Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
This thread is a continuation of the discussion posted here from 12.08.2012 - 5.13.2014: Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.05%/2.1% travel credits)

Current offer for Arrival Plus is 70K pts w/$5K spend & AF waived 1st year.

Barclays says that you earn “miles” but you’re actually earning cash back with the card since you can’t transfer your Barclays miles to airlines. But you can redeem them for statement credits at 0.5 cents per mile (poor value) or 1.05 cent per mile if you redeem for travel.

You get 5% of your miles back if you redeem for travel, so 40,000 miles gets you $400 towards travel and 2,000 miles back (5% of your miles back). You must have at least 10K 'miles' in your acct if you wish to redeem as a travel credit. 2500 'miles' can be redeemed for a stmt credit though.

If you want, you can redeem miles to cover a portion of a travel charge instead of the full amount. For example, if you have 80k miles and a $740 airline charge, you can choose to redeem just 70k to cover $700 of the charge.

You earn 2X miles on all purchases, so you’re effectively getting 2% cash back for each purchase. But since you get 5% of your miles back when you redeem for travel, this is effectively a 2.1% cash back card when miles are redeemed for travel.

This makes the Barclaycard Arrival PlusTM World Elite MasterCard® (with 2.1% cash back for travel) better than the Capital One Venture card which offers only 2 miles per $1 or 2% cash back, only if you spend $30k+ per year after first year, because Arrival Plus AF is $30 more than Venture.

If you receive a call from 302-255-8000 after applying for this or any other Barclay's card, it is a legit number! You can also call them back directly at 866-951-1437.

Very Old Wiki Info ---
Regarding official company representatives
Note that there is an official procedure for company representatives to register themselves with the FlyerTalk Community Director and verify their credentials. When that process is completed, the username will turn green in posts, rather than the standard blue.

Anyone who does not appear in green has not followed this procedure. Those posts should be considered the same as any other user's posts. It is important to remember that the moderation team does not generally monitor the veracity of any posts; it is up to you to judge a poster's content and history yourself.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

="3"%Successful
Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $100 charge for 10K mile redemption
  • 9/11 Museum and Memorial - NYC
  • Accuracy Limo (via Square, Salt Lake City, UT limo service)
  • ACE Adventures (West Virginia White Water Rafting), had to call in to get it processed manually
  • agoda.com
  • AirAsia Flights (airasia.com)
  • airbnb bookings
  • airbnb GC purchased on United MPX site
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Amazing Bike Tours Thailand
  • AA Gift Card
  • American Airlines telephone booking (including booking fee)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Arrival+ Annual Fee
  • Argosy Cruises (SEA, classified as RECREATION)
  • Autoeurope.com
  • BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) San Francisco
  • Balloons over Bagan
  • Bieber bus tickets
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • Burj Khalifa observation decks
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Carmel Limo (NYC car service)
  • carrentals.com
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Chinese Visa Application Fees (had to call in. Credit showed up in account in 2 business days. See Post 912 and 921 for details)
  • City Taxi (Tampa)
  • CostcoTravel
  • Cotai Waterjet (Hong Kong)
  • CT Limo
  • Daily Getaways purchase of HHonors points
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Disneyland Hong Kong (Manual redemption required)
  • DriveNow - all locations in EU/US
  • Dublin Bus Tours Hop on, Hop off (Green)
  • Eiffel Tower (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • Enterprise rent-a-car, paid at the counter when returning the car (used Chase United Visa initially for primary coverage, but asked to pay with a different card when returning the car)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • Europcar.com
  • Expedia.com
  • Hertz Rent-a-Car (booked on hertz.com)
  • Hong Kong Airport Express Pass
  • Hotel bookings through Rocketmiles (even refundable bookings or those tied to other promotions)
  • Hotels.com
  • Hotwire
  • ItaliaRail (online booking agency for TrenItalia)
  • LA Swamp Tours, Steamboat cruise, Haunted History Tours (New Orleans)
  • Lahaina-Maui Ferry Tickets - booked online at www.go-lanai.com
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
    Las Vegas show tickets booked online (Mandalay Bay Box office)
  • Limo Charges - Two limo charges that I made in March PRIOR the the recent changes to what qualifies as "Travel" showed up as eligible travel charges. I guess with the changes to what's covered, and for how long, these got pulled back in.
  • Lyft
  • M-Life advance reservation deposit
  • Montway Auto Transport (deposit)
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • New York Waterways Ferry (between NJ and NYC)
  • Ngong Ping 360 (Hong Kong)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • Norwegian Cruise Line (deposits and payments)
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • NYC Taxi
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • ORCA card for Seattle area tolls (considered the very typical GOVERNMENT SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Paris RATP Metro/VATP (buy 10-ticket pack for >$25 and save cost)
  • PeruRail (Machu Picchu train)
  • PMRF Beach Cottages (Kauai)
  • Priceline
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • rail europe on Travelocity
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Safari Helicopter Tour (Kauai)
  • Sandals.com resort booking (unique vacations) was not redeemable last year. Is redeemable online now
  • SEASTREAK LLC - NYC (Commuter Ferri)
  • Singapore Cable Car
  • Southwest $100 gift card
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • Spirit of NY Dinner Cruises - www.spiritcruises.com, which have cruises in several other cities as well.
  • Starwood Vacation Ownership (SPG Timeshare) Westin Princeville Kauai (coded as Timeshare).
  • St Pauls Cathedral (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE), Worked in Cancun.
  • Taxi in Zürich
  • Top of the Rock tickets - NYC
  • Trenitalia Online
  • Trimet (Portland OR public transportation)
  • Trip Advisor Rental
  • TurboJET (Hong Kong)
  • Uber
  • Uber GC through MPX $100 (re-confirmed 11/1/2018, using Arrival Premier)
  • United Baggage Fee
  • Universal Studio Orlando tickets (had to call in)
  • Viator (sightseeing/tours)
  • Victoria Clipper (passenger ferry)
  • Wedding at the Stratosphere's Chapel in the Clouds (billed as stratosphere)
  • Windsor Castle (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Wine purchases from different wine tasting rooms
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) - [[COLOR="Red"]reconfirmed 10/5/15]
  • Zipcar

="3"%Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 $100 cannot be reimbursed)
    Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Broadmoor Hotel Food and Beverage (Colorado Spring, CO)
  • budgetair.co.uk (charged >$200)
  • Car2go
  • De Palm Tours, Aruba (classified as Recreation. Called Barclay twice.)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Evan Evans Sightseeing tours (UK based)- http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk
  • Fastrak tag autoload for San Francisco bridge tolls ($25)
  • Global Entry
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Homeaway.com, posts as real estate. Barclays said they'd make a one-time exception but future purchases won't count as travel.
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Hotels.com Gift Card
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • Malaysian Overnight Train KUL-SIN (ktmb.com.my)
  • Monterey Aquarium
  • Parking at DCA - $136 (7/9/19)
  • Parking at HSV ($96 in parking at Huntsville International Airport)
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at LAS
  • Parking at LGA $204
  • Parking at Port Imperial, Weehawken, NJ
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Space Needle and Chihuly Garden Tickets
  • Starwood points purchase (BUSINESS SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Taxi Magic /Curb- Taxi service
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • UBER eGift Card (bought through the UBER app) for $100 - Not coded as "travel," so couldn't redeem online and they wouldn't do it over the phone, either.

Airlines that post purchases of multiple tickets as one amount or split them:

One Amount
BA (USD based award ticket)

Multiple Transactions
UA (award)
DL (award)

Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:09 pm

I see that there is a list for "obscure" travel expenditures on the front page?

With many peoples annual fee coming due I am wondering what last minute gift cards are working. I just did a Hyatt $25 GC and a Hilton $25 GC. It looks as though the temporary transaction on the Hilton is coming up "Amex gift card" for the Hilton transaction so It probably will not go thru. The Hyatt is coming up "Hyatt certificate sell" so this looks to possibly work. Does anyone know any gift cards that are definitely working?

Thanks
Old Feb 5, 2015, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uds0
I recall posts prior to 2015 that stated exact amounts were redeemed, thus my conclusion. Perhaps my recollection was incorrect - I'll have to dig a bit to provide concrete evidence. Here is an example from early 2014:

http://www.milevalue.com/how-to-rede...arrival-miles/

I have to admit that I was focused on the redemption amount not being an even increment of 2,500 when the points available total exceeded the transaction amount and frankly didn't notice the round up of 90 points (100 for the 10 cents) because it was off by exact one 0. So, I stand corrected that the little round up "error" has been corrected, although I'm not convinced of exactly when this happened. As far as extra programming, another possibility is a simple subtle coding error perhaps caused by using integer math or intermediate integer storage. This kind of subtle "drift" happens all the time in spreadsheets and many other places.

Please reveal the language in the points usage on Barclay's site that states that they will not allow use of all the points you have if your point balance is less than the qualifying transaction amount please since you seem to have found it and I didn't.
We are in Feb 2015. As several of us have found out that NOW we can redeem the EXACT amount without losing points since late January - that is WHAT MATTERS to us the customers.

Who cares something written by a blogger in early 2014?!

And who cares what the language said when all that MATTERS is how system works? You can spend your time to dig up totally outdated blog pieces like you have done in the past (that was very misleading because things had changed long since). Others would just go by what is CURRENT, and how the system works NOW.

I know you are the one who always want to find the exact language in a non black and while world that has many shades of gray when it comes to T&Cs and the actual implementation and enforcement. Which so far AFAIK, does not serve you any good or gives you any comfort on just about any subject you keep drilling on - from the exchange rate to the Visa 1% fee and the downgrade / new card bonuses, the list goes on and on and you have been on the wrong side of the fact almost all the time... though at least you had the sense to finally apply a regular A card versus a downgrade so you would not lose out the 20K bonus that virtually everyone told you you would not get should you do the downgrade...
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: Delta + United Airmiles
Originally Posted by Happy
We are in Feb 2015. As several of us have found out that NOW we can redeem the EXACT amount without losing points since late January - that is WHAT MATTERS to us the customers.

Who cares something written by a blogger in early 2014?!

And who cares what the language said when all that MATTERS is how system works? You can spend your time to dig up totally outdated blog pieces like you have done in the past (that was very misleading because things had changed long since). Others would just go by what is CURRENT, and how the system works NOW.

I know you are the one who always want to find the exact language in a non black and while world that has many shades of gray when it comes to T&Cs and the actual implementation and enforcement. Which so far AFAIK, does not serve you any good or gives you any comfort on just about any subject you keep drilling on - from the exchange rate to the Visa 1% fee and the downgrade / new card bonuses, the list goes on and on and you have been on the wrong side of the fact almost all the time... though at least you had the sense to finally apply a regular A card versus a downgrade so you would not lose out the 20K bonus that virtually everyone told you you would not get should you do the downgrade...
Sorry you can't simply answer a simple question, and glad you have so much fun poking at me over and over. A lot of entertainment.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by ed765
You seem to be saying that something refundable could be bought, then used to utilize the travel credit, and then refunded, all without adverse action (other than reversing any points earned on the initial purchase)?
That has been my experience with redemption for the occasional cancelled hotel booking, some award-ticket fees (I'm able to cancel as frequently as I please being a DL Diamond) - and notably a "hold" amount of $150 for a rental car that was refunded within a few days, but then was still available on the redeem-list. I happen to notice this by sheer coincidence, since I never pay much attention to the redeem-list anyway and don't compare the charges with the redeem-list, just too much hassle.
Sufficient charges + miles in the account ? ... redeem and repeat and have fun watching the charges fall of the list.
I often make hotel bookings through third parties on the RewardsBoost shopping platform, sometimes with an immediate charge but still cancellable and occasionally need to cancel within the allowed period. A refund will be issued and will show, but the original charge of months before will still be showing on the redeem-list.
In the same way I have also forgone unused, non-refundable airline-tickets (auch !) and didn't have to feel the pain so bad, because they could be redeemed.
However, I would never book anything travel-related with the intent to get a "redeemable" charge that's left after cancellation - in my book that would be considered unethical and besides, my travel-related charges are already way too many to get redeemed continuously.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry you can't simply answer a simple question, and glad you have so much fun poking at me over and over. A lot of entertainment.
What is the point to find something that is totally meaningless to me for all practical purpose?

Yes, it is amusing how some always find something from many moons ago, especially from the blogs, to "support" some theory or analysis that have no value. On top of that wrong information should be pointed out.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by onN14putt
I see that there is a list for "obscure" travel expenditures on the front page?

With many peoples annual fee coming due I am wondering what last minute gift cards are working. I just did a Hyatt $25 GC and a Hilton $25 GC. It looks as though the temporary transaction on the Hilton is coming up "Amex gift card" for the Hilton transaction so It probably will not go thru. The Hyatt is coming up "Hyatt certificate sell" so this looks to possibly work. Does anyone know any gift cards that are definitely working?

Thanks
I would suggest buying the GCs directly from the hotel. I did the Hyatt Place Amex Offer last month and one of the things that was mentioned on boards was that it can't be bought online. However buying it at the reservation desk works the same as if you were paying for your hotel room.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I recall posts prior to 2015 that stated exact amounts were redeemed, thus my conclusion. Perhaps my recollection was incorrect - I'll have to dig a bit to provide concrete evidence. Here is an example from early 2014:

http://www.milevalue.com/how-to-rede...arrival-miles/

I have to admit that I was focused on the redemption amount not being an even increment of 2,500 when the points available total exceeded the transaction amount and frankly didn't notice the round up of 90 points (100 for the 10 cents) because it was off by exact one 0. So, I stand corrected that the little round up "error" has been corrected, although I'm not convinced of exactly when this happened. As far as extra programming, another possibility is a simple subtle coding error perhaps caused by using integer math or intermediate integer storage. This kind of subtle "drift" happens all the time in spreadsheets and many other places.

Please reveal the language in the points usage on Barclay's site that states that they will not allow use of all the points you have if your point balance is less than the qualifying transaction amount please since you seem to have found it and I didn't.
I'm not sure that it was in writing anywhere (maybe) but I'm sure she is speaking from personal experience.

Beforehand the process was that you could either
a) Redeem in $25 increments (2500)
b) Redeem for the exact amount of it's an even dollar amount, e.g. $47.00 could be redeemed for 4700 pts.
c) Redeem for the nearest dollar amount GREATER than your purchase, e.g. $47.01 would have to be redeemed for 4800 pts.

Thus if you have less in points than the purchase amount, e.g. purchase is $190 but you have 18000 pts, then there is no way that you can use categories b or c. Simple logic.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta + United Airmiles
Originally Posted by cdancer20
I'm not sure that it was in writing anywhere (maybe) but I'm sure she is speaking from personal experience.

Beforehand the process was that you could either
a) Redeem in $25 increments (2500)
b) Redeem for the exact amount of it's an even dollar amount, e.g. $47.00 could be redeemed for 4700 pts.
c) Redeem for the nearest dollar amount GREATER than your purchase, e.g. $47.01 would have to be redeemed for 4800 pts.

Thus if you have less in points than the purchase amount, e.g. purchase is $190 but you have 18000 pts, then there is no way that you can use categories b or c. Simple logic.
Thanks for your very concise and clear summary of the redemption behavior.

A pleasure to read and to the point, without the abrasive personal attack overtones that do not belong in any blog. That could be simply a writing style issue?

I have always asserted that the redemption amount was, as everyone including me has experienced, in $25 increments IF there were less points available than the travel expense.

When the consumption of extra points round up issue with amounts less than 1.00 was recently corrected, and since that was not in the disclosure, it reminded me bring up that a similar issue of "rounding" occurred for point amounts that were within 2,500 of the travel expense being reimbursed has been going on since I got the card and seemed also to be inconsistent with the disclosure of the points program. This has significant impact when the account is closed (lose up to 2,499 points even though a more than sufficient travel expense might exist).

I was also hoping that others might have some insight as to how this potential lose might be mitigated for those, like me, who were considering closing the account upon the posting of the AF. I even provided an example of how to order the redemptions (if multiple travel expense items were available) as hopefully adding some value to the discussion.
starkiss69 likes this.

Last edited by uds0; Feb 6, 2015 at 9:12 am
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Rarely seen Happy get emotional and while most have started to ignore or read past your comments because of reasons Happy mentioned (which you classify as poking fun), there must be something about you that keeps the interaction going! Props on keeping it civil while disagreeing.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:38 pm

Apparently, this card is being changed to give 3 points per dollar on everything. If this is true, that'll be a 3.3333... percent return!

I had to call Barclaycard due to my card being declined. Apparently, they had sent out a new card with a new number and turned my current card off before I got the new one. I asked why a new one was sent and the rep. said they had new benefits coming and I asked what those were and was told the 3 points for every dollar, and also that the rental car coverage was being improved. Apparently, the new card will arrive next week with a pamphlet explaining the full detail.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:56 pm

Make sure to post photos of the brochure when it arrives.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:37 am

Barclays Arrival/Arrival+ Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

That would be sweet if we can earn 3 points. looks like they want to be more competitive
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:04 am

Disney Vacation Account and A+

I did not see this in the list. Initial funding of a Disney Vacation Account does not trigger a CA and is redeemable. The DVA can be refunded at any time but I have no idea what would happen on the A+.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:36 am

My dad is retired with a couple long term cards open. I just applied him for the Barclay Arrival and he got a pending.

According to Cit his FICO is 824 and he has no debt.

How long does Barclay usually take to review apps ? They denied him once before a couple years ago but he had a USAIR card open at the time and they said he had enough credit with Barclay.

He closed his only Barclay Card in May 2014.

I put in for an additional card in my name but I don't think that should have any bearing.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:46 am

I have a feeling the Rep gave you false info. If they starting a new benefit, don't you think they'll update their site for everyone. Doesn't make sense to send you a new card just for new benefits. There's more to it. Maybe they sent you new card for a data breach somewhere. Data breaches have been common lately lol

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
Apparently, this card is being changed to give 3 points per dollar on everything. If this is true, that'll be a 3.3333... percent return!

I had to call Barclaycard due to my card being declined. Apparently, they had sent out a new card with a new number and turned my current card off before I got the new one. I asked why a new one was sent and the rep. said they had new benefits coming and I asked what those were and was told the 3 points for every dollar, and also that the rental car coverage was being improved. Apparently, the new card will arrive next week with a pamphlet explaining the full detail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.