FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:56 am
uds0

Programs: Delta + United Airmiles
Originally Posted by cdancer20
I'm not sure that it was in writing anywhere (maybe) but I'm sure she is speaking from personal experience.

Beforehand the process was that you could either
a) Redeem in $25 increments (2500)
b) Redeem for the exact amount of it's an even dollar amount, e.g. $47.00 could be redeemed for 4700 pts.
c) Redeem for the nearest dollar amount GREATER than your purchase, e.g. $47.01 would have to be redeemed for 4800 pts.

Thus if you have less in points than the purchase amount, e.g. purchase is $190 but you have 18000 pts, then there is no way that you can use categories b or c. Simple logic.
Thanks for your very concise and clear summary of the redemption behavior.

A pleasure to read and to the point, without the abrasive personal attack overtones that do not belong in any blog. That could be simply a writing style issue?

I have always asserted that the redemption amount was, as everyone including me has experienced, in $25 increments IF there were less points available than the travel expense.

When the consumption of extra points round up issue with amounts less than 1.00 was recently corrected, and since that was not in the disclosure, it reminded me bring up that a similar issue of "rounding" occurred for point amounts that were within 2,500 of the travel expense being reimbursed has been going on since I got the card and seemed also to be inconsistent with the disclosure of the points program. This has significant impact when the account is closed (lose up to 2,499 points even though a more than sufficient travel expense might exist).

I was also hoping that others might have some insight as to how this potential lose might be mitigated for those, like me, who were considering closing the account upon the posting of the AF. I even provided an example of how to order the redemptions (if multiple travel expense items were available) as hopefully adding some value to the discussion.

Last edited by uds0; Feb 6, 2015 at 9:12 am