was wrong, or some such (no idea how much the front-line customer service people actually know about that kind of thing).
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
I find it bizarre. In the UK, the Platinum and the Gold were the only cards with contactless for ages.
Amex US seems to be focussed on offering contactless on their lower-end cards, the only charge card with contactless is Zync.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:08 pm

Well it seems Jersey Mike's Subs also supports Contactless where they have Ingenico ISC250 terminals, as the first nfc indicator does light up and it works. But I went to a different Big Lots and the nfc was finally turned off. Also I saw one MX915 at Wal-Mart https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...327152009a.jpg
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by scibot
Well it seems Jersey Mike's Subs also supports Contactless where they have Ingenico ISC250 terminals, as the first nfc indicator does light up and it works. But I went to a different Big Lots and the nfc was finally turned off. Also I saw one MX915 at Wal-Mart https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...327152009a.jpg
I went to one this afternoon.

On my iPhone, it showed done but on their terminal, it wouldn't work.

I tried the EMV slot too and that didn't work. Finally I had to swipe it.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:29 pm

The overall trend at merchants is toward supporting contactless, and I think that there will be little further pushback. I'm somewhat shocked Big Lots disabled it, but it is what it is. I've heard rumours ULTA might re-enable theirs at some point.

Jersey Mike's is "coming soon" for Apple Pay, so expect it to work there sooner than later if it still doesn't. Marriott got added to the list, etc.

Now, is contactless ever going to take off in the US like it has in other countries? I doubt it. But I do expect the trend to be toward more and more contactless support over time. Likewise, EMV in the US. There are a LOT of merchants with brand new hardware and expect a flood of EMV enablements between June and September (right after I am probably leaving the US, ironically enough).
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
I went to one this afternoon.

On my iPhone, it showed done but on their terminal, it wouldn't work.

I tried the EMV slot too and that didn't work. Finally I had to swipe it.
Jersey Mike's correct and was it a Mastercard? I know Google Wallet works there now, but I'm sure it has the same issue as Home Depot had before they turned off Paypass completely, Apple Pay Mastercard does not work, but Google Wallet Mastercard does work. Visa and Amex Apple Pay should also work there with no issues.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:03 pm

Jersey Mike's correct and was it a Mastercard? I know Google Wallet works there now, but I'm sure it has the same issue as Home Depot had before they turned off Paypass completely, Apple Pay Mastercard does not work, but Google Wallet Mastercard does work. Visa and Amex Apple Pay should also work there with no issues.
Home Depot turned off PayPass? Really? I used contactless there just two weeks ago no problem. Granted, it was Amex, not PayPass.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Card use in general at Jersey Mike's is a hassle. They make you answer a few prompts on the terminal (whether to tip/how much and I think one other one) before you can swipe/tap. I remember contactless being disabled last time I was there but maybe it's time to try again.

Now, is contactless ever going to take off in the US like it has in other countries? I doubt it. But I do expect the trend to be toward more and more contactless support over time. Likewise, EMV in the US. There are a LOT of merchants with brand new hardware and expect a flood of EMV enablements between June and September (right after I am probably leaving the US, ironically enough).
Knowing the US banking industry they'll push Apple Pay as hard as possible for a few years, realize that no one wants to use their phones to pay and then give up, claiming that Americans don't want contactless altogether (heck, there's already articles claiming that "only 6% of iPhone owners use Apple Pay" six months after its introduction). Never mind that contactless on cards actually might have a chance since it's easier than using a phone.

I was there about a week ago. I didn't use contactless though because the US Airways card is my current primary card while the 50% bonus is going on and MasterCard contactless has known issues there, but it did prompt to swipe or tap.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:44 am

Diners Club MC PayPass, even though it is only MSD contactless, worked at a Morrison's self-checkout here in the UK. Obviously it won't work in TfL, but it seems to me like most terminals here in the UK support MSD contactless as well. When the receipt prints, it shows entry as "swiped", but I believe this is to be expected. Really wish that when BMO re-relaunches the Diners Club (yes it will happen at some point I'm 99.9999% sure) that they switch to EMV contactless, but if you look at BMO's Canadian cards, it doesn't look like those are EMV contactless.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by uklevi
Diners Club MC PayPass, even though it is only MSD contactless, worked at a Morrison's self-checkout here in the UK. Obviously it won't work in TfL, but it seems to me like most terminals here in the UK support MSD contactless as well. When the receipt prints, it shows entry as "swiped", but I believe this is to be expected. Really wish that when BMO re-relaunches the Diners Club (yes it will happen at some point I'm 99.9999% sure) that they switch to EMV contactless, but if you look at BMO's Canadian cards, it doesn't look like those are EMV contactless.
Mastercard does not require dual-interface cards to support PayPass M/CHIP, calling it only "best practice". TfL's site had me believing no American, Canadian or Dutch Mastercard supported PayPass M/PASS. However, people say the HSBC card works so I'm really glad I applied.

No "swiped" isn't really to be expected. It happens, commonly, but shouldn't - entry method should be "contactless".
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:19 am

Mastercard does not require dual-interface cards to support PayPass M/CHIP, calling it only "best practice". TfL's site had me believing no American, Canadian or Dutch Mastercard supported PayPass M/CHIP.
PayPass M/CHIP doesn't strictly mean the support of ODA by a card.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Mastercard does not require dual-interface cards to support PayPass M/CHIP, calling it only "best practice". TfL's site had me believing no American, Canadian or Dutch Mastercard supported PayPass M/PASS. However, people say the HSBC card works so I'm really glad I applied.

No "swiped" isn't really to be expected. It happens, commonly, but shouldn't - entry method should be "contactless".
I've seen that a couple of times when using a US contactless card in the UK in the past.

McDonalds says entry contactless but next to the card number it says - Magnetic Stripe data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.