Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by reclusive46
FD terminals also seem to freak out at Amex Apple Pay cards from the UK (And I'm assuming Canadian and Australia Apple pay amex cards are EMV as as well). They ask for a PIN, then it comes up with a "PIN error", then it asks for a signature.
US ones are EMV too and don't work well at Walgreens either!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Unless something changed recently I'm pretty sure Apple Pay reports US issued AmEx cards as MSD only.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
My US Amex on Apple Pay works at Walgreens without issue but is MSD only. My Amex Contactless card also works at Walgreens without issue but processes as EMV.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by D582
My US Amex on Apple Pay works at Walgreens without issue but is MSD only. My Amex Contactless card also works at Walgreens without issue but processes as EMV.
My UK Amex Apple Pay card has worked fine at Walgreens since they supported EMV contactless (When it was MSD only, it would decline).
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I deleted and re-added my US AmEx to Apple Pay and according to the EMV contactless specs it's going to be run as MSD based on the stuff cardpeek returns. The CDCVM related data elements are there though, just not reflected in the CVM list as the specs indicate that they should. I'll check again the next time Apple releases a new version of iOS.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:37 pm

Here are pictures from my local Dairy Queen, they got brand new Verifone MX915's but still swiping on the intergrated msr only atm. Wait no the register i went to the one not pictured had the MX915 too but it was not working yet, was disconnected or something.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._180509283.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._180513452.jpg
Same pos touch screens as Best Buy uses as well. Many DQ's have FD equipment so this surprises me, although this location was not included in the data breach so they kept their intergrated system, but it sure looks like Apple and Android Pay will be coming to my DQ quite soon!

Last edited by scibot; Nov 25, 2015 at 5:43 pm
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
Here are pictures from my local Dairy Queen, they got brand new Verifone MX915's but still swiping on the intergrated msr only atm. Wait no the register i went to the one not pictured had the MX915 too but it was not working yet, was disconnected or something.
Same pos touch screens as Best Buy uses as well. Many DQ's have FD equipment so this surprises me, although this location was not included in the data breach so they kept their intergrated system, but it sure looks like Apple and Android Pay will be coming to my DQ quite soon!
Oh man I hope mine gets it eventually.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
My local DQ has the Voodoo terminals with a huge Apple Pay stickers on them.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
DQ Corp just lets them do whatever they want to it seems? I looked at that picture again and the Toshiba looks like the new pos system and its not working quite yet. Arby's is the same way, old cash register plus a new FD 130 that accepts Contactless payments and I'm pretty sure EMV chip cards. While other Arby's use a different system I believe, but I will need to visit a different location to see for sure. P.S they finally updated the contactless locator, damn...

Last edited by scibot; Nov 25, 2015 at 9:52 pm
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
Do you mean DeJaVoo terminals? Since they have huge Apple Pay stickers on them, is Apple Pay a problem here or it works just fine?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:07 am

Do you mean DeJaVoo terminals? Since they have huge Apple Pay stickers on them, is Apple Pay a problem here or it works just fine?
Ha! Yes, that's the one I was thinking of. It works great as EMV contactless even!
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:12 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tmiw
I deleted and re-added my US AmEx to Apple Pay and according to the EMV contactless specs it's going to be run as MSD based on the stuff cardpeek returns. The CDCVM related data elements are there though, just not reflected in the CVM list as the specs indicate that they should. I'll check again the next time Apple releases a new version of iOS.
The UK Apple Pay cards use EMV Amex, so it seems like something Amex has done intentionally in the US.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by reclusive46
The UK Apple Pay cards use EMV Amex, so it seems like something Amex has done intentionally in the US.
Probably because of the number of Equinox/Hypercom terminals out there that don't support Amex EMV cards unless they have EMV enabled on the terminal.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tried using the NFC reader at an Arco pump today. Apple Watch said it went through, all four lights on the reader lit up...but the pump didn't acknowledge the tap. Weird that the reader was actually active when it's apparently not hooked into the rest of the system.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Tried using the NFC reader at an Arco pump today. Apple Watch said it went through, all four lights on the reader lit up...but the pump didn't acknowledge the tap. Weird that the reader was actually active when it's apparently not hooked into the rest of the system.
What city was this in? I have yet to see an Arco or Chevron with an NFC reader at the pump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.